WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows XP Users

MowGreen

WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows XP Users
New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/...dows-xp-users/

BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-e292b69f2fd1/

A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the
vulnerability this update addresses has been posted in the above Windows
Update forum by Kevin Hau of Microsoft:

" Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in
this thread!

We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation
to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the
other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not
need to be uninstalled.

With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console
(see this Microsoft article for help with this step)

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. When complete, type this command: exit

IMPORTANT: If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated
solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are
resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update
installed without the blue screens.

Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
installing the actual KB update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682

I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for
their participation as well!

Thanks,

Kevin "

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
TaurArian

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows XP Users
Hi Mow

Have you posted this also in :
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...istawu/threads

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
> http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/...dows-xp-users/
>
> BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-e292b69f2fd1/
>
> A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the vulnerability
> this update addresses has been posted in the above Windows Update forum by
> Kevin Hau of Microsoft:
>
> " Hello Everyone,
>
> I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in this
> thread!
>
> We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation
> to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the
> other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not
> need to be uninstalled.
>
> With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:
>
> 1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see
> this Microsoft article for help with this step)
>
> Once you are in the Repair Screen..
>
> 2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst
>
> 3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
>
> 4. When complete, type this command: exit
>

> IMPORTANT: If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
> Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated
> solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are
> resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update installed
> without the blue screens.
>
> Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
> that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
> installing the actual KB update:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682
>

> I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for their
> participation as well!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin "
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> * -343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

MowGreen

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some WindowsXP Users
Good Morning and, no, Mam. Just here and in XP General. Be my guest as
spending too much time in the WU "forum" hurts my eyes <w>

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

TaurArian wrote:
> Hi Mow
>
> Have you posted this also in :
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...istawu/threads

> "MowGreen"<mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>> New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
>> http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/...dows-xp-users/
>>
>> BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-e292b69f2fd1/
>>
>> A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the vulnerability
>> this update addresses has been posted in the above Windows Update forum by
>> Kevin Hau of Microsoft:
>>
>> " Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in this
>> thread!
>>
>> We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation
>> to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the
>> other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not
>> need to be uninstalled.
>>
>> With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:
>>
>> 1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see
>> this Microsoft article for help with this step)
>>
>> Once you are in the Repair Screen..
>>
>> 2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst
>>
>> 3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
>>
>> 4. When complete, type this command: exit
>>

>> IMPORTANT: If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
>> Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated
>> solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are
>> resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update installed
>> without the blue screens.
>>
>> Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
>> that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
>> installing the actual KB update:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682
>>

>> I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for their
>> participation as well!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kevin "
>>

>> MowGreen
>> ================
>> * -343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ================
>>
>> banthecheck.com
>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

MowGreen

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some WindowsXP Users
For those who are following this thread, if any, the update has been
pulled from Windows Update:
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

> TaurArian wrote:
>> Hi Mow
>>
>> Have you posted this also in :
>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...istawu/threads

>> "MowGreen"<mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>>> New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
>>> http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/...dows-xp-users/
>>>

>>> BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
>>> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-e292b69f2fd1/
>>>

>>> A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the
>>> vulnerability
>>> this update addresses has been posted in the above Windows Update
>>> forum by
>>> Kevin Hau of Microsoft:
>>>
>>> " Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in
>>> this
>>> thread!
>>>
>>> We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation
>>> to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the
>>> other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not
>>> need to be uninstalled.
>>>
>>> With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:
>>>
>>> 1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console
>>> (see
>>> this Microsoft article for help with this step)
>>>
>>> Once you are in the Repair Screen..
>>>
>>> 2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst
>>>
>>> 3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
>>>
>>> 4. When complete, type this command: exit
>>>

>>> IMPORTANT: If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
>>> Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated
>>> solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are
>>> resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update
>>> installed
>>> without the blue screens.
>>>
>>> Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
>>> that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
>>> installing the actual KB update:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682
>>>

>>> I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for
>>> their
>>> participation as well!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Kevin "
>>>

>>> MowGreen
>>> ================
>>> * -343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>> ================
>>>
>>> banthecheck.com
>>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

hdnlan

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows
Hello Mowgreen. Your comment that KB977165 had been removed from windows
update doesn't seem to be true. When I go to the site, it still offers the
update.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> For those who are following this thread, if any, the update has been
> pulled from Windows Update:
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> * -343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>

> > TaurArian wrote:
> >> Hi Mow
> >>
> >> Have you posted this also in :
> >> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...istawu/threads

> >> "MowGreen"<mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message

> .

Etaoin Shrdlu

On 2/12/2010 8:56 AM, hdnlan wrote:
> Hello Mowgreen. Your comment that KB977165 had been removed from windows
> update doesn't seem to be true. When I go to the site, it still offers the
> update.
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
>> For those who are following this thread, if any, the update has been
>> pulled from Windows Update:
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>>

>> MowGreen
>> ================
>> * -343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ================
>>
>> banthecheck.com

>> .

It was there when I checked this morning.
MowGreen

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows
My comment stems from:
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx

Specifically ( I added the * * )-
" Our initial analysis suggests that the issue occurs after installing
MS10-015 (KB977165). However, we have not confirmed that the issue is
specific to MS10-015 or if it is an interoperability problem with
another component or third-party software. Our teams are working to
resolve this as quickly as possible.* * We also stopped offering this
update through Windows Update as soon as we discovered the restart
issues. * * However, those using enterprise deployment systems such as
SMS or WSUS will still see and be able to deploy these packages. "

If the update is still being offered, then the above statement by *MS*
is incorrect.

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

hdnlan wrote:
> Hello Mowgreen. Your comment that KB977165 had been removed from windows
> update doesn't seem to be true. When I go to the site, it still offers the
> update.
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
>> For those who are following this thread, if any, the update has been
>> pulled from Windows Update:
>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>>

>> MowGreen
>> ================
>> * -343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ================
>>
>> banthecheck.com

>> .

MowGreen

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows
*Clarification* - the update is no longer being offered via automatic
updating. It's still present on the WU/MU sites.

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

MowGreen wrote:
> My comment stems from:
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>

> Specifically ( I added the * * )-
> " Our initial analysis suggests that the issue occurs after installing
> MS10-015 (KB977165). However, we have not confirmed that the issue is
> specific to MS10-015 or if it is an interoperability problem with
> another component or third-party software. Our teams are working to
> resolve this as quickly as possible.* * We also stopped offering this
> update through Windows Update as soon as we discovered the restart
> issues. * * However, those using enterprise deployment systems such as
> SMS or WSUS will still see and be able to deploy these packages. "
>
> If the update is still being offered, then the above statement by *MS*
> is incorrect.
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> * -343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>

> hdnlan wrote:
>> Hello Mowgreen. Your comment that KB977165 had been removed from windows
>> update doesn't seem to be true. When I go to the site, it still offers
>> the
>> update.
>>
>> "MowGreen" wrote:
>>
>>> For those who are following this thread, if any, the update has been
>>> pulled from Windows Update:
>>> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx
>>>

>>> MowGreen
>>> ================
>>> * -343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>> ================
>>>
>>> banthecheck.com
>>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

>>> .

Swerbo

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows

I can't even boot off my WinXP SP2 CDROM, now WTH do I do?

Wow, this really sucks bad. Anyone?
MowGreen

Re: WARNING : KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows
If you have entered the system's setup and configured it to boot from
the CD/DVD first and it still will not load the CD, it's a clear
indication that there is a root kit present.
What happened is that the update broke the root kit's 'functionality'
which in turn affected the CD player.

Suggest you request assistance from Microsoft via one of these methods
as they are still trying to track down the specific nature of these
non-booting XP systems:
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms10-015.aspx

" we encourage customers who feel they have been impacted by this to
contact our Customer Service and Support group by either going to
https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com or by calling
1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). "

For the above link to CSS, suggest you use the below link so as to skip
the initial steps and save a little time:
https://consumersecuritysupport.micr...kphonets=Phone

For the " What would you like assistance with? " option, choose Other.

For the " Be specific when you describe your problem. Please include
details such as error codes or messages to help us promptly send you the
most likely solution to your issue." field, inform them that
Security updates were installed, the system would not restart, the
system can not boot from CD, and you've been told by an MVP that there's
a strong likelihood that a root kit is present that has rendered the
system inoperable due to the installation of KB977165.

MowGreen
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com