KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP

Gene3

KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
Hello,
I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, IE6, Firefox 3.6 (default browser),
ZoneAlarm 6.1, Avast 5.0.

I have these .NET items already installed:
..NET 1.0.3705
..NET 1.0 Hotfix (KB928367)
..NET 1.1
..NET 2.0 SP2
..NET 3.0 SP2
..NET 3.5 SP1

KB953297 shows as a High Priority .NET update at MS Update for me, but
installation fails:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows
Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)

KB940157 an Optional Software update also fails to install:
Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

All other updates installed OK so it's just a problem with these two. I
don't see any reason or error code for the failures, just a message that
they were not installed. Should I try to fix something (is it important?) or
forget about it?

Thanks,
--
G3

Re: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953297

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB953297).

Or you can...

The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center
also offer support options
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.

Gene3 wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, IE6, Firefox 3.6 (default browser),
> ZoneAlarm 6.1, Avast 5.0.
>
> I have these .NET items already installed:
> .NET 1.0.3705
> .NET 1.0 Hotfix (KB928367)
> .NET 1.1
> .NET 2.0 SP2
> .NET 3.0 SP2
> .NET 3.5 SP1
>
> KB953297 shows as a High Priority .NET update at MS Update for me, but
> installation fails:
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
> 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and
> Windows
> Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)
>
> KB940157 an Optional Software update also fails to install:
> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
>
> All other updates installed OK so it's just a problem with these two. I
> don't see any reason or error code for the failures, just a message that
> they were not installed. Should I try to fix something (is it important?)
> or
> forget about it?
>
> Thanks,

Gene3

Re: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
That sounds like a lot of trouble. Is it that important?
--
G3

> See the "How to obtain help" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953297
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
> Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is
> no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
> When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security
> Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB953297).
>
> Or you can...

> The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center
> also offer support options
> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Gene3 wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, IE6, Firefox 3.6 (default browser),
>> ZoneAlarm 6.1, Avast 5.0.
>>
>> I have these .NET items already installed:
>> .NET 1.0.3705
>> .NET 1.0 Hotfix (KB928367)
>> .NET 1.1
>> .NET 2.0 SP2
>> .NET 3.0 SP2
>> .NET 3.5 SP1
>>
>> KB953297 shows as a High Priority .NET update at MS Update for me, but
>> installation fails:
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
>> 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and
>> Windows
>> Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)
>>
>> KB940157 an Optional Software update also fails to install:
>> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
>>
>> All other updates installed OK so it's just a problem with these two. I
>> don't see any reason or error code for the failures, just a message that
>> they were not installed. Should I try to fix something (is it important?)
>> or
>> forget about it?
>>
>> Thanks,

Gene3

Re: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
I bit the bullet, called them, and spent quite a bit of time on the phone
with MS support. They said it's a known issue and tried to fix it by taking
control of my desktop, which didn't work. They also said the various .NET
versions must be installed in proper order. So I made an attempt to fix it
myself by uninstalling then reinstalling the .NET components and updates,
but it just doesn't work right. Once again various components refuse to
install, and now I can't get anything above 1.1 to install. Conclusion: .NET
is an unworkable, buggy mess! MS Update is going down the same drain, in
general, by refusing to install various items (unrelated to .NET). I don't
foresee any solution and don't expect one. It's up to them to fix it, not
me!!! (because I can't)
--
G3

"Gene3" <Gene3@not.valid> wrote in message
> That sounds like a lot of trouble. Is it that important?
> --
> G3

>> See the "How to obtain help" section of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953297

>> (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
>> Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is
>> no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
>> When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security
>> Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB953297).
>>
>> Or you can...

>> The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution
>> Center also offer support options
>> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Gene3 wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, IE6, Firefox 3.6 (default browser),
>>> ZoneAlarm 6.1, Avast 5.0.
>>>
>>> I have these .NET items already installed:
>>> .NET 1.0.3705
>>> .NET 1.0 Hotfix (KB928367)
>>> .NET 1.1
>>> .NET 2.0 SP2
>>> .NET 3.0 SP2
>>> .NET 3.5 SP1
>>>
>>> KB953297 shows as a High Priority .NET update at MS Update for me, but
>>> installation fails:
>>> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
>>> 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and
>>> Windows
>>> Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)
>>>
>>> KB940157 an Optional Software update also fails to install:
>>> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
>>>
>>> All other updates installed OK so it's just a problem with these two. I
>>> don't see any reason or error code for the failures, just a message that
>>> they were not installed. Should I try to fix something (is it
>>> important?) or
>>> forget about it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

ANGELKISSES420

RE: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT THE UPDATE INSTALLING. FEEL LUCKY THAT IT DIDNT
INSTALL. EVERYONES PCS THAT DID INSTALL IT. CRASHED AND IT WONT OPEN WINDOWS.
SO FEEL LUCKY. YOURE ONE OF THE SAFE ONES.

"Gene3" wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, IE6, Firefox 3.6 (default browser),
> ZoneAlarm 6.1, Avast 5.0.
>
> I have these .NET items already installed:
> ..NET 1.0.3705
> ..NET 1.0 Hotfix (KB928367)
> ..NET 1.1
> ..NET 2.0 SP2
> ..NET 3.0 SP2
> ..NET 3.5 SP1
>
> KB953297 shows as a High Priority .NET update at MS Update for me, but
> installation fails:
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
> 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows
> Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)
>
> KB940157 an Optional Software update also fails to install:
> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
>
> All other updates installed OK so it's just a problem with these two. I
> don't see any reason or error code for the failures, just a message that
> they were not installed. Should I try to fix something (is it important?) or
> forget about it?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> G3
>

> .

MowGreen

Re: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
Apparently one of the updates broke your keyboard because your post is
ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS !

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

ANGELKISSES420 wrote:
> I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT THE UPDATE INSTALLING. FEEL LUCKY THAT IT DIDNT
> INSTALL. EVERYONES PCS THAT DID INSTALL IT. CRASHED AND IT WONT OPEN WINDOWS.
> SO FEEL LUCKY. YOURE ONE OF THE SAFE ONES.
>
> "Gene3" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, IE6, Firefox 3.6 (default browser),
>> ZoneAlarm 6.1, Avast 5.0.
>>
>> I have these .NET items already installed:
>> ..NET 1.0.3705
>> ..NET 1.0 Hotfix (KB928367)
>> ..NET 1.1
>> ..NET 2.0 SP2
>> ..NET 3.0 SP2
>> ..NET 3.5 SP1
>>
>> KB953297 shows as a High Priority .NET update at MS Update for me, but
>> installation fails:
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
>> 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows
>> Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)
>>
>> KB940157 an Optional Software update also fails to install:
>> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
>>
>> All other updates installed OK so it's just a problem with these two. I
>> don't see any reason or error code for the failures, just a message that
>> they were not installed. Should I try to fix something (is it important?) or
>> forget about it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> G3
>>

>> .

Gene3

Re: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
CAPS or caps is all the same to me - glad to have the info and feedback.

I've continued to investigate and it seems clear there's something wrong
with the .NET 1.1 SP1 update. It appears to install, but afterwards the
installation is rejected with the following sequence:

Fatal Execution Engine Error (0x7925e104)
SLA.tmp - Common Language Runtime Debuggins Services
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
Process id=0xa74 (2676, Thread id=0xa7c (2684).)
Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.
If click OK: the update is not installed
If click CANCEL: ... (see below) ... the update isn't installed
SLB.tmp - No debugger found.
Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch a JIT
debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2 (2).
Please check computer settings.
cordbg.exe !a 0xdc0
Click on Retry to have the process wait while attaching a debugger manually.

The same thing happens when installing .NET 1.1 itself, but in that case the
installation is accepted despite the error message!? A mystery. My hunch is
there's a file(s) version mismatch somewhere in those packages which causes
the after-the-fact errors but I'm not a guru. I've tried uninstalling /
reinstalling, including use of the .NET cleanup tool, but that's the bottom
line. Everything from .NET 1.0 to 3.5 including service packs installs
*EXCEPT* .NET 1.1 SP1. Like ANGEL says, maybe I should be grateful.

But then it's not reliable. Sometimes things install, sometimes they're
rejected. There's obviously something wrong with the basic MS Update service
in general. It looks like they've turned it back over to amateurs to write
the code and administer.
--
G3

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Apparently one of the updates broke your keyboard because your post is
> ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS !
>
> MowGreen
> ================
> * -343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>

> ANGELKISSES420 wrote:
>> I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT THE UPDATE INSTALLING. FEEL LUCKY THAT IT DIDNT
>> INSTALL. EVERYONES PCS THAT DID INSTALL IT. CRASHED AND IT WONT OPEN
>> WINDOWS.
>> SO FEEL LUCKY. YOURE ONE OF THE SAFE ONES.
>>
>> "Gene3" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm running Windows XP Home SP3, IE6, Firefox 3.6 (default browser),
>>> ZoneAlarm 6.1, Avast 5.0.
>>>
>>> I have these .NET items already installed:
>>> ..NET 1.0.3705
>>> ..NET 1.0 Hotfix (KB928367)
>>> ..NET 1.1
>>> ..NET 2.0 SP2
>>> ..NET 3.0 SP2
>>> ..NET 3.5 SP1
>>>
>>> KB953297 shows as a High Priority .NET update at MS Update for me, but
>>> installation fails:
>>> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows
>>> 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and
>>> Windows
>>> Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)
>>>
>>> KB940157 an Optional Software update also fails to install:
>>> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
>>>
>>> All other updates installed OK so it's just a problem with these two. I
>>> don't see any reason or error code for the failures, just a message that
>>> they were not installed. Should I try to fix something (is it
>>> important?) or
>>> forget about it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> G3
>>>

>>> .

Re: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed (or which had been installed before you &
the MS tech started messing around with things):

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00318785.aspx

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility!!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.
--
~PA Bear

Gene3 wrote:
> I bit the bullet, called them, and spent quite a bit of time on the phone
> with MS support. They said it's a known issue and tried to fix it by
> taking
> control of my desktop, which didn't work. They also said the various .NET
> versions must be installed in proper order. So I made an attempt to fix it
> myself by uninstalling then reinstalling the .NET components and updates,
> but it just doesn't work right. Once again various components refuse to
> install, and now I can't get anything above 1.1 to install. Conclusion:
> .NET
> is an unworkable, buggy mess! MS Update is going down the same drain, in
> general, by refusing to install various items (unrelated to .NET). I don't
> foresee any solution and don't expect one. It's up to them to fix it, not
> me!!! (because I can't)
>
> "Gene3" <Gene3@not.valid> wrote in message
>> That sounds like a lot of trouble. Is it that important?
>> --
>> G3

>>> See the "How to obtain help" section of
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953297
>>>
>>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
>>> (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and
>>> in
>>> Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is
>>> no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
>>> When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security
>>> Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB953297).
>>>
>>> Or you can...
>>>
>>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>>
>>> The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution
>>> Center also offer support options
>>> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3
>>>
>>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
>>> subsidiary
>>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>>
>>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>>> through your usual support contacts.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Gene3

Re: KB953297 and KB940157 won't install on XP
Sorry, that's too complicated for me to follow in any logical fashion. I
fiddled around (including using the .NET cleanup tool) and got everything
from .NET 1.0 through 3.5 to install again, except 1.1 SP1. That one just
doesn't work (won't install) after the others are installed. If I unstall
everything above 1.1, I may get 1.1 SP1 to install again (like I did
before), but then 2.0-3.5 refuse to install. So it's a catch 22 situation,
and I doubt there is any solution. Again, they'll have to fix it, because I
can't!!!
--
G3