KB977165 - Has it been fixed yet?

microsoft.news.com

KB977165 - Has it been fixed yet?

Is it safe to install this update now

I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to complete
<sigh>.

Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent interaction
with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now _safely_ install the
update?

How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?

I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy and Trend
Housecall.

AVG, Spybot and Trend Housecall had found one or two infections, (why didn't
the Windows AV and firewall stop them?) but a retest gives the all clear
now.

Incidentally, after the BSOD was fixed by uninstalling the update, I set
Automatic
Updates to *Inform only*. Two days later it had reset _itself_ back to
*Automatically
download and install* _WHICH IT DID! Fortunately, I noticed the *Do you want
restart* message, said NO! and did a System Restore.

Pls excuse typos/formattig, I am nearly blind.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB977165 - Has it been fixed yet?
"microsoft.news.com" <zulu.romeotangohotel@ntlworld.com> schrieb:

> Is it safe to install this update now

It's still safe to install KB977165 if you don't have malware/a rootkit
running on your system.

> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to complete
> <sigh>.
>
> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent interaction
> with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now _safely_ install the
> update?
>
> How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?

There's no other way. Make sure to format the paratition too.

Bye,
Freudi
microsoft.news.com

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "microsoft.news.com" <zulu.romeotangohotel@ntlworld.com> schrieb:
>
>> Is it safe to install this update now

> It's still safe to install KB977165 if you don't have malware/a rootkit
> running on your system.
>
>> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to
>> complete
>> <sigh>.
>>
>> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent interaction
>> with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now _safely_ install
>> the
>> update?
>>
>> How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?

> There's no other way. Make sure to format the paratition too.

Freudi, thanks, I know you are right, but there is no way I can see well
enough to reinstall..

There must be _some_ way to check if I am clean, surely?

Has the Kb977165 that my computer keeps telling me to download been modified
and reissued after MS pulled the original, that's what I want to know...

Cheers

--

VIP

Shenan Stanley

microsoft.news.com wrote:
> Is it safe to install this update now
>
> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to
> complete <sigh>.
>
> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent
> interaction with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now
> _safely_ install the update?
>
> How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?
>
> I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy
> and Trend Housecall.
>
> AVG, Spybot and Trend Housecall had found one or two infections,
> (why didn't the Windows AV and firewall stop them?) but a retest
> gives the all clear now.
>
> Incidentally, after the BSOD was fixed by uninstalling the update,
> I set Automatic
> Updates to *Inform only*. Two days later it had reset _itself_ back
> to *Automatically
> download and install* _WHICH IT DID! Fortunately, I noticed the *Do
> you want to
> restart* message, said NO! and did a System Restore.
>
> Pls excuse typos/formattig, I am nearly blind.

No malware, no issues.

You said, "I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy
and Trend Housecall."

What is "Windows Firewall and AV"? There is a built in Windows XP firewall,
but natively, Windows XP does not come with any AV (antivirus).

You then mention AVG Free (antivirus) - and if you have misspoke and
actually have some other antivirus installed - having two antivirus
applications installed can be very bad. Not to mention that as of the
latest few versions, AVG has become bloated in most people's opinions. I
recommend you drop AVG and whatever that "Windows AV" might be and either
get Avira AntiVir (free) or eSet NOD32 (antivirus only, not the suite - at a
cost of under $60 U.S. for two years.)

Drop Sypobot Search and Destroy. Uninstall it. It's a good cleanup tool,
but others have proven themselves better, IMHO.

You also do not need Trend Housecall unless things are needing cleanup - not
all the time.

With the Windows Firewall enabled (and as few exceptions, if any allowed)
and a decent antivirus (I mentioned two, there are others) and an
occassional scan with MalwareBytes (or purchase it for under $30 U.S. for
life and run it resident for protection) you have done a good amount in
improving overall system performance and protection, IMO.

Want to get SP3 installed? (I believe you should, you are behind and soon
will not be getting as many/any updates for your unsupported operating
system.) I'd print this out if you plan on doing it.

First - please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
Windows XP you have:

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears. When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

If there is, let everyone here know this and stop the quest - as you have no
SP3 for your operating system.

If there is not, let everyone here know this and continue the quest.

Next question has to do with what type of computer you own and what type
of processor it has. It's pretty straight forward: Is it an HP branded
computer and does it have an AMD processor installed?

If the answer to BOTH of those is YES, then you need to prevent a known
issue with that combination using the following instructions:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com:80/ewfrf/w...tem=pv-60484-2

If the answer to EITHER of those is NO, then you are generally safe in
continuing on. But either way - answer back here so everyone can know
what you are doing/what you have step-by-excruciating-step.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Let's look at your copy/license of Windows XP now - validate it if you
will. Visit the following web site in Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
and locate/click on the "Start Diagnostics" blue button on the left side
of the web page. Does everything pass? If not - what are the diagnostic
steps they have you go through?

Next, download/run:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either Run or Save the tool. Choose to Run the
tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an Internet
Explorer-Security Warning dialog box for the Windows Genuine Advantage
Diagnostic Tool; you must choose to Run this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose Continue to run
the diagnostic report. If the RESOLVE button is available after running
the diagnostics, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to
attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the Windows tab and
then click on Copy.
2. Please return to this post and paste the results here for additional
review.

Now that we have some base information, let's cleanup and get ready to
install Windows XP SP3 onto your Windows XP system.

Reboot so you start with a fresh machine. For everything here you will
need to logon as an user with administrative (installation) priviledges.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up. No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files. It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about. But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Now for SP3...

Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

You are just saving it right now - not running it yet. There will be no
file size deviation - it is 316.4MB.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3. Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable.

Reboot when requested to do so.

Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes.

Reboot.

Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

20100221

"microsoft.news.com" <zulu.romeotangohotel@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent interaction
> with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now _safely_ install
> the update?

You need to worry about the virus you were infected with not the said hotfix
you are talking about. In any case, there is absolutely no need to install
any updates if you have got SP3 installed and your firewall has been
configured to allow NO exceptions. If you want any further advise on this
please say so,.

hth

Shenan Stanley

20100221 wrote:
> You need to worry about the virus you were infected with not the
> said hotfix you are talking about. In any case, there is
> absolutely no need to install any updates if you have got SP3
> installed and your firewall has been configured to allow NO
> exceptions. If you want any further advise on this please say so.

Advise away, please.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

> microsoft.news.com wrote:
>> Is it safe to install this update now
>>
>> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to
>> complete <sigh>.
>>
>> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent
>> interaction with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now
>> _safely_ install the update?
>>
>> How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?
>>
>> I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy
>> and Trend Housecall.
>>
>> AVG, Spybot and Trend Housecall had found one or two infections,
>> (why didn't the Windows AV and firewall stop them?) but a retest
>> gives the all clear now.
>>
>> Incidentally, after the BSOD was fixed by uninstalling the update,
>> I set Automatic
>> Updates to *Inform only*. Two days later it had reset _itself_ back
>> to *Automatically
>> download and install* _WHICH IT DID! Fortunately, I noticed the *Do
>> you want to
>> restart* message, said NO! and did a System Restore.
>>
>> Pls excuse typos/formattig, I am nearly blind.

> No malware, no issues.
>
> You said, "I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search &
> Destroy and Trend Housecall."
>
> What is "Windows Firewall and AV"? There is a built in Windows XP
> firewall, but natively, Windows XP does not come with any AV (antivirus).

? I _thought it had_<shrug>
The Security Centre tells my I have AV _on_, I assume it must mean AVG then
<shrug>
How am I supposed to know that?

You mean to tell me MS haven't the nous to develop their own buit in AV?
That's like selling a car without brakes!

> You then mention AVG Free (antivirus) - and if you have misspoke and
> actually have some other antivirus installed

No
Since the BSOD, on my friens's advice I used Trend Housecall which nailed 1
virus and 1 malware that everything else had missed.

- having two antivirus
> applications installed can be very bad. Not to mention that as of the
> latest few versions, AVG has become bloated in most people's opinions. I
> recommend you drop AVG and whatever that "Windows AV" might be and either
> get Avira AntiVir (free) or eSet NOD32 (antivirus only, not the suite - at
> a cost of under $60 U.S. for two years.)
>
> Drop Sypobot Search and Destroy. Uninstall it. It's a good cleanup tool,
> but others have proven themselves better, IMHO.
>
> You also do not need Trend Housecall unless things are needing cleanup -
> not all the time.

OK

> With the Windows Firewall enabled (and as few exceptions, if any allowed)
> and a decent antivirus (I mentioned two, there are others) and an
> occassional scan with MalwareBytes (or purchase it for under $30 U.S. for
> life and run it resident for protection) you have done a good amount in
> improving overall system performance and protection, IMO.
>

> Want to get SP3 installed? (I believe you should, you are behind and soon
> will not be getting as many/any updates for your unsupported operating
> system.) I'd print this out

OK, bear in mind I will need font size 72 BOLD tho...

if you plan on doing it.

> First - please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
> Windows XP you have:
>
> Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
> "Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in Windows XP to
> having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
> from the menu that appears. When the new window appears - ensure you are
> under the "General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
> have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
> Professional x64 Edition Version"?
>
> If there is, let everyone here know this and stop the quest - as you have
> no
> SP3 for your operating system.
>
> If there is not, let everyone here know this and continue the quest.
>
> Next question has to do with what type of computer you own and what type
> of processor it has. It's pretty straight forward: Is it an HP branded
> computer and does it have an AMD processor installed?
>
> If the answer to BOTH of those is YES, then you need to prevent a known
> issue with that combination using the following instructions:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com:80/ewfrf/w...tem=pv-60484-2
>
> If the answer to EITHER of those is NO,

Dell XPS9150
XP Po

then you are generally safe in
> continuing on. But either way - answer back here so everyone can know
> what you are doing/what you have step-by-excruciating-step.
>
> What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?

I use Firefox... and I would uninstall IE if only I could.
I wish MS would market a *lite* version of XP without all the <deleted>

I've snipped the rest for brevity.

<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is all getting _far_ to complicated!

I have copied and saved that bit to a txet file for another day!
My eyes have had it for now, so excuse typos....

Thanks for your input :-)
..

--

VIP

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: KB977165 - Has it been fixed yet?
"microsoft.news.com" <zulu.romeotangohotel@ntlworld.com> schrieb:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Would you mind replacing the server's name with yours? TIA.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc512587.aspx

> There must be _some_ way to check if I am clean, surely?

No.

> Has the Kb977165 that my computer keeps telling me to download been modified
> and reissued after MS pulled the original, that's what I want to know...

No and no, as stated earlier. There's no known issue with KB977165, but
there are issues *malware* has, in case KB977165 is installed.

Bye,
Freudi
Daave

Re: KB977165 - Has it been fixed yet?
Inline.

microsoft.news.com wrote:
> Is it safe to install this update now

Assuming your PC is clean, it is safe to install the KB977165 update.

> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to
> complete <sigh>.

This is not a good thing. Not being able to complete the installation of
SP3 can mean you have malware. Of course, you might just be performing
the install incorrectly. For instance, it is important that there are
*no* security programs (like any resident antivirus program or something
like Zone Alarm) running. Personally, I prefer to configure a Clean Boot
and use the standalone SP3 installation file. If you would like further
guidance on how to best install SP3, feel free to ask. (Oh, also you
really should make sure IE is at the IE6 level before installing SP3 in
order to avoid complications down the road in the event you ever need to
perform a Repair Install.)

> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent
> interaction with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now
> _safely_ install the update?

You can do so if you are completely malware-free.

> How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?

Well, a Clean Install is the only way you can be 100% sure. But if you
want to avoid doing this, you can run numerous malware scans (I
recommend Avira Antivir, MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntispyware
as well as two or three online scans -- BitDefender, Trend Micro's
HouseCall and Kaspersky are all good). Posting a HijackThis log to an
appropriate Web forum would be a good idea, too, if you believe you
definitely have residual traces of malware.

> I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy and
> Trend Housecall.

While it's true there is a Windows Firewall (which is certainly
recommended!), there is no such thing as "Windows AV." Perhaps you mean
Microsoft Security Essentials? If not, what are you referring to?

> AVG, Spybot and Trend Housecall had found one or two infections, (why
> didn't the Windows AV and firewall stop them?) but a retest gives the
> all clear now.
>
> Incidentally, after the BSOD was fixed by uninstalling the update, I
> set Automatic
> Updates to *Inform only*. Two days later it had reset _itself_ back to
> *Automatically
> download and install* _WHICH IT DID!

Hmmmm. That's not supposed to happen! Before closing the Automatic
Updates window, did you click on either Apply or OK?

> Fortunately, I noticed the *Do you want to restart* message, said
> NO! and did a System Restore.

Depending on how far back you went with your System Restore, you may
have put the malware right back where it was! Best practice after
cleaning up after malware is to turn System Restore off and then turn it
back on (which will delete all the old restore points; this would
prevent a re-infection from occurring).

Re: KB977165 - Has it been fixed yet?
> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to complete
> <sigh>.

If you can install SP3 now, chances are your computer's no longer infected
and installing KB977165 will not cause a BSOD again.

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP...SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.