XP SP3 update error

bill

XP SP3 update error
Hello,

When trying to install the SP3 update I get the following error... Error
Code: 0x80070017

Searching the MS site comes up empty. Anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks
Bill

Re: XP SP3 update error
80070017 ERROR_CRC
A device attached to the system is not functioning

Is an external drive (e.g., flash drive) connected to the computer?

If it's a laptop, is the battery inserted in its bay and is the battery
still functioning?

Why have you waited almost two years before attempting to install WinXP SP3?

Have you ever done a Repair Install of WinXP and if so, why?

in the background when you attempted to install SP3?

it)?

Updates fail to Install after upgrading to SP3
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-fed57b85b0ae/

You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by
using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you
install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you
US$59 per incident now.

bill wrote:
> When trying to install the SP3 update I get the following error... Error
> Code: 0x80070017
>
> Searching the MS site comes up empty. Anybody have a suggestion?

bill

Re: XP SP3 update error
I've attempted this update several times over the last two years with same
result. Just haven't take the time to pursue until today since I don't use
this laptop that often.

I'm running AVG. No external hardware to worry about.

I'll check your noted documents.

Thanks
Bill

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 80070017 ERROR_CRC
> A device attached to the system is not functioning
>
> Is an external drive (e.g., flash drive) connected to the computer?
>
> If it's a laptop, is the battery inserted in its bay and is the battery
> still functioning?
>
> Why have you waited almost two years before attempting to install WinXP SP3?
>
> Have you ever done a Repair Install of WinXP and if so, why?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you attempted to install SP3?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>
> Updates fail to Install after upgrading to SP3
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-fed57b85b0ae/
>
> You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by
> using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you
> install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
> available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you
> US$59 per incident now.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> bill wrote:
> > When trying to install the SP3 update I get the following error... Error
> > Code: 0x80070017
> >
> > Searching the MS site comes up empty. Anybody have a suggestion?

> .

Ǝиçεl

RE: XP SP3 update error

0x80070017 ERROR_CRC Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for
installation are available, and restart the installation.

Reboot into safe mºde (F-8)

Empty user and system "temp" folders.

Clean up the system (clearing out all the Temp/Tmp folders, and included all
offline content, clearing the browser TIF, Delete Cookies , do a Disk
CleanUp.

Remove all temporarily junk with CCleaner
<http://www.ccleaner.com>
-=-

Exit Safe Mode (Rebººt)
-=-

Perhaps some maintenance, try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command
prompt How to perform disk error checking in Vista

Check Disk or Chkdsk is disk error checking in VISTA. It can be used to
check for corruption and possibly repair errors and bad sectors on the hard
drive.
How to run Checkdisk at boot up CHKDSK
<http://www.vistax64.com/tricks-n-tips/67612-checkdisk.html?ltr=C>
-=-

Run SFC /SCANNOW
System File Checker (SFC) checks that all Vista files are where they should
be and that they are uncorrupted.
WHY: You want to ensure that core operating system files have not been
damaged or modified.
How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of Vista System
Files with System File Checker : SFC /SCANNOW
<http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...tem-files.html >
- -- ---

Rebººt
-=-