Windows 7 Language Pack deployment

manserv

Windows 7 Language Pack deployment
I would like to let the users decide which language pack should be installed
on "their" system. With Vista this was no problem. But Microsoft doesn't
deliver MUI packs for Windows 7 through WSUS. What other options do I have?
It should be possible for a standard user (_NOT_ admin mit UAC).

I tried importing the language packs but this fails:

--
Dim iUpdateServer As IUpdateServer
Dim proxy As New AdminProxy

iUpdateServer.ImportUpdateFromCatalogSite("1932080 6-4280-48FC-8AC7-145B5895EA89", myStrArr)
Catch ex As Exception
Console.WriteLine(ex)
Console.ReadKey()
Finally
iUpdateServer = Nothing
End Try
--
Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusObject NotFoundException:
requested updates in GetRelatedRevisionsForUpdates do not exist on MU

Re: Windows 7 Language Pack deployment
WSUS newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

WSUS Support forum:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...erwsus/threads

manserv wrote:
> I would like to let the users decide which language pack should be
> installed
> on "their" system. With Vista this was no problem. But Microsoft doesn't
> deliver MUI packs for Windows 7 through WSUS. What other options do I
> have?
> It should be possible for a standard user (_NOT_ admin mit UAC).
>
> I tried importing the language packs but this fails:
>
> --
> Dim iUpdateServer As IUpdateServer
> Dim proxy As New AdminProxy
> iUpdateServer = AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer("wsus", True)
> Dim myStrArr() As String = {}
> Try
>
> iUpdateServer.ImportUpdateFromCatalogSite("1932080 6-4280-48FC-8AC7-145B5895EA89",
> myStrArr) Catch ex As Exception
> Console.WriteLine(ex)
> Console.ReadKey()
> Finally
> iUpdateServer = Nothing
> End Try
> --
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.WsusObject NotFoundException:
> requested updates in GetRelatedRevisionsForUpdates do not exist on MU
> bei
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExce ptionProcessor.Deserial
> izeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
> bei
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.A dminDataAccessProxy.Cat
> alogSiteGetMetadataAndImport(Guid updateId, Byte[][]
> downloadedFileDigests)
> bei
> Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateSe rver.ImportUpdateFromCa
> talogSite(String updateIdStr, String[] downloadedFilePaths)
> bei ConsoleApplication1.Module1.Main() in
> ConsoleApplication1\Module1.vb:Zeile 10.

manserv

Re: Windows 7 Language Pack deployment
hello PA Bear,

why are you pointing me to the WSUS newsgroup?

As I said, Windows 6.1 MUI packs aren't offered through WSUS any more and I
am looking for an different solution.

Re: Windows 7 Language Pack deployment
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Most of us do not access these
newsgroups via the clunky forum-interface you're using and do not have
instant access to all posts in a given thread. Without quoting, we have no
idea what you're referring to. Thank you.

Add or change an input language (all versions of Win7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...input-language

Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running
Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise [only]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813

manserv wrote:
> hello PA Bear,
>
> why are you pointing me to the WSUS newsgroup?
>
> As I said, Windows 6.1 MUI packs aren't offered through WSUS any more and
> am looking for an different solution.

manserv

Re: Windows 7 Language Pack deployment
Hello PA Bear,

like your first reply my was off topic so I omited citation.

the steps in KB972813 to install MUI packs require administrative privileges.
>> It should be possible for a standard user (_NOT_ admin mit UAC).

"Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running
Enterprise and Ultimate" - but not through WSUS like it is with Vista.
(http://blog.wsuspraxis.de/produkt-support/)

Because Microsoft has abandoned language deployment through WSUS I think I
will have to make msi from the MUI packs that employ lpksetup.exe and use
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259459 (How to allow users who are not
administrators to install MSI packages).

Regards.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Most of us do not access these
> newsgroups via the clunky forum-interface you're using and do not have
> instant access to all posts in a given thread. Without quoting, we have no
> idea what you're referring to. Thank you.
>
> Add or change an input language (all versions of Win7)
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...input-language
>
> Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running
> Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise [only]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972813
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> manserv wrote:
> > hello PA Bear,
> >
> > why are you pointing me to the WSUS newsgroup?
> >
> > As I said, Windows 6.1 MUI packs aren't offered through WSUS any more and
> > am looking for an different solution.

Re: Windows 7 Language Pack deployment
I disagree with you and in fact no updates of any kind can be installed
without Admin approval (tacit or otherwise).