KB977165

Vulture

KB977165
The recent 6 Feb 2010 mega security update included KB977165. Installation
of KB977165 has been linked to subsequent XP failures including blue screens
& various login failures .

THESE SYMPTOMS ALSO OCCUR ON VISTA ULTIMATE SP2 !!!

I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate system networked with a Windows Home Server
PP2, both kept up to date daily via Windows Update. The Vista desktop
normally sleeps to facilitate these updates & auto backups to the WHS.

After installing the 6 Feb 2010 mega security update on the desktop & WHS,
the subsequent reboots went smoothly.

Attempts to download photos via USB 2 failed, with the message "No driver"
and auto logout from that user name, requiring re-login. This occurred on 2
normal users & admin.

However, subsequent reboots to clear the problem yielded either a BLUE
SCREEN before logon screen or during entry of password, or cursor froze
prohibiting entry of password and reboot again necessary

Eventually entered SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and although could access WHS
console with the intention of a complete system disk restore, SAFE MODE
prohibited me installing latest system restore disk from M/s site, so
therefore abandoned WHS restore. (... must remember to download new WHS
Restore CD, mine is only PP1 ...!)

Still in SAFE MODE, I accessed installed updates via control panel>programs
& features, AND UNINSTALLED KB977165 leaving all other 6 Feb 2010 security
updates installed & re-booted.

RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.

CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista Ultimate
as well as XP.

NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have been
uploaded to M/s for their analysis.

COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that I
now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch since
withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for servers,
or was that just for XP systems?)

RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed
KB977165 patch from ALL systems.

Vultch
G. R. Woodring

Re: KB977165
I have the KB977165 update installed and haven't had any problems. If your
system is infected by a rootkit similar to what has been found on the XP
systems, you should deal with that.

I _want_ the protection provided by the update. If you want to remove it, hide
it, block it or whatever, I can understand that as you have been one of those
afflicted with a BSOD, but for most users it was just another welcome security
update.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 2/17/2010 7:52 PM, Author: Vulture Wrote:
> The recent 6 Feb 2010 mega security update included KB977165. Installation
> of KB977165 has been linked to subsequent XP failures including blue screens
> & various login failures .
>
> THESE SYMPTOMS ALSO OCCUR ON VISTA ULTIMATE SP2 !!!
>
> I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate system networked with a Windows Home Server
> PP2, both kept up to date daily via Windows Update. The Vista desktop
> normally sleeps to facilitate these updates & auto backups to the WHS.
>
> After installing the 6 Feb 2010 mega security update on the desktop & WHS,
> the subsequent reboots went smoothly.
>
> Attempts to download photos via USB 2 failed, with the message "No driver"
> and auto logout from that user name, requiring re-login. This occurred on 2
> normal users & admin.
>
> However, subsequent reboots to clear the problem yielded either a BLUE
> SCREEN before logon screen or during entry of password, or cursor froze
> prohibiting entry of password and reboot again necessary
>
> Eventually entered SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and although could access WHS
> console with the intention of a complete system disk restore, SAFE MODE
> prohibited me installing latest system restore disk from M/s site, so
> therefore abandoned WHS restore. (... must remember to download new WHS
> Restore CD, mine is only PP1 ...!)
>
> Still in SAFE MODE, I accessed installed updates via control panel>programs
> & features, AND UNINSTALLED KB977165 leaving all other 6 Feb 2010 security
> updates installed & re-booted.
>
> RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.
>
> CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista Ultimate
> as well as XP.
>
> NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have been
> uploaded to M/s for their analysis.
>
> COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that I
> now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
> re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch since
> withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for servers,
> or was that just for XP systems?)
>
> RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed
> KB977165 patch from ALL systems.
>
> Vultch

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB977165
Given your description of the sequence of events, I would guess it most likely
that the cause of the problem was not KB977165 and the timing was coincidental.
Recommend you reinstall it and see if the problem recurs.

Harry.

On 2010-02-18 1:52 p.m., Vulture wrote:
> The recent 6 Feb 2010 mega security update included KB977165. Installation
> of KB977165 has been linked to subsequent XP failures including blue screens
> & various login failures .
>
> THESE SYMPTOMS ALSO OCCUR ON VISTA ULTIMATE SP2 !!!
>
> I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate system networked with a Windows Home Server
> PP2, both kept up to date daily via Windows Update. The Vista desktop
> normally sleeps to facilitate these updates& auto backups to the WHS.
>
> After installing the 6 Feb 2010 mega security update on the desktop& WHS,
> the subsequent reboots went smoothly.
>
> Attempts to download photos via USB 2 failed, with the message "No driver"
> and auto logout from that user name, requiring re-login. This occurred on 2
> normal users& admin.
>
> However, subsequent reboots to clear the problem yielded either a BLUE
> SCREEN before logon screen or during entry of password, or cursor froze
> prohibiting entry of password and reboot again necessary
>
> Eventually entered SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and although could access WHS
> console with the intention of a complete system disk restore, SAFE MODE
> prohibited me installing latest system restore disk from M/s site, so
> therefore abandoned WHS restore. (... must remember to download new WHS
> Restore CD, mine is only PP1 ...!)
>
> Still in SAFE MODE, I accessed installed updates via control panel>programs
> & features, AND UNINSTALLED KB977165 leaving all other 6 Feb 2010 security
> updates installed& re-booted.
>
> RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.
>
> CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista Ultimate
> as well as XP.
>
> NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have been
> uploaded to M/s for their analysis.
>
> COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that I
> now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
> re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch since
> withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for servers,
> or was that just for XP systems?)
>
> RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed
> KB977165 patch from ALL systems.
>
> Vultch

Re: KB977165
You, too, can be infected by W32/Alureon!

The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC): Update - Restart Issues After
Installing MS10-015 and the Alureon Rootkit
"Our investigation has concluded that the reboot occurs because the system
is infected with malware, specifically the Alureon rootkit."
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...n-rootkit.aspx

Conclusion: The patch is fine; your computer's a disaster.

Vulture wrote:
> The recent 6 Feb 2010 mega security update included KB977165.
> Installation
> of KB977165 has been linked to subsequent XP failures including blue
> screens
> & various login failures .
>
> THESE SYMPTOMS ALSO OCCUR ON VISTA ULTIMATE SP2 !!!
>
> I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate system networked with a Windows Home Server
> PP2, both kept up to date daily via Windows Update. The Vista desktop
> normally sleeps to facilitate these updates & auto backups to the WHS.
>
> After installing the 6 Feb 2010 mega security update on the desktop & WHS,
> the subsequent reboots went smoothly.
>
> Attempts to download photos via USB 2 failed, with the message "No driver"
> and auto logout from that user name, requiring re-login. This occurred on
> 2
> normal users & admin.
>
> However, subsequent reboots to clear the problem yielded either a BLUE
> SCREEN before logon screen or during entry of password, or cursor froze
> prohibiting entry of password and reboot again necessary
>
> Eventually entered SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and although could access WHS
> console with the intention of a complete system disk restore, SAFE MODE
> prohibited me installing latest system restore disk from M/s site, so
> therefore abandoned WHS restore. (... must remember to download new WHS
> Restore CD, mine is only PP1 ...!)
>
> Still in SAFE MODE, I accessed installed updates via control
> panel>programs
> & features, AND UNINSTALLED KB977165 leaving all other 6 Feb 2010 security
> updates installed & re-booted.
>
> RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.
>
> CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista
> Ultimate
> as well as XP.
>
> NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have
> been
> uploaded to M/s for their analysis.
>
> COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that
> now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
> re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch since
> withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for
> servers,
> or was that just for XP systems?)
>
> RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed
> KB977165 patch from ALL systems.
>
> Vultch

Michael

Re: KB977165
Now, now, Robear. We all know the complainers are perfect and the computers
are the problem.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

> [...]
>> updates installed & re-booted.
>>
>> RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.
>>
>> CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista
>> Ultimate
>> as well as XP.
>>
>> NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have
>> been
>> uploaded to M/s for their analysis.
>>
>> COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that
>> now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
>> re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch
>> since
>> withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for
>> servers,
>> or was that just for XP systems?)
>>
>> RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed

Re: KB977165
Microsoft Malware Protection Center: Restart issues on an Alureon infected
machine after MS10-015 is applied
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archiv...s-applied.aspx

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [...]
>> updates installed & re-booted.
>>
>> RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.
>>
>> CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista
>> Ultimate
>> as well as XP.
>>
>> NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have
>> been
>> uploaded to M/s for their analysis.
>>
>> COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that
>> now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
>> re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch
>> since
>> withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for
>> servers,
>> or was that just for XP systems?)
>>
>> RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed

Conjoiner

RE: KB977165
I've had the same blue screen caused by KB977165. I'm running Trend Micro
Antivirus, and I'm not infected as far as I can tell. Uninstalling the
update completely removes all of my problems (detailed in this forum thread
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...f-93c4465324d0
). Someone told me Microsoft had temporarily removed it from Windows Update,
but when it came back I installed it - and another blue screen. I'm not
downloading this update until I see that it's been fixed.

"Vulture" wrote:

> The recent 6 Feb 2010 mega security update included KB977165. Installation
> of KB977165 has been linked to subsequent XP failures including blue screens
> & various login failures .
>
> THESE SYMPTOMS ALSO OCCUR ON VISTA ULTIMATE SP2 !!!
>
> I have a 32-bit Vista Ultimate system networked with a Windows Home Server
> PP2, both kept up to date daily via Windows Update. The Vista desktop
> normally sleeps to facilitate these updates & auto backups to the WHS.
>
> After installing the 6 Feb 2010 mega security update on the desktop & WHS,
> the subsequent reboots went smoothly.
>
> Attempts to download photos via USB 2 failed, with the message "No driver"
> and auto logout from that user name, requiring re-login. This occurred on 2
> normal users & admin.
>
> However, subsequent reboots to clear the problem yielded either a BLUE
> SCREEN before logon screen or during entry of password, or cursor froze
> prohibiting entry of password and reboot again necessary
>
> Eventually entered SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and although could access WHS
> console with the intention of a complete system disk restore, SAFE MODE
> prohibited me installing latest system restore disk from M/s site, so
> therefore abandoned WHS restore. (... must remember to download new WHS
> Restore CD, mine is only PP1 ...!)
>
> Still in SAFE MODE, I accessed installed updates via control panel>programs
> & features, AND UNINSTALLED KB977165 leaving all other 6 Feb 2010 security
> updates installed & re-booted.
>
> RESULT: no BLUE SCREEN, normal login, and system seems back to normal.
>
> CONCLUSION: KB977165 is a disaster, and certainly applies to Vista Ultimate
> as well as XP.
>
> NB: Each BLUE SCREEN produced a system dump which I presume will have been
> uploaded to M/s for their analysis.
>
> COMMENT: On rechecking System Update, I was somewhat alarmed to see that I
> now have 1 important download: correct, - it's KB977165, which I have NOT
> re-installed! (A blog I read in or via PC Pro stated KB977165 patch since
> withdrawn on Windows Update, though still optionally available for servers,
> or was that just for XP systems?)
>
> RECOMMENDATION: Immediate Windows Update patch to remove any installed
> KB977165 patch from ALL systems.
>
> Vultch

Michael

Re: KB977165
Before you got the bright idea to reply to this thread, did you bother to
read the reply given by PA Bear? Didn't think so. There's a real good
possibility you're infected.

As per PA Bear: