Security Question for PA Bear

Dellphinus

Security Question for PA Bear
PA Bear
You consistently recommend staying away from McAfee (and several other AV
products) in the Windows Upgrade forum.
Quote from a recent thread:
"Recommendations (since you asked) include Microsoft Security Essentials
(free), Avira AntiVir (free), NOD32 (not the security suite) & Kaspersky
(not the security suite). Steer well clear of Norton, McAfee, and AVG."

I'd like to know why, if you would be so kind. The reason I ask is my
company uses McAfee VirusScan Enetrprise (8.7.0i), and provides it to us to
use on home computers free of charge, with updates. Now, not to say our IT
and security guys are the best, but if McAfee has serious issues, then either
they need to know about it, or the Enterprise version is better than the home
use products?

I'd really like to hear your rationale for not using McAfee. And for the
record, I've been a little surprised at some of the stuff that has gotten
past McAfee, but chalked it up to no one product being able to catch
everything. I have McAfee set up to update daily, run targeted scan daily,
and full scan weekly.

Thanks !

Re: Security Question for PA Bear
What has this got to do with Windows Update (or upgrading Windows)?
<snicker>

Comparing McAfee Enterprise to, e.g., McAfee VirusScan or <spit> McAfee
Security Center freebie is like comparing the Dreamliner (Boeing 787) to an
Ilyushin Il-14.

The above notwithstanding...

>> ...And for the
>> record, I've been a little surprised at some of the stuff that has gotten
>> past McAfee...

'Nuff said.

Tom Willett wrote:
> PA Bear will respond: "What has this got to do with Windows Update?"
>
> "Dellphinus" wrote:
>> PA Bear
>> You consistently recommend staying away from McAfee (and several other AV
>> products) in the Windows Upgrade forum.
>> Quote from a recent thread:
>> "Recommendations (since you asked) include Microsoft Security Essentials
>> (free), Avira AntiVir (free), NOD32 (not the security suite) & Kaspersky
>> (not the security suite). Steer well clear of Norton, McAfee, and AVG."
>>
>> I'd like to know why, if you would be so kind. The reason I ask is my
>> company uses McAfee VirusScan Enetrprise (8.7.0i), and provides it to us
>> use on home computers free of charge, with updates. Now, not to say our
>> IT
>> and security guys are the best, but if McAfee has serious issues, then
>> either they need to know about it, or the Enterprise version is better
>> than the home use products?
>>
>> I'd really like to hear your rationale for not using McAfee. And for the
>> record, I've been a little surprised at some of the stuff that has gotten
>> past McAfee, but chalked it up to no one product being able to catch
>> everything. I have McAfee set up to update daily, run targeted scan
>> daily,
>> and full scan weekly.
>>
>> Thanks !

Shenan Stanley

Dellphinus wrote:
> PA Bear
> You consistently recommend staying away from McAfee (and several
> other AV products) in the Windows Upgrade forum.
> Quote from a recent thread:
> "Recommendations (since you asked) include Microsoft Security
> Essentials (free), Avira AntiVir (free), NOD32 (not the security
> suite) & Kaspersky (not the security suite). Steer well clear of
> Norton, McAfee, and AVG."
>
> I'd like to know why, if you would be so kind. The reason I ask is
> my company uses McAfee VirusScan Enetrprise (8.7.0i), and provides
> it to us to use on home computers free of charge, with updates.
> Now, not to say our IT and security guys are the best, but if
> McAfee has serious issues, then either they need to know about it,
> or the Enterprise version is better than the home use products?
>
> I'd really like to hear your rationale for not using McAfee. And
> for the record, I've been a little surprised at some of the stuff
> that has gotten past McAfee, but chalked it up to no one product
> being able to catch everything. I have McAfee set up to update
> daily, run targeted scan daily, and full scan weekly.
>
> Thanks !

McAfee/Symantec (Norton) Corporate/Enterprise is not the same product as
McAfee/Norton consumer.

There is no perfect product - but for home use - I have had the best overall
experiences with Avira, Avast! and eSet NOD32 (AV only) - personally.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP