How To Replace An Original Windows XP Disc

Richard

How To Replace An Original Windows XP Disc
Good day: I have an original (purchased) Windows XP Home Edition disc which
was badly scratched and is unusable (unbootable). I would like to replace it
(at a cost presumably) from Microsoft. However, when I go on MS's support
site, apparently an e-mail or phone reply from them will cost me CAD $59.00.

Could someone on this forum (or is this the correct forum to ask?) advise on
how I can replace this disc with a new one from MS w/o the cost of a CAD
$59.00 e-mail reply from them ? I would like to keep Windows XP for a while
yet but in the event it crashes I would need the original disc to do the
reboot. Thanks in advance.

Eric

Re: How To Replace An Original Windows XP Disc
And your Windows Update question would be...?

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and
replace product manuals:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Richard wrote:
> Good day: I have an original (purchased) Windows XP Home Edition disc
> which
> was badly scratched and is unusable (unbootable). I would like to replace
> it
> (at a cost presumably) from Microsoft. However, when I go on MS's support
> site, apparently an e-mail or phone reply from them will cost me CAD
> $59.00.
>
> Could someone on this forum (or is this the correct forum to ask?) advise
> on
> how I can replace this disc with a new one from MS w/o the cost of a CAD
> $59.00 e-mail reply from them ? I would like to keep Windows XP for a
> while
> yet but in the event it crashes I would need the original disc to do the
> reboot. Thanks in advance.

Shenan Stanley

Richard wrote:
> Good day: I have an original (purchased) Windows XP Home Edition
> disc which was badly scratched and is unusable (unbootable). I
> would like to replace it (at a cost presumably) from Microsoft.
> However, when I go on MS's support site, apparently an e-mail or
> phone reply from them will cost me CAD $59.00.
> Could someone on this forum (or is this the correct forum to ask?)
> advise on how I can replace this disc with a new one from MS w/o
> the cost of a CAD $59.00 e-mail reply from them ? I would like to
> keep Windows XP for a while yet but in the event it crashes I would
> need the original disc to do the reboot. Thanks in advance.

PA gave you the link you need.

Also know that you can just find someone with the same version/edition of
Windows XP Home Edition (retail I assume) and make a copy of it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Richard

> And your Windows Update question would be...?

That's why I added "or is this the correct forum to ask"!!

Eric

Richard

Re: How To Replace An Original Windows XP Disc
Thanks very much Shenan.
Eric

> Also know that you can just find someone with the same version/edition of
> Windows XP Home Edition (retail I assume) and make a copy of it.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: How To Replace An Original Windows XP Disc
And that's why I answered your question anyway!

Richard wrote:
>> And your Windows Update question would be...?

> That's why I added "or is this the correct forum to ask"!!
>
> Eric

Richard

Re: How To Replace An Original Windows XP Disc
But not before you were quick to point out what I mentioned might be the
case, that is 'not the correct forum'.
Anyways.....My concern has been resolved and I've passed on my thanks.
Eric