Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)

Paul Calcagno

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on an Acer Desktop with SP2, all WU's
current, 2 GB RAM, CCleaner, SAS, MBAM and Avira. System's working just
fine.
Yesterday I got 2 new WU's, one of them being KB973924, a security update
for MS Visual C++2008 Redistributable pkg (the other one is WinDefender
definitions update). The publish date on KB973924 is August 2009. My
question is why am I now getting this update offered to me at this time?
And can I ignore this update without compromising my security status?
Please advise is this is not the correct forum to post this question.

Thanks in advance..........Paul C.

MowGreen

Re: Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 RedistributablePackage (KB973924)
Paul,

The update you mention is offered to systems that have Microsoft Visual
C++ installed on them. Apparently, some software was installed that
depends on Microsoft Visual C++ to run on and that's why the Security
update was not offered until now. IIRC, it's included in the Windows
Live Essentials bundle of "fluff".

The Security Bulletin for KB978251 shows the "Aggregate Severity Rating"
as Moderate.
Please read it and decide for yourself if it needs to be installed or
not: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-035.mspx

If it were my system, I would install it. Then again, I wouldn't install
the fluff that Windows Live Essentials offers so ...

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Paul Calcagno wrote:
> I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on an Acer Desktop with SP2, all
> WU's current, 2 GB RAM, CCleaner, SAS, MBAM and Avira. System's working
> just fine.
> Yesterday I got 2 new WU's, one of them being KB973924, a security
> update for MS Visual C++2008 Redistributable pkg (the other one is
> WinDefender definitions update). The publish date on KB973924 is August
> 2009. My question is why am I now getting this update offered to me at
> this time? And can I ignore this update without compromising my security
> status?
> Please advise is this is not the correct forum to post this question.
>
> Thanks in advance..........Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)
Thanks MowGreen.

Just one question: You pointed me to a security bulletin for KB978251, but
that's not the one associated with MS Viscual C++ redistributable package.
Was that a typo.

Thanks........Paul C.

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Paul,
>
> The update you mention is offered to systems that have Microsoft Visual
> C++ installed on them. Apparently, some software was installed that
> depends on Microsoft Visual C++ to run on and that's why the Security
> update was not offered until now. IIRC, it's included in the Windows Live
> Essentials bundle of "fluff".
>
> The Security Bulletin for KB978251 shows the "Aggregate Severity Rating"
> as Moderate.
> Please read it and decide for yourself if it needs to be installed or not:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-035.mspx
>
> If it were my system, I would install it. Then again, I wouldn't install
> the fluff that Windows Live Essentials offers so ...
>
> MowGreen
> ================
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>

> Paul Calcagno wrote:
>> I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on an Acer Desktop with SP2, all
>> WU's current, 2 GB RAM, CCleaner, SAS, MBAM and Avira. System's working
>> just fine.
>> Yesterday I got 2 new WU's, one of them being KB973924, a security
>> update for MS Visual C++2008 Redistributable pkg (the other one is
>> WinDefender definitions update). The publish date on KB973924 is August
>> 2009. My question is why am I now getting this update offered to me at
>> this time? And can I ignore this update without compromising my security
>> status?
>> Please advise is this is not the correct forum to post this question.
>>
>> Thanks in advance..........Paul C.

MowGreen

Re: Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 RedistributablePackage (KB973924)
Description of the security update for the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
Redistributable Package (for previously installed versions): July 28, 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973924

The above KB article contains this link to the Sec Bulletin:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-035 - Moderate
Vulnerabilities in Visual Studio Active Template Library Could Allow
Remote Code Execution (969706)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-035.mspx

Actually, what I think happened was I was replying to 2 posts at once
and transposed KB978251 into the reply to you. So *yes*, it's typo, Paul.

I did get the URLs right, so I've got that goin' for me.
Now that I'm rechecking the Sec Bulletin page again, I don't even see a
mention of KB973924 until the 'Revisions' section.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com