KB977165 wants to install over and over

2harts4ever

KB977165 wants to install over and over
Good morning,

I successfully (I thought) downloaded and installed KB977165 on Feb. 10 but
as soon as I was finished it was once again offered as an available update. I
have my Microsoft Updates set to notify me when one is available but not to
download it.

For the record I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8 and
fully patched. I utilize Avast (Free) as my anti-virus and Comodo (Free) as
my firewall and also check for spyware with Windows Defender, Spybot S&D,
Spyware Blaster, Trojan Hunter and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional. I utilize
SUPERAntiSpyware as my only 'real-time' spyware protection program, the
others are on demand scanners. All programs are fully patched and updated.
In addition, PSI.exe gives me a clean bill of health.

The KB977165 update has shown as being installed on the 'Add/Remove
Programs' page since the initial day I downloaded and installed it.

While searching for the cause of this update being offered over and over I
have seen where some say if a Security update is listed as installed in your
Add/Remove folder then you are okay and it is then okay to 'hide' it from
being offered in the future.

So, what I am really trying to find out is if 'hiding it' is okay as long as
it shows as being installed on my computer?

Also, has or will Microsoft issued a fix to stop this update from being
offered over and over?

Outside of it being offered over and over I have experienced no problems
whatsoever since installing it.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever
RE: KB977165 wants to install over and o

RE: KB977165 wants to install over and over

"2harts4ever" wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I successfully (I thought) downloaded and installed KB977165 on Feb. 10 but
> as soon as I was finished it was once again offered as an available update. I
> have my Microsoft Updates set to notify me when one is available but not to
> download it.
>
> For the record I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
> 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8 and
> fully patched. I utilize Avast (Free) as my anti-virus and Comodo (Free) as
> my firewall and also check for spyware with Windows Defender, Spybot S&D,
> Spyware Blaster, Trojan Hunter and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional. I utilize
> SUPERAntiSpyware as my only 'real-time' spyware protection program, the
> others are on demand scanners. All programs are fully patched and updated.
> In addition, PSI.exe gives me a clean bill of health.
>
> The KB977165 update has shown as being installed on the 'Add/Remove
> Programs' page since the initial day I downloaded and installed it.
>
> While searching for the cause of this update being offered over and over I
> have seen where some say if a Security update is listed as installed in your
> Add/Remove folder then you are okay and it is then okay to 'hide' it from
> being offered in the future.
>
> So, what I am really trying to find out is if 'hiding it' is okay as long as
> it shows as being installed on my computer?
>
> Also, has or will Microsoft issued a fix to stop this update from being
> offered over and over?
>
> Outside of it being offered over and over I have experienced no problems
> whatsoever since installing it.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever

Re: KB977165 wants to install over and over
Hello, again!

> The KB977165 update has shown as being installed on the 'Add/Remove
> Programs' page since the initial day I downloaded and installed it.

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate | Select CUSTOM and scan |
Uncheck/deselect KB977165 and hide it ("Don't show me this update again")
but install any/all critical security updates offered. If a Root
Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category on
the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full
advantage of IE8's enhanced security.

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

2harts4ever wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I successfully (I thought) downloaded and installed KB977165 on Feb. 10
> but
> as soon as I was finished it was once again offered as an available
> update.
> I have my Microsoft Updates set to notify me when one is available but not
> to download it.
>
> For the record I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
> 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8 and
> fully patched. I utilize Avast (Free) as my anti-virus and Comodo (Free)
> as
> my firewall and also check for spyware with Windows Defender, Spybot S&D,
> Spyware Blaster, Trojan Hunter and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional. I
> utilize
> SUPERAntiSpyware as my only 'real-time' spyware protection program, the
> others are on demand scanners. All programs are fully patched and
> updated.
> In addition, PSI.exe gives me a clean bill of health.
>
> The KB977165 update has shown as being installed on the 'Add/Remove
> Programs' page since the initial day I downloaded and installed it.
>
> While searching for the cause of this update being offered over and over I
> have seen where some say if a Security update is listed as installed in
> your
> Add/Remove folder then you are okay and it is then okay to 'hide' it from
> being offered in the future.
>
> So, what I am really trying to find out is if 'hiding it' is okay as long
> as
> it shows as being installed on my computer?
>
> Also, has or will Microsoft issued a fix to stop this update from being
> offered over and over?
>
> Outside of it being offered over and over I have experienced no problems
> whatsoever since installing it.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever

2harts4ever

Re: KB977165 wants to install over and over
Hi PA Bear,

Glad to see you answered. I have done what you suggested but I am curious
about what you had me do.

(1) The 'Download' folder you had me empty had 119 items in it. What were
they?

(2) Do you think M/S will ever fix what was causing KB977165 to try to
download over and over or will I just have to be content to let it in its
'hidden' state from here on out?

Once again, thanks for your help and expertise,

Regards,

2harts4ever

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > While searching for the cause of this update being offered over and over I
> > have seen where some say if a Security update is listed as installed in
> > your
> > Add/Remove folder then you are okay and it is then okay to 'hide' it from
> > being offered in the future.
> >
> > So, what I am really trying to find out is if 'hiding it' is okay as long
> > as
> > it shows as being installed on my computer?
> >
> > Also, has or will Microsoft issued a fix to stop this update from being
> > offered over and over?
> >
> > Outside of it being offered over and over I have experienced no problems
> > whatsoever since installing it.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever

> .

Re: KB977165 wants to install over and over
A1. The folder contained installers & related files used by Automatic
Updates in the past to install updates. Over the course of time, the
contents of the folder would have been deleted anyway.

A2. I dunno why you kept seeing AU trying to (re)install KB977165,
especially since it was "pulled" [1] less than 48 hours after it was
released; cf.
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx

PS: The reason KB977165 was pulled had nothing to do with what happened to
you; cf.
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...n-rootkit.aspx

================
[1] No longer being offered by Automatic Updates, even if the installer had
been downloaded to the Downloads folder already. KB977165 remained (and
remains AFAIK) available for manual installation via Windows/Microsoft
Update website.
--
~PA Bear

2harts4ever wrote:
> [...]

>>> The KB977165 update has shown as being installed on the 'Add/Remove
>>> Programs' page since the initial day I downloaded and installed it.
>>>
>>> While searching for the cause of this update being offered over and over
>>> have seen where some say if a Security update is listed as installed in
>>> your
>>> Add/Remove folder then you are okay and it is then okay to 'hide' it
>>> from
>>> being offered in the future.
>>>
>>> So, what I am really trying to find out is if 'hiding it' is okay as
>>> long
>>> as
>>> it shows as being installed on my computer?
>>>
>>> Also, has or will Microsoft issued a fix to stop this update from being
>>> offered over and over?
>>>
>>> Outside of it being offered over and over I have experienced no problems

2harts4ever

Re: KB977165 wants to install over and over
Hi Pa Bear,

One more time please.

Right now I know KB977165 in installed on my computer because it says so on
my Add/Remove Program page and Windows Update History lists it as being
successfully installed on 2-10-10.

After doing what you suggested the repeat notification now rests in my
Hidden Updates folder and everytime I go to Windows Update I am notified I
have hidden an important security update.

I have and always have had Automatic Updates set so it notifies me that an
update is available and then it is up to me when and if I want to download
and install it.

In a nutshell ... am I okay with all this?

As always your insight is always appreciated!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> A1. The folder contained installers & related files used by Automatic
> Updates in the past to install updates. Over the course of time, the
> contents of the folder would have been deleted anyway.
>
> A2. I dunno why you kept seeing AU trying to (re)install KB977165,
> especially since it was "pulled" [1] less than 48 hours after it was
> released; cf.
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>
> PS: The reason KB977165 was pulled had nothing to do with what happened to
> you; cf.
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...n-rootkit.aspx
>
> ================
> [1] No longer being offered by Automatic Updates, even if the installer had
> been downloaded to the Downloads folder already. KB977165 remained (and
> remains AFAIK) available for manual installation via Windows/Microsoft
> Update website.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> 2harts4ever wrote:
> > Hi PA Bear,
> >
> > Glad to see you answered. I have done what you suggested but I am curious
> > about what you had me do.
> >
> > (1) The 'Download' folder you had me empty had 119 items in it. What
> > were
> > they?
> >
> > (2) Do you think M/S will ever fix what was causing KB977165 to try to
> > download over and over or will I just have to be content to let it in its
> > 'hidden' state from here on out?
> >
> > Once again, thanks for your help and expertise,
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, again!

> >> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> >> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
> >>
> >> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> >> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> >> Close the window.
> >>
> >> 3. Open Internet Explorer (only) to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
> >> http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate | Select CUSTOM and scan |
> >> Uncheck/deselect KB977165 and hide it ("Don't show me this update again")
> >> but install any/all critical security updates offered. If a Root
> >> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Software updates category
> >> on
> >> the left-hand side of the scan results window, install it to take full
> >> advantage of IE8's enhanced security.
> >>
> >> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> >> (Starting the service will take a moment)
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .

> .

Harry Johnston [MVP]

On 2010-02-19 1:47 p.m., 2harts4ever wrote:

> Hi Pa Bear,
>
> One more time please.
>
> Right now I know KB977165 in installed on my computer because it says so on
> my Add/Remove Program page and Windows Update History lists it as being
> successfully installed on 2-10-10.

Neither of those are conclusive.

The update contains four files:

Ntkrnlmp.exe
Ntkrnlpa.exe
Ntkrpamp.exe
Ntoskrnl.exe

Check the versions of these files. They should all be 5.1.2600.5913 or later,
assuming you have service pack 3 installed.

Harry.

> After doing what you suggested the repeat notification now rests in my
> Hidden Updates folder and everytime I go to Windows Update I am notified I
> have hidden an important security update.
>
> I have and always have had Automatic Updates set so it notifies me that an
> update is available and then it is up to me when and if I want to download
> and install it.
>
> In a nutshell ... am I okay with all this?
>
> As always your insight is always appreciated!
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> A1. The folder contained installers& related files used by Automatic
>> Updates in the past to install updates. Over the course of time, the
>> contents of the folder would have been deleted anyway.
>>
>> A2. I dunno why you kept seeing AU trying to (re)install KB977165,
>> especially since it was "pulled" [1] less than 48 hours after it was
>> released; cf.
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>>
>> PS: The reason KB977165 was pulled had nothing to do with what happened to
>> you; cf.
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...n-rootkit.aspx
>>
>> ================
>> [1] No longer being offered by Automatic Updates, even if the installer had
>> been downloaded to the Downloads folder already. KB977165 remained (and
>> remains AFAIK) available for manual installation via Windows/Microsoft
>> Update website.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> 2harts4ever wrote:
>>> Hi PA Bear,
>>>
>>> Glad to see you answered. I have done what you suggested but I am curious
>>> about what you had me do.
>>>
>>> (1) The 'Download' folder you had me empty had 119 items in it. What
>>> were
>>> they?
>>>
>>> (2) Do you think M/S will ever fix what was causing KB977165 to try to
>>> download over and over or will I just have to be content to let it in its
>>> 'hidden' state from here on out?
>>>
>>> Once again, thanks for your help and expertise,
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> 2harts4ever

>> .

2harts4ever

Re: KB977165 wants to install over and over
Harry,

I have SP3 and all four files are 5.1.2600.5913.

Thanks,

2harts4ever

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> On 2010-02-19 1:47 p.m., 2harts4ever wrote:
>
> > Hi Pa Bear,
> >
> > One more time please.
> >
> > Right now I know KB977165 in installed on my computer because it says so on
> > my Add/Remove Program page and Windows Update History lists it as being
> > successfully installed on 2-10-10.

> Neither of those are conclusive.
>
> The update contains four files:
>
> Ntkrnlmp.exe
> Ntkrnlpa.exe
> Ntkrpamp.exe
> Ntoskrnl.exe
>
> Check the versions of these files. They should all be 5.1.2600.5913 or later,
> assuming you have service pack 3 installed.
>
> Harry.
>

> > After doing what you suggested the repeat notification now rests in my
> > Hidden Updates folder and everytime I go to Windows Update I am notified I
> > have hidden an important security update.
> >
> > I have and always have had Automatic Updates set so it notifies me that an
> > update is available and then it is up to me when and if I want to download
> > and install it.
> >
> > In a nutshell ... am I okay with all this?
> >
> > As always your insight is always appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> >
> > 2harts4ever
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> A1. The folder contained installers& related files used by Automatic
> >> Updates in the past to install updates. Over the course of time, the
> >> contents of the folder would have been deleted anyway.
> >>
> >> A2. I dunno why you kept seeing AU trying to (re)install KB977165,
> >> especially since it was "pulled" [1] less than 48 hours after it was
> >> released; cf.
> >> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
> >>
> >> PS: The reason KB977165 was pulled had nothing to do with what happened to
> >> you; cf.
> >> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...n-rootkit.aspx
> >>
> >> ================
> >> [1] No longer being offered by Automatic Updates, even if the installer had
> >> been downloaded to the Downloads folder already. KB977165 remained (and
> >> remains AFAIK) available for manual installation via Windows/Microsoft
> >> Update website.
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

> >> .
> >>

> .

Re: KB977165 wants to install over and over
What Harry said & you confirmed.

Yes, you're OK. Automatic Updates won't offer KB977165 again but it will
always be a hidden update as far as Windows/Microsoft Update website is
concerned. IOW, if and when you update manually, you will always get that
"You've hidden an important security update" prompt. Learn to live with it
and dismiss it when you see it. That being said...

The prompt will apply to all updates you've hidden (e.g., if you choose or
had chosen to hide others).

KB977165 is the most recent in a long line of Windows kernel updates. If
and when another kernel update is issued, it will supersede KB977165 and
Windows/Microsoft Update website will "forget about" KB977165. The same
applies to any update which supersedes a previous one (or a cumulative
update, like IE updates).

Confused enough yet? <wink>

2harts4ever wrote:
> Hi Pa Bear,
>
> One more time please.
>
> Right now I know KB977165 in installed on my computer because it says so
> on
> my Add/Remove Program page and Windows Update History lists it as being
> successfully installed on 2-10-10.
>
> After doing what you suggested the repeat notification now rests in my
> Hidden Updates folder and everytime I go to Windows Update I am notified I
> have hidden an important security update.
>
> I have and always have had Automatic Updates set so it notifies me that an
> update is available and then it is up to me when and if I want to download
> and install it.
>
> In a nutshell ... am I okay with all this?
>
> As always your insight is always appreciated!
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> 2harts4ever
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> A1. The folder contained installers & related files used by Automatic
>> Updates in the past to install updates. Over the course of time, the
>> contents of the folder would have been deleted anyway.
>>
>> A2. I dunno why you kept seeing AU trying to (re)install KB977165,
>> especially since it was "pulled" [1] less than 48 hours after it was
>> released; cf.
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>>
>> PS: The reason KB977165 was pulled had nothing to do with what happened
>> you; cf.
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...n-rootkit.aspx
>>
>> ================
>> [1] No longer being offered by Automatic Updates, even if the installer
>> had
>> been downloaded to the Downloads folder already. KB977165 remained (and
>> remains AFAIK) available for manual installation via Windows/Microsoft
>> Update website.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> 2harts4ever wrote:
>>> Hi PA Bear,
>>>
>>> Glad to see you answered. I have done what you suggested but I am
>>> curious
>>> about what you had me do.
>>>
>>> (1) The 'Download' folder you had me empty had 119 items in it. What
>>> were
>>> they?
>>>
>>> (2) Do you think M/S will ever fix what was causing KB977165 to try to
>>> download over and over or will I just have to be content to let it in
>>> its
>>> 'hidden' state from here on out?
>>>
>>> Once again, thanks for your help and expertise,
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> 2harts4ever

>> .

2harts4ever

Re: KB977165 wants to install over and over
Pa Bear,

As usual you have shown why you are a M/S MVP. That is the kind of
explanation I have been looking for on this subject.

Now I have an idea of what is actually happening and how it eventually will
be solved. M/S is lucky to have folks like you around who, while not on
their payroll, still take the time to educate their customers in what is
actually happening with their computers.

Have a great weekend Pa Bear. As usual you have helped make mine!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever