Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652

Dave R

Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652
I've tried to install this automatically and manually 8 times with no
success. Anybody know what's going on?
--
Dave R
Dave R

RE: Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652
I should add that I'm on Windows 7 and have Norton Internet Security firewall.
--
Dave R

Dave R wrote:
> I should add that I'm on Windows 7 and have Norton Internet Security firewall.

No wonder. Disable Norton *everything*, enable the Windows firewall and
try again.

Shenan Stanley

Dave R wrote:
> I've tried to install this automatically and manually 8 times with
> no success. Anybody know what's going on?
>
> I should add that I'm on Windows 7 and have Norton Internet
> Security firewall.

Uninstall Norton.
Reboot.
Use the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Ensure the Windows Firewall is enabled and with as few exceptions (if any)
as you can have.
Get a different AntiVirus software installed (Avira AntiVir for free or eSet
NOD32 AntiVirus only for $$.)
Try your updates again.

If it doesn't work - come back - there may be some other things you can try.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Dave R

Re: Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652
I have disabled Norton and no change in symptoms.
--
Dave R

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Dave R wrote:
> > I've tried to install this automatically and manually 8 times with
> > no success. Anybody know what's going on?
> >
> > I should add that I'm on Windows 7 and have Norton Internet
> > Security firewall.

> Uninstall Norton.
> Reboot.
> Use the Norton Removal Tool.
> Reboot.
> Ensure the Windows Firewall is enabled and with as few exceptions (if any)
> as you can have.
> Get a different AntiVirus software installed (Avira AntiVir for free or eSet
> NOD32 AntiVirus only for $$.)
> Try your updates again.
>
> If it doesn't work - come back - there may be some other things you can try.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> .

Jim

Re: Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652
Did you also run the Norton removal tool?
Jim
"Dave R" <DaveR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have disabled Norton and no change in symptoms.
> --
> Dave R
>

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> Dave R wrote:
>> > I've tried to install this automatically and manually 8 times with
>> > no success. Anybody know what's going on?
>> >
>> > I should add that I'm on Windows 7 and have Norton Internet
>> > Security firewall.

>> Uninstall Norton.
>> Reboot.
>> Use the Norton Removal Tool.
>> Reboot.
>> Ensure the Windows Firewall is enabled and with as few exceptions (if
>> any)
>> as you can have.
>> Get a different AntiVirus software installed (Avira AntiVir for free or
>> eSet
>> NOD32 AntiVirus only for $$.)
>> Try your updates again.
>>
>> If it doesn't work - come back - there may be some other things you can
>> try.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>

>> .

Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652
Disabling Norton will not work. It is already hooked into your API. You MUST
uninstall it with the Norton Removal Tool.

Use something like Nod32 but do not use Norton. Norton is a virus all by itself

--
Peter

"Dave R" <DaveR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have disabled Norton and no change in symptoms.
> --
> Dave R
>

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> Dave R wrote:
>> > I've tried to install this automatically and manually 8 times with
>> > no success. Anybody know what's going on?
>> >
>> > I should add that I'm on Windows 7 and have Norton Internet
>> > Security firewall.

>> Uninstall Norton.
>> Reboot.
>> Use the Norton Removal Tool.
>> Reboot.
>> Ensure the Windows Firewall is enabled and with as few exceptions (if any)
>> as you can have.
>> Get a different AntiVirus software installed (Avira AntiVir for free or eSet
>> NOD32 AntiVirus only for $$.)
>> Try your updates again.
>>
>> If it doesn't work - come back - there may be some other things you can try.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>

>> .

Dave R

Re: Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652
I have two other PC's running Norton that processed the update successfully.
Still think I should remove it?
--
Dave R

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Disabling Norton will not work. It is already hooked into your API. You MUST
> uninstall it with the Norton Removal Tool.
>
> Use something like Nod32 but do not use Norton. Norton is a virus all by itself
>
> --
> Peter

> "Dave R" <DaveR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have disabled Norton and no change in symptoms.
> > --
> > Dave R

> >> Uninstall Norton.
> >> Reboot.
> >> Use the Norton Removal Tool.
> >> Reboot.
> >> Ensure the Windows Firewall is enabled and with as few exceptions (if any)
> >> as you can have.
> >> Get a different AntiVirus software installed (Avira AntiVir for free or eSet
> >> NOD32 AntiVirus only for $$.)
> >> Try your updates again.
> >>
> >> If it doesn't work - come back - there may be some other things you can try.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shenan Stanley
> >> MS-MVP
> >> --
> >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >>

> >> .
> >>

> .

Shenan Stanley

Dave R wrote:
> I have two other PC's running Norton that processed the update
> successfully. Still think I should remove it?

Without a doubt in my mind - Norton should be removed - from the other two
as well.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows Update KB977719 failure- code 80070652
Can you download & install it manually?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-43712B328F96

Did NIS come preinstalled on your computer when you bought it? Is it
(still) a free trial version or have you purchased it?