PC freezes after upgrades

mpaintmd2431

PC freezes after upgrades
After the last upgrades were installed, my computer now freezes up after
intervals of non-use. It no longer goes to "sleep" mode - just freezes;
screen is up but no curser or keyboard control. I have to manually turn it
off and on. Service Pack KB948465 seems to be the problem. Could this be?
--
mpaintmd
MowGreen

Re: PC freezes after upgrades
mpaintmd2431 wrote:
> After the last upgrades were installed, my computer now freezes up after
> intervals of non-use. It no longer goes to "sleep" mode - just freezes;
> screen is up but no curser or keyboard control. I have to manually turn it
> off and on. Service Pack KB948465 seems to be the problem. Could this be?

1) By "upgrades" are you referring to the last round of updates that
came out Tuesday, the updates that came out February 9th, or did this
issue occur after applying KB948465 (SP2) ?
2) Was SP2 (KB948465) applied with the installed antivirus/security
suite actively monitoring the system ?
3) Was SP2 applied via Windows Update or did you download the full
standalone SP2, save it, and then apply it manually ?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Re: PC freezes after upgrades
in the background when you installed Vista SP2?

it)?

mpaintmd2431 wrote:
> After the last upgrades were installed, my computer now freezes up after
> intervals of non-use. It no longer goes to "sleep" mode - just freezes;
> screen is up but no curser or keyboard control. I have to manually turn
> it
> off and on. Service Pack KB948465 seems to be the problem. Could this be?

Imerzack

Re: PC freezes after upgrades
This happened to my computer too. Updates were installed on the 25th Feb and
since then it freezes just after loading Windows. Mouse doesn't respond nor
does the keyboard and you have to hold the power button down to turn it off.

Since then I restarted in Safe Mode and uninstalled the updates and my
machine is fine again. I'm using Windows 7, have updates set to auto, and
have Norton Internet Security which looks after virus and firewall. I have
not tried to reinstall the updates yet and will hold off until I hear which
is the problem or if its fixed.

Anyone have more info on the cause of this problem?
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed Vista SP2?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> mpaintmd2431 wrote:
> > After the last upgrades were installed, my computer now freezes up after
> > intervals of non-use. It no longer goes to "sleep" mode - just freezes;
> > screen is up but no curser or keyboard control. I have to manually turn
> > it
> > off and on. Service Pack KB948465 seems to be the problem. Could this be?

> .

Re: PC freezes after upgrades
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1;
Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) in your first post. Thank you.

Imerzack wrote:
> This happened to my computer too. Updates were installed on the 25th Feb
> and
> since then it freezes just after loading Windows. Mouse doesn't respond
> nor
> does the keyboard and you have to hold the power button down to turn it
> off.
>
> Since then I restarted in Safe Mode and uninstalled the updates and my
> machine is fine again. I'm using Windows 7, have updates set to auto, and
> have Norton Internet Security which looks after virus and firewall. I have
> not tried to reinstall the updates yet and will hold off until I hear
> which
> is the problem or if its fixed.
>
> Anyone have more info on the cause of this problem?

<SNIP HIJACKED THREAD>