Browser Choice

barrowhill

Browser Choice
Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the option
to install numerous other browsers. I don't want to as already installed
those I want and I cannot find anyway to stop this page opening again.
Help.....I'd like to remove this update or switch off browser choice screen
but suspect that EU forced this issue on all of us. What can I do ???????
Michael

Re: Browser Choice
Exactly what update are you talking about? Sounds to me like you've been
hijacked.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the
> option
> to install numerous other browsers. I don't want to as already installed
> those I want and I cannot find anyway to stop this page opening again.
> Help.....I'd like to remove this update or switch off browser choice
> screen
> but suspect that EU forced this issue on all of us. What can I do
> ???????

barrowhill

Re: Browser Choice
Michael,

KB976002 - Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Usesr of Windows XP

I don't wish this screen to appear but I can find no way to prevent it
appearing.

"Michael" wrote:

> Exactly what update are you talking about? Sounds to me like you've been
> hijacked.
>
> --
>

> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>

> "barrowhill" <barrowhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the
> > option
> > to install numerous other browsers. I don't want to as already installed
> > those I want and I cannot find anyway to stop this page opening again.
> > Help.....I'd like to remove this update or switch off browser choice
> > screen
> > but suspect that EU forced this issue on all of us. What can I do
> > ???????

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Browser Choice
Looks like this is legit:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002

(Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)

Barrowhill: could you post a screenshot of the web page you are being shown?

Harry.

On 2010-02-24 10:33 a.m., barrowhill wrote:
> Michael,
>
> KB976002 - Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Usesr of Windows XP
>
> I don't wish this screen to appear but I can find no way to prevent it
> appearing.
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Exactly what update are you talking about? Sounds to me like you've been
>> hijacked.
>>
>> --
>>

>> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
>> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>>

>> "barrowhill"<barrowhill@discussions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
>>> Today, an update was applied that on opening IE onstartup gives me the
>>> option
>>> to install numerous other browsers. I don't want to as already installed
>>> those I want and I cannot find anyway to stop this page opening again.
>>> Help.....I'd like to remove this update or switch off browser choice
>>> screen
>>> but suspect that EU forced this issue on all of us. What can I do
>>> ???????

barrowhill

Re: Browser Choice
Harry,

Just type "browser choice" into google and there you'll find post showing
screen shot

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Looks like this is legit:
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> (Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)
>
> Barrowhill: could you post a screenshot of the web page you are being shown?
>
> Harry.
>

> On 2010-02-24 10:33 a.m., barrowhill wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > KB976002 - Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Usesr of Windows XP
> >
> > I don't wish this screen to appear but I can find no way to prevent it
> > appearing.
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly what update are you talking about? Sounds to me like you've been
> >> hijacked.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> >> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
> >>

> >> "barrowhill"<barrowhill@discussions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
> >>

> .

barrowhill

Re: Browser Choice
I've restored system to yesterday and performed all installs except KB976002.
This was indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that t
has been hidden. Why or Why!!. This should be optional. Just because EU
won it's case Microsoft shouldn't go belly up in a fit of pique . The'venow
provided the wherewithall as demanded by EU; it users choice to perform.
I've installed firefox and an alternative to IE - I use both. I don't need
dictating to or being forced to do something. Lets make it optonal.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Looks like this is legit:
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> (Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)
>
> Barrowhill: could you post a screenshot of the web page you are being shown?
>
> Harry.
>

> On 2010-02-24 10:33 a.m., barrowhill wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > KB976002 - Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Usesr of Windows XP
> >
> > I don't wish this screen to appear but I can find no way to prevent it
> > appearing.
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly what update are you talking about? Sounds to me like you've been
> >> hijacked.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> >> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
> >>

> >> "barrowhill"<barrowhill@discussions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
> >>

> .

Ǝиçεl

Re: Browser Choice
Hello Harry,

I'm not Barrowhill, but a final screen shot and description of the Internet
Explorer “ballot screen” that will roll out across Europe shortly.
<http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx>
-=-

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Looks like this is legit:
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>
> (Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)
>
> Barrowhill: could you post a screenshot of the web page you are being shown?
>
> Harry.
>

> On 2010-02-24 10:33 a.m., barrowhill wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > KB976002 - Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Usesr of Windows XP
> >
> > I don't wish this screen to appear but I can find no way to prevent it
> > appearing.
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly what update are you talking about? Sounds to me like you've been
> >> hijacked.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> >> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
> >>

> >> "barrowhill"<barrowhill@discussions.microsoft. com> wrote in message
> >>

> .

MowGreen

Re: Browser Choice
The EU *forced* MS to do this. The High Priority given to this "update"
was dictated by the EU. You need to direct your complaint towards them,
not MS.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

barrowhill wrote:
> I've restored system to yesterday and performed all installs except KB976002.
> This was indicated as High Priority and though now hidden is eeident that t
> has been hidden. Why or Why!!. This should be optional. Just because EU
> won it's case Microsoft shouldn't go belly up in a fit of pique . The'venow
> provided the wherewithall as demanded by EU; it users choice to perform.
> I've installed firefox and an alternative to IE - I use both. I don't need
> dictating to or being forced to do something. Lets make it optonal.
>
> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Looks like this is legit:
>>
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002>
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976002
>>
>> (Gee, thanks for the heads up, MS!)
>>
>> Barrowhill: could you post a screenshot of the web page you are being shown?
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>> On 2010-02-24 10:33 a.m., barrowhill wrote:
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> KB976002 - Microsoft Browser Choice Screen Update for EEA Usesr of Windows XP
>>>
>>> I don't wish this screen to appear but I can find no way to prevent it
>>> appearing.

>> .

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Browser Choice
On 2010-02-24 11:29 a.m., barrowhill wrote:

> Harry,
>
> Just type "browser choice" into google and there you'll find post showing
> screen shot

No such luck, but Engel's URL gave me something to look at.

I very much doubt that there isn't a way to bypass the selection process. What
happens if you choose "Select Later"? Or just close the window?

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
FrankV

Re: Browser Choice
You are correct about the EU forcing Microsoft to do this. Try to argue with
the EU to get rid of this (joke).

Frank