Re: IE8 Installation Problem

[Crosspost to Windows Update per Robert's lead]

1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | OK

Write down the complete, second line of text displayed then post it in a

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to and right-click on...

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file

Select Properties | Version (tab): What file version is displayed here
(e.g., v8.0.1234.56789)?

3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
in the background when you attempted to install IE8?

4. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
it)?

KeithIrv wrote:
> When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or manually),
> the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
> the
> installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
> 8"
> line. If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need
> an
> update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823). When I
> run
> this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the Service
> Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied. There
> is
> no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
> SP3
> version 5913, build 2600 from System Info. I seem to be stuck in a
> chicken
> and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
> can
> install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
> computer" notification that keeps popping up!

KeithIrv

Re: IE8 Installation Problem
Robear,

Apologies for being slow replying!

1. Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036: service Pack3,v.5 ..
and then its off the side of the info box and I cannot see the rest)

2. 7.0.6000.16981 at the top f the tab and 7.00.6000.16981
(vista_gdr.091215-2244) in the File Version Value box.

3. Macafee Security Centre. Which is fully updated and current. I have
tried to install IE8 with all AV software and firewalls switched off as well
as all switched on. The result is the same as described.

4. The only AV software has been the Macafee Security Centre as above. Its
a self build machine and I am certain that no free trials AV software (or
spyware) has been installed.

Grateful for your help

Keith

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to Windows Update per Robert's lead]
>
> 1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | OK
>
> Write down the complete, second line of text displayed then post it in a
>
> 2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to and right-click on...
>
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
>
> Select Properties | Version (tab): What file version is displayed here
> (e.g., v8.0.1234.56789)?
>
> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you attempted to install IE8?
>
> 4. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> KeithIrv wrote:
> > When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or manually),
> > the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
> > the
> > installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
> > 8"
> > line. If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need
> > an
> > update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823). When I
> > run
> > this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the Service
> > Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied. There
> > is
> > no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
> > SP3
> > version 5913, build 2600 from System Info. I seem to be stuck in a
> > chicken
> > and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
> > can
> > install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
> > computer" notification that keeps popping up!

> .

Re: IE8 Installation Problem
Is McAfee Security Centre a "freebie" from your ISP or have you purchased it
and your subscription's still current?

The above notwithstanding, see if running this McAfee three-step fix (and
then installing IE8 manually per my recommendations) resolves the problem:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> Disable all McAfee Security Centre processes (i.e., anti-virus;
anti-spyware; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
installing IE8.

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB976325). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.