installation failure - 5 files. error code: 0x80070005

Radarv00

installation failure - 5 files. error code: 0x80070005
Tried several times to update. Went through FAQ. Tried some troubleshooting.
But still getting FAIL. Funny thing is, The same updates were successful on
two other machines on same network. Files involved are Security Update for
Windows XP (kb975713),(kb978037), (kb975560), (kb977914), (kb978706).
I have cleared out temp files and cookies. Running Norton 360. . .
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Ǝиçεl

RE: installation failure - 5 files. error code: 0x80070005
Further information required:

How to view the Update log in Windows

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate
the error code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to
download/install.

Start at the bottom and work your way up to a section
that shows an ERROR, WARNING, or FATAL.

If appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so
someone may be able to assist you.

On the other hand, you may be able to find the error code and other
suggestions by searching the Newsgroup.

suggest you use the search tool your web interface to
newsgroups provides and look for related discussions
about the KB975713, etc. etc you mentioned .
Search for KB975713

(Alt-7 in Search For type kb975713)

Also check Windows folder for file called KB******.log
(****** = number of update ie KB896688) and post the contents of
the failed update.

This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093>

--

"Radarv00" wrote:

> Tried several times to update. Went through FAQ. Tried some troubleshooting.
> But still getting FAIL. Funny thing is, The same updates were successful on
> two other machines on same network. Files involved are Security Update for
> Windows XP (kb975713),(kb978037), (kb975560), (kb977914), (kb978706).
> I have cleared out temp files and cookies. Running Norton 360. . .
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Peter Foldes

Re: installation failure - 5 files. error code: 0x80070005
Norton strikes again. Get rid of Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool and install
something like Nod32

Norton Removal Tool

Peter

"Radarv00" <Radarv00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tried several times to update. Went through FAQ. Tried some troubleshooting.
> But still getting FAIL. Funny thing is, The same updates were successful on
> two other machines on same network. Files involved are Security Update for
> Windows XP (kb975713),(kb978037), (kb975560), (kb977914), (kb978706).
> I have cleared out temp files and cookies. Running Norton 360. . .
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.

MowGreen

Peter Foldes wrote:
> Norton strikes again. Get rid of Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool
> and install something like Nod32
>
> Norton Removal Tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

I concur. Norton360 is NOT compatible with Windows and is causing the
Access Denied error, 0x80070005.

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
Michael

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> Norton strikes again. Get rid of Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool
>> and install something like Nod32
>>
>> Norton Removal Tool
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>>

> I concur. Norton360 is NOT compatible with Windows and is causing the
> Access Denied error, 0x80070005.
>

> MowGreen

Not to agree or disagree, but I used Norton products since '98 starting with
a Gateway, then on 2 home built machines, 4 laptops and finally this Dell.
Started with Systemworks and ended with 360 and never had a Windows Update
problem. I no longer use it, but not due to problems. I now have
everything running MSE. I'm just wondering why it only effects random
systems?
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

MowGreen

Michael wrote:
> "MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>> Norton strikes again. Get rid of Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool
>>> and install something like Nod32
>>>
>>> Norton Removal Tool
>>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>>>

>> I concur. Norton360 is NOT compatible with Windows and is causing the
>> Access Denied error, 0x80070005.
>>

>> MowGreen

> Not to agree or disagree, but I used Norton products since '98 starting
> with a Gateway, then on 2 home built machines, 4 laptops and finally
> this Dell. Started with Systemworks and ended with 360 and never had a
> Windows Update problem. I no longer use it, but not due to problems. I
> now have everything running MSE. I'm just wondering why it only effects
> random systems?

Michael ... you've seen some of the posts in this NG, right ?
PEBCAK adds to the general "incompatibility" of Symantec products for
the Home User if you catch my drift.

BTW, I have a copy of System Works 2000 that Symantec gave me that's
been lying around since 1999 if you want it.

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
Michael

> Michael wrote:
>> "MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message

>>> I concur. Norton360 is NOT compatible with Windows and is causing the
>>> Access Denied error, 0x80070005.
>>>

>>> MowGreen

>> Not to agree or disagree, but I used Norton products since '98 starting
>> with a Gateway, then on 2 home built machines, 4 laptops and finally
>> this Dell. Started with Systemworks and ended with 360 and never had a
>> Windows Update problem. I no longer use it, but not due to problems. I
>> now have everything running MSE. I'm just wondering why it only effects
>> random systems?

> Michael ... you've seen some of the posts in this NG, right ?
> PEBCAK adds to the general "incompatibility" of Symantec products for the
> Home User if you catch my drift.

I already knew this Mow. I glad you put it in print. Nice to see
"political correctness" hasn't taken over everything and everyone.

> BTW, I have a copy of System Works 2000 that Symantec gave me that's been
> lying around since 1999 if you want it.

Got ya by 1 year. I still have my original Systemworks 1998 with the box.
Don't ask me why...
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Re: installation failure - 5 files. error code: 0x80070005
Contact Symantec Support.

Radarv00 wrote:
> Tried several times to update. Went through FAQ. Tried some
> troubleshooting.
> But still getting FAIL. Funny thing is, The same updates were successful
> on
> two other machines on same network. Files involved are Security Update for
> Windows XP (kb975713),(kb978037), (kb975560), (kb977914), (kb978706).
> I have cleared out temp files and cookies. Running Norton 360. . .
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: installation failure - 5 files. error code: 0x80070005
Michael,

I've dealt with Norton a lot at work. My experience is that it is somewhat
unreliable, even though nine out of ten computers won't have a problem.

I've never caught a glimpse of any particular pattern to the issues we've had.

Harry.

--
"I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only
foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."
Michael

Re: installation failure - 5 files. error code: 0x80070005
In my years using Norton it always caught any nasties to come down the net.
My only argument with it was the bloat. That was eliminated when I got this
Dell XPS. It's a shame it effects some systems for no reason. Now
CrapAfee, otoh, has to be worst AV suite I've ever encountered. When
Communistcast gave it to their subscribers I put it on my laptop. It was
about as effective as a screen door on a submarine.