Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Security update turned on automatic updates?

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
Mary Fran
 

Posts: n/a
Security update turned on automatic updates?
I have had automatic updates turned OFF on all my computers for at least 2
years.

Yesterday I installed all the latest security updates (EXCEPT KB977165) on
two machines, one running WinXP Home SP2, and the other running WinXP Pro
XP2. I rebooted both computers and everything ran normally on both.

This morning I noticed that both computers started very slowly, and when I
logged in I discovered that automatic updates had been turned ON and was
downloading updates. I immediately opened the Security Center and turned
automatic updates OFF again, but the automatic update service continued to
show in the task list (and was using a lot of memory) until I rebooted the
system.

Now at logon I get an annoying your-computer-may-be-at -risk-type notice
from the Security Center.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know which patch is
responsible? I assure you that I did not make this change, either on the MS
Update website or on my computers.

Any info would be appreciated. I certainly want to prevent this from
happening in the future. I'd also like to turn off that annoying
notification.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
microsoft.news.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?

"Mary Fran" <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2AC29F59-E485-49E2-BAC6-F3113A1CBF92@microsoft.com...
>I have had automatic updates turned OFF on all my computers for at least 2
> years.
>
> Yesterday I installed all the latest security updates (EXCEPT KB977165) on
> two machines, one running WinXP Home SP2, and the other running WinXP Pro
> XP2. I rebooted both computers and everything ran normally on both.
>
> This morning I noticed that both computers started very slowly, and when I
> logged in I discovered that automatic updates had been turned ON and was
> downloading updates. I immediately opened the Security Center and turned
> automatic updates OFF again, but the automatic update service continued to
> show in the task list (and was using a lot of memory) until I rebooted the
> system.
>
> Now at logon I get an annoying your-computer-may-be-at -risk-type notice
> from the Security Center.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know which patch is
> responsible? I assure you that I did not make this change, either on the
> MS
> Update website or on my computers.
>
> Any info would be appreciated. I certainly want to prevent this from
> happening in the future. I'd also like to turn off that annoying
> notification.


Yes Mary, ...It not only reset my AUTOMATIC UPDATES, it indirectly caused a
BSOD.

Read the KB977165 - Hasi been etc. thread


--

VIP



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
20100221
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?

"Mary Fran" <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2AC29F59-E485-49E2-BAC6-F3113A1CBF92@microsoft.com...

> Now at logon I get an annoying your-computer-may-be-at -risk-type notice
> from the Security Center.
>


You can block this by going to Security Centre (Center) and this time on the
left side there is an item called: "Change the way Security Centre Alerts
me". Click on this and untick the item you don't want. I have kept only
the Windows Firewall.

I have not bothered to install any of the updates since SP3 was released and
I am not regretting at all!!

hth


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?
Mary Fran wrote:
> I have had automatic updates turned OFF on all my computers for at
> least 2 years.
>
> Yesterday I installed all the latest security updates (EXCEPT
> KB977165) on two machines, one running WinXP Home SP2, and the
> other running WinXP Pro XP2. I rebooted both computers and
> everything ran normally on both.
>
> This morning I noticed that both computers started very slowly, and
> when I logged in I discovered that automatic updates had been
> turned ON and was downloading updates. I immediately opened the
> Security Center and turned automatic updates OFF again, but the
> automatic update service continued to show in the task list (and
> was using a lot of memory) until I rebooted the system.
>
> Now at logon I get an annoying your-computer-may-be-at -risk-type
> notice from the Security Center.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know which patch is
> responsible? I assure you that I did not make this change, either
> on the MS Update website or on my computers.
>
> Any info would be appreciated. I certainly want to prevent this
> from happening in the future. I'd also like to turn off that
> annoying notification.


First - what exactly is the setting on your automatic updates?

- Automatic
- Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
- Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
- Turn off automatic update

Second - what exactly was the setting on your automatic updates?

- Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
- Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
- Turn off automatic update

I don't believe the Microsoft updates did this to your machines. I have
four Windows XP machines where Automatic updates are NOT enabled, have not
been for years. Still are not and they are up to date. Including 977165.

BTW - 977165 seems to only cause issues on machines that are infested with
malware of some sort.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
microsoft.news.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23qhPmjxsKHA.6088@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Mary Fran wrote:
>> I have had automatic updates turned OFF on all my computers for at
>> least 2 years.
>>
>> Yesterday I installed all the latest security updates (EXCEPT
>> KB977165) on two machines, one running WinXP Home SP2, and the
>> other running WinXP Pro XP2. I rebooted both computers and
>> everything ran normally on both.
>>
>> This morning I noticed that both computers started very slowly, and
>> when I logged in I discovered that automatic updates had been
>> turned ON and was downloading updates. I immediately opened the
>> Security Center and turned automatic updates OFF again, but the
>> automatic update service continued to show in the task list (and
>> was using a lot of memory) until I rebooted the system.
>>
>> Now at logon I get an annoying your-computer-may-be-at -risk-type
>> notice from the Security Center.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know which patch is
>> responsible? I assure you that I did not make this change, either
>> on the MS Update website or on my computers.
>>
>> Any info would be appreciated. I certainly want to prevent this
>> from happening in the future. I'd also like to turn off that
>> annoying notification.

>
> First - what exactly is the setting on your automatic updates?
>
> - Automatic
> - Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
> - Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
> - Turn off automatic update
>
> Second - what exactly was the setting on your automatic updates?
>
> - Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
> - Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
> - Turn off automatic update
>
> I don't believe the Microsoft updates did this to your machines.



I do...
My machine _definitely_ rest itself to *Download and Install Automatically*.

It had been set from that to *Notify me but don't automatically download or
install them* two days previously, and I also got rid off all *System
Restore* points before restarting and making a fresh one, so it couldn't
have come from there.


I have
> four Windows XP machines where Automatic updates are NOT enabled, have not
> been for years. Still are not and they are up to date. Including 977165.
>
> BTW - 977165 seems to only cause issues on machines that are infested with
> malware of some sort.


W32/Alure as I understand it.

--

VIP


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?
microsoft.news.com wrote:
>> I don't believe the Microsoft updates did this to your machines.

>
> I do...
> My machine _definitely_ rest itself to *Download and Install
> Automatically*.
> It had been set from that to *Notify me but don't automatically
> download or install them* two days previously, and I also got rid
> off all *System Restore* points before restarting and making a
> fresh one, so it couldn't have come from there.


So, although my settings on two of my systems (Windows XP Professional with
SP3) are/were "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them"
just like you say yours were and I am fully up to date with even 977165
installed - you still insist that the Microsoft updates changed your setting
for automatic updates when it did nothing to mine and we are - excluding the
fact I installed 977165 - at the same patch level?

So - what is different about your system? Special that would have made it
do this?
(And in the end - wouldn't it be that special thing that did it, not the
updates?)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
microsoft.news.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eS9k3zxsKHA.5936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> microsoft.news.com wrote:
>>> I don't believe the Microsoft updates did this to your machines.

>>
>> I do...
>> My machine _definitely_ rest itself to *Download and Install
>> Automatically*.
>> It had been set from that to *Notify me but don't automatically
>> download or install them* two days previously, and I also got rid
>> off all *System Restore* points before restarting and making a
>> fresh one, so it couldn't have come from there.

>
> So, although my settings on two of my systems (Windows XP Professional
> with SP3) are/were "Notify me but don't automatically download or install
> them" just like you say yours were and I am fully up to date with even
> 977165 installed - you still insist that the Microsoft updates changed
> your setting for automatic updates when it did nothing to mine and we
> are - excluding the fact I installed 977165 - at the same patch level?
>
> So - what is different about your system? Special that would have made it
> do this?
> (And in the end - wouldn't it be that special thing that did it, not the
> updates?)
>
> --


You tell me....
You're the MVP!


The sequence of events:

About 10 days ago I got a BSOD when I switched on.
I spent two days trying to fix it and then rang a friend to help. As it
turned out I had almost got there, but got defeated as I am nearly
blind...anyway he fixed it via the Repair Console. We just briefly checked
that it was OK and went out.
I came home a few hours later, switched on and....got a BSOD <again>.
I fixed it as before, and this time _I set System restore to inform only_.

I then, as I said:

"also got rid off all *System
Restore* points before restarting and making a fresh one, so it couldn't
have come from there.*

I now get repeatedly nagged to download KB977165......
There is NO WAY ON EARTH that I would have reset Automatic Updates yet.

I may be old and blind, but I am not _that_ stupid!
--

VIP





--
VIP


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?
microsoft.news.com wrote:
>> I don't believe the Microsoft updates did this to your machines.

>
> I do...
> My machine _definitely_ rest itself to *Download and Install
> Automatically*.
> It had been set from that to *Notify me but don't automatically
> download or install them* two days previously, and I also got rid
> off all *System Restore* points before restarting and making a
> fresh one, so it couldn't have come from there.


Shenan Stanley wrote:
> So, although my settings on two of my systems (Windows XP Professional
> with SP3) are/were "Notify me but don't automatically download or install
> them" just like you say yours were and I am fully up to date with even
> 977165 installed - you still insist that the Microsoft updates changed
> your setting for automatic updates when it did nothing to mine and we
> are - excluding the fact I installed 977165 - at the same patch level?
>
> So - what is different about your system? Special that would have made it
> do this?
> (And in the end - wouldn't it be that special thing that did it, not the
> updates?)


microsoft.news.com wrote:
> You tell me....
> You're the MVP!
>
> The sequence of events:
>
> About 10 days ago I got a BSOD when I switched on.
> I spent two days trying to fix it and then rang a friend to help. As it
> turned out I had almost got there, but got defeated as I am nearly
> blind...anyway he fixed it via the Repair Console. We just briefly checked
> that it was OK and went out.
> I came home a few hours later, switched on and....got a BSOD <again>.
> I fixed it as before, and this time _I set System restore to inform only_.
>
> I then, as I said:
>
> "also got rid off all *System
> Restore* points before restarting and making a fresh one, so it couldn't
> have come from there.*
>
> I now get repeatedly nagged to download KB977165......
> There is NO WAY ON EARTH that I would have reset Automatic Updates yet.
>
> I may be old and blind, but I am not _that_ stupid!



An MVP is nothing more than a person who has helped people on these
newsgroups and somneone acknowledged that effort. It could be you.

My experience tells me that the updates did not change the setting of your
Automatic Updates. You did. Otherwise - others - many others - would be
having this experience. You changed many things, had many issues and even
did things that don't make sense... (You said, "I set System restore to
inform only", there is no such setting for system restore.)

My thought is this... You are 'nearly blind' (your words) - you clicked the
wrong thing.

Simplest solution often the right one.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
microsoft.news.com
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eQG6KbysKHA.6088@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> microsoft.news.com wrote:
>>> I don't believe the Microsoft updates did this to your machines.

>>
>> I do...
>> My machine _definitely_ rest itself to *Download and Install
>> Automatically*.
>> It had been set from that to *Notify me but don't automatically
>> download or install them* two days previously, and I also got rid
>> off all *System Restore* points before restarting and making a
>> fresh one, so it couldn't have come from there.

>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> So, although my settings on two of my systems (Windows XP Professional
>> with SP3) are/were "Notify me but don't automatically download or install
>> them" just like you say yours were and I am fully up to date with even
>> 977165 installed - you still insist that the Microsoft updates changed
>> your setting for automatic updates when it did nothing to mine and we
>> are - excluding the fact I installed 977165 - at the same patch level?
>>
>> So - what is different about your system? Special that would have made
>> it do this?
>> (And in the end - wouldn't it be that special thing that did it, not the
>> updates?)

>
> microsoft.news.com wrote:
>> You tell me....
>> You're the MVP!
>>
>> The sequence of events:
>>
>> About 10 days ago I got a BSOD when I switched on.
>> I spent two days trying to fix it and then rang a friend to help. As it
>> turned out I had almost got there, but got defeated as I am nearly
>> blind...anyway he fixed it via the Repair Console. We just briefly
>> checked that it was OK and went out.
>> I came home a few hours later, switched on and....got a BSOD <again>.
>> I fixed it as before, and this time _I set System restore to inform
>> only_.
>>
>> I then, as I said:
>>
>> "also got rid off all *System
>> Restore* points before restarting and making a fresh one, so it couldn't
>> have come from there.*
>>
>> I now get repeatedly nagged to download KB977165......
>> There is NO WAY ON EARTH that I would have reset Automatic Updates yet.
>>
>> I may be old and blind, but I am not _that_ stupid!

>
>
> An MVP is nothing more than a person who has helped people on these
> newsgroups and somneone acknowledged that effort. It could be you.
>


No offence meant, and yes, I knew what an MVP is.


> My experience tells me that the updates did not change the setting of your
> Automatic Updates. You did. Otherwise - others - many others - would be
> having this experience. You changed many things, had many issues and even
> did things that don't make sense... (You said, "I set System restore to
> inform only", there is no such setting for system restore.)
>
> My thought is this... You are 'nearly blind' (your words) - you clicked
> the wrong thing.



You are wrong <sorry>
I was ULTRA careful not to do that.
I even went back into there and double checked it to make sure, that'show I
KNOW I am right on this.

>
> Simplest solution often the right one.


Sometimes...
>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2010
Mary Fran
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Security update turned on automatic updates?


"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Mary Fran wrote:
> > I have had automatic updates turned OFF on all my computers for at
> > least 2 years.
> >
> > Yesterday I installed all the latest security updates (EXCEPT
> > KB977165) on two machines, one running WinXP Home SP2, and the
> > other running WinXP Pro XP2. I rebooted both computers and
> > everything ran normally on both.
> >
> > This morning I noticed that both computers started very slowly, and
> > when I logged in I discovered that automatic updates had been
> > turned ON and was downloading updates. I immediately opened the
> > Security Center and turned automatic updates OFF again, but the
> > automatic update service continued to show in the task list (and
> > was using a lot of memory) until I rebooted the system.
> >
> > Now at logon I get an annoying your-computer-may-be-at -risk-type
> > notice from the Security Center.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know which patch is
> > responsible? I assure you that I did not make this change, either
> > on the MS Update website or on my computers.
> >
> > Any info would be appreciated. I certainly want to prevent this
> > from happening in the future. I'd also like to turn off that
> > annoying notification.

>
> First - what exactly is the setting on your automatic updates?
>
> - Automatic
> - Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
> - Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
> - Turn off automatic update
>
> Second - what exactly was the setting on your automatic updates?
>
> - Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
> - Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
> - Turn off automatic update
>
> I don't believe the Microsoft updates did this to your machines. I have
> four Windows XP machines where Automatic updates are NOT enabled, have not
> been for years. Still are not and they are up to date. Including 977165.
>
> BTW - 977165 seems to only cause issues on machines that are infested with
> malware of some sort.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> > .

1. At present, the setting on my automatic updates is: Turn off automatic
update.

2. Before going to the MS Update website and installing updates yesterday,
the setting on my automatic updates was: Turn off automatic updates.

After logging in this morning, I found that the setting on automatic updates
on both machines had been changed to: Automatic.

3. Please note that I did NOT download and install KB977165; I only
installed the other updates.

I am quite confident that neither machine is infested with malware, since I
had kept my MS updates current, my AV (ESET NOD) is up-to-date and I had also
used on-line scanners (BitDefender & F-Secure) to double-check before
downloading the MS patches.

(I still omitted KB977165 as I'm not convinced that MS has identified what's
causing the BSOD problem.)



>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The daily automatic updates are turned off Javier VFM microsoft.public.microsoft_update_catalog 2 11-19-2009 18:08
Automatic update turned off Maziuliux microsoft.public.windowsupdate 21 11-19-2009 14:07
Automatic Updates are turned off Softail microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 11-17-2008 05:36
Automatic Update does not get turned on jaggicandico microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 07-05-2008 17:03
Automatic Update turned ON Mandatory now? Weathered microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 03-18-2008 13:42




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120