RE: Optional Hardware Update C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Mrs. S

RE: Optional Hardware Update C-Media AC97 Audio Device
I am having the very same problem. Can anyone please help. All my drivers say
they are working properly.

"Mr. T" wrote:

> After downloading and, apparently, unsuccessfully installing the optional
> hardware update C-Media AC97 Audio Device and rebooting the computer, the
> Sound Properties icon in the taskbar disappears and there is no longer any
> sound. In the Device Manager, the device appears but it has a yellow icon
> with an exclamation point in the center. And, under Properties for this
> device, it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10). It doesn't appear
> there's any conflicts since, under the Resources tab, it says the device
> isn't "using any resources because it has a problem." The drivers appear to
> be installed but when I run the Add Hardware wizard, it won't automatically
> detect the device and I cannot find the device when trying to manually
> install it. The sound device that was previously installed, of which worked
> properly, was Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller.
>
> The system is running Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002 with Service
> Pack 2.
>
> If anyone can assist in this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you for your time and attention.

Michael

Re: Optional Hardware Update C-Media AC97 Audio Device
#1 - start your own thread.
#2 - never download and install drivers from Windows Update unless they're
for a product made by Microsoft.
#3 - go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and download and install the
drivers that belong on your system.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

"Mrs. S" <Mrs. S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having the very same problem. Can anyone please help. All my drivers
> say
> they are working properly.
>
> "Mr. T" wrote:
>
>> After downloading and, apparently, unsuccessfully installing the optional
>> hardware update C-Media AC97 Audio Device and rebooting the computer, the
>> Sound Properties icon in the taskbar disappears and there is no longer
>> any
>> sound. In the Device Manager, the device appears but it has a yellow icon
>> with an exclamation point in the center. And, under Properties for this
>> device, it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10). It doesn't appear
>> there's any conflicts since, under the Resources tab, it says the device
>> isn't "using any resources because it has a problem." The drivers appear
>> be installed but when I run the Add Hardware wizard, it won't
>> automatically
>> detect the device and I cannot find the device when trying to manually
>> install it. The sound device that was previously installed, of which
>> worked
>> properly, was Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller.
>>
>> The system is running Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002 with Service
>> Pack 2.
>>
>> If anyone can assist in this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you for your time and attention.

Mrs. S

Re: Optional Hardware Update C-Media AC97 Audio Device
I tried that and it still doesn't work. Either I lost this sound device while
deleting programs or from an update. How can I get it back? Will I get it
back if I found the CD and re-install it? Please help. Thanks

"Michael" wrote:

> #1 - start your own thread.
> #2 - never download and install drivers from Windows Update unless they're
> for a product made by Microsoft.
> #3 - go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and download and install the
> drivers that belong on your system.
>
> --
>

> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>

> "Mrs. S" <Mrs. S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am having the very same problem. Can anyone please help. All my drivers
> > say
> > they are working properly.
> >
> > "Mr. T" wrote:
> >
> >> After downloading and, apparently, unsuccessfully installing the optional
> >> hardware update C-Media AC97 Audio Device and rebooting the computer, the
> >> Sound Properties icon in the taskbar disappears and there is no longer
> >> any
> >> sound. In the Device Manager, the device appears but it has a yellow icon
> >> with an exclamation point in the center. And, under Properties for this
> >> device, it says: "This device cannot start. (Code 10). It doesn't appear
> >> there's any conflicts since, under the Resources tab, it says the device
> >> isn't "using any resources because it has a problem." The drivers appear
> >> be installed but when I run the Add Hardware wizard, it won't
> >> automatically
> >> detect the device and I cannot find the device when trying to manually
> >> install it. The sound device that was previously installed, of which
> >> worked
> >> properly, was Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller.
> >>
> >> The system is running Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002 with Service
> >> Pack 2.
> >>
> >> If anyone can assist in this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thank you for your time and attention.

Michael

Re: Optional Hardware Update C-Media AC97 Audio Device
The system CD will have very old drivers that have been updated many times.
Can you do a system restore to a point before you installed the update?
In device manager is there a caution icon beside the sound device?
Downloading and installing the correct drivers should've fixed this.
Why are you only running SP2????????

--

> I tried that and it still doesn't work. Either I lost this sound device
> while
> deleting programs or from an update. How can I get it back? Will I get it
> back if I found the CD and re-install it? Please help. Thanks
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> #1 - start your own thread.
>> #2 - never download and install drivers from Windows Update unless
>> they're
>> for a product made by Microsoft.
>> #3 - go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and download and install
>> the
>> drivers that belong on your system.
>>
>> --
>>

>> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
>> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>>

>> "Mrs. S" <Mrs. S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am having the very same problem. Can anyone please help. All my
>> > drivers
>> > say
>> > they are working properly.

Mrs. S

Re: Optional Hardware Update C-Media AC97 Audio Device

How do I know when I installed the update and where do I go to do a system
update? Also, went into device manager and there is no caution icon there
now, but I'm sure I seen one previously, thats where I got C-Mdia AC 97
Audion Device Properties - the drive cannot start (code 10). Also when I go
into Volume is says no audio advice. Don't know what SP2 is and not sure I'm
running it. How do I know?
"Michael" wrote:

> The system CD will have very old drivers that have been updated many times.
> Can you do a system restore to a point before you installed the update?
> In device manager is there a caution icon beside the sound device?
> Downloading and installing the correct drivers should've fixed this.
> Why are you only running SP2????????
>
> --
>

> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
>

> "Mrs. S" <MrsS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I tried that and it still doesn't work. Either I lost this sound device
> > while
> > deleting programs or from an update. How can I get it back? Will I get it
> > back if I found the CD and re-install it? Please help. Thanks
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> #1 - start your own thread.
> >> #2 - never download and install drivers from Windows Update unless
> >> they're
> >> for a product made by Microsoft.
> >> #3 - go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and download and install
> >> the
> >> drivers that belong on your system.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
> >> If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Mrs. S

Re: Optional Hardware Update C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Update: I find my system restore and went back to the date before I removed
the AC97 Audio Device (Jan. 20) and said there was no changes from that
date??? What else can I do?