windows update

homerpcdoh!

windows update
my windows update automatic update will not turn on keeps saying restert
laptop which i do and same thing happens get the message please turn on your
automatic updating. all this started after it installed last update please
help. thank you
Shenan Stanley

Re: windows update
homerpcdoh! wrote:
> my windows update automatic update will not turn on keeps saying
> restert laptop which i do and same thing happens get the message
> please turn on your automatic updating. all this started after it
> installed last update please help. thank you

You have a laptop with windows installed on it.

Now that we still know nothing about your situation, here come the questions
for you to answer. Don't be shy - help yourself. ;-)

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Some *general* tips...

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

When you come back with some details about your system:
Windows __ _______ edition __-bit with Service Pack __ and Internet
Explorer v__
(For example - that is a great start - filling in the blanks.)

Someone will likely be happy to assist you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Michael