Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Will not update

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2010
MBaker21
 

Posts: n/a
Will not update
I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due to
problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I tried to reload
Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a blank dvd, but its
the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also randomly goes to a
blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory crash dump" or something
like that. I can't get my virus scan to update or register. Everytime I try
to update windows I get a error code: 80070490

Can someone please help me with this?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2010
MowGreen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Will not update
First, configure the system to clean boot:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

IF a 3rd party firewall was being used, ensure the native Vista firewall
is now Enabled by opening the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel.

Next, download and *save* the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
for Vista 32 bit (x86) from the link on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Once the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs that
you had previously opened.
Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v7-x86.msu.

Restart once CheckSUR has finished it's operation.
See if the system can update now.
If not, then please post the contents of one of the logs that CheckSUR
created:

Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log or the CheckSUR.persist.log


MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked




MBaker21 wrote:
> I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due to
> problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
> with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
> when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
> Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I tried to reload
> Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a blank dvd, but its
> the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also randomly goes to a
> blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory crash dump" or something
> like that. I can't get my virus scan to update or register. Everytime I try
> to update windows I get a error code: 80070490
>
> Can someone please help me with this?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2010
MBaker21
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Will not update
It still will not update. Its still saying "can't check for updates" error
code 80070490.

Here is the log that CheckSUR had on the system.

=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22285
Package Version 7.0
2010-02-26 21:38

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages
(f) CBS Registry
Error 0x80070103 Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0. 1.18000 failed to get owner for package.
(f) CBS Registry
Error 0x80070103 Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0. 1.9 failed to get owner for package.
(f) CBS Registry
Error 0x80070002 Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.1 8000 failed to get Visibility

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 682
Found 3 errors
CBS Registry Error Total count: 3

"MowGreen" wrote:

> First, configure the system to clean boot:
> How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
> Vista or in Windows 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
>
> IF a 3rd party firewall was being used, ensure the native Vista firewall
> is now Enabled by opening the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel.
>
> Next, download and *save* the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
> for Vista 32 bit (x86) from the link on this page:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>
> Once the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs that
> you had previously opened.
> Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v7-x86.msu.
>
> Restart once CheckSUR has finished it's operation.
> See if the system can update now.
> If not, then please post the contents of one of the logs that CheckSUR
> created:
>
> Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log or the CheckSUR.persist.log
>
>
> MowGreen
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>
>
>
>
> MBaker21 wrote:
> > I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due to
> > problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
> > with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
> > when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
> > Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I tried to reload
> > Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a blank dvd, but its
> > the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also randomly goes to a
> > blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory crash dump" or something
> > like that. I can't get my virus scan to update or register. Everytime I try
> > to update windows I get a error code: 80070490
> >
> > Can someone please help me with this?

> .
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2010
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Will not update
What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


MBaker21 wrote:
> It still will not update. Its still saying "can't check for updates" error
> code 80070490.
>
> Here is the log that CheckSUR had on the system.
>
> =================================
> Checking System Update Readiness.
> Binary Version 6.0.6002.22285
> Package Version 7.0
> 2010-02-26 21:38
>
> Checking Windows Servicing Packages
>
> Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
>
> Checking Package Watchlist
>
> Checking Component Watchlist
>
> Checking Packages
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070103 Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0. 1.18000
> failed to get owner for package. (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070103 Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0. 1.9
> failed to get owner for package. (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070002 Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.1 8000
> failed to get Visibility
>
> Checking Component Store
>
> Summary:
> Seconds executed: 682
> Found 3 errors
> CBS Registry Error Total count: 3
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
>> First, configure the system to clean boot:
>> How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows
>> Vista or in Windows 7
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
>>
>> IF a 3rd party firewall was being used, ensure the native Vista firewall
>> is now Enabled by opening the Windows Firewall applet in Control Panel.
>>
>> Next, download and *save* the System Update Readiness Tool (CheckSUR)
>> for Vista 32 bit (x86) from the link on this page:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>>
>> Once the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs that
>> you had previously opened.
>> Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v7-x86.msu.
>>
>> Restart once CheckSUR has finished it's operation.
>> See if the system can update now.
>> If not, then please post the contents of one of the logs that CheckSUR
>> created:
>>
>> Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log or the CheckSUR.persist.log
>>
>>
>> MowGreen
>> ================
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ================
>>
>> banthecheck.com
>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> MBaker21 wrote:
>>> I am running Microsoft Vista 32bit sp1. I had to replace hard drive due
>>> to
>>> problems when computer was made. Hard drive was sent directly to me from
>>> dell with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the
>>> computer when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update
>>> Vista, Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc. I
>>> tried
>>> to reload Vista with the OS disc and the pc is showing that it is a
>>> blank
>>> dvd, but its the same disc that came with the pc from dell. The pc also
>>> randomly goes to a blue screen and says its "collecting data for memory
>>> crash dump" or something like that. I can't get my virus scan to update
>>> or register. Everytime I try to update windows I get a error code:
>>> 80070490
>>>
>>> Can someone please help me with this?

>> .


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2010
MowGreen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Will not update
MBaker21 wrote:
>> Hard drive was sent directly to me from dell
>> with all the operating systems programs and files that were on the computer
>> when it was bought. Since then I have not been able to update Vista,
>> Microsoft Office or any other program that came on the pc.


> Checking Packages
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070103 Package_16_for_KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0. 1.18000
> failed to get owner for package.
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070103 Package_17_for_KB935509~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0. 1.9
> failed to get owner for package.
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070002 Package_for_KB937287~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.1.1 8000
> failed to get Visibility


Package_16_for_KB936330 is a package that was included in Vista SP1.
Package_17_for_KB935509 and Package_for_KB937287 are prerequisite
updates that must be installed prior to the application of SP1.

When you say that Dell sent you the HD " with all the operating systems
programs and files that were on the computer when it was bought ", does
that mean that everything that was on the damaged HD was imaged onto the
new one or that they sent the new HD to you in the same state as when
you first booted up the system ?

0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified
0x80070103 No more data is available

I doubt that the above errors would be causing the various issues that
you included in your initial post. Damaged updating components would not
be causing BSODs and this sure sounds like there's a hardware problem
going on.

Was the system having updating issues when the previous HD was working
properly ?
Have you contacted Dell for their take on this ?


MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) Download size: 18.8 MB You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect. Update type: Important A security issue has been identified in the SQL Server 2005 Service briggs46 Introduce Yourself 0 10-20-2009 10:31
Article ID: 927532 When you use Windows Update to install an update in Windows Vista, the update may not appear in the Programs and Features item in Control Panel KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Windows-Vista Update Center - Update fehlgeschlagen - Code 8007001 Ronald microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.sicherheit 6 07-12-2007 03:02
RE: Windows update error 80070103 - Beta 2 Vista NVIDIA Driver Update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIdW1waHJleXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-28-2007 15:26




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:33.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120