Re: Update XP kb977165

[Crosspost to Windows Update newgroup]

See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977165

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB977165).

Or you can...

The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center
also offer support options
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.

R_W_B wrote:
> Hello, my automatic updates keeps saying I need to download and install
> the Security Update XP kb977165. Problem is that I have clicked OK
> and it has download and also installed this update now 6 times on my
> laptop running XP sp3 and after each time it still says the same update
> needs downloading. Been getting updates for years now with no issue ?
> Is anybody else having this issue ?

Jeffrey

Re: Update XP kb977165
Is it safe to install this months Security updates on my Windows XP Home and
Pro PC's?
Is there or has there been a new release of the troubled update?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to Windows Update newgroup]
>
> See the "How to obtain help" section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977165
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
> Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
> for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
> update's KB number (e.g., KB977165).
>
> Or you can...

> The Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center
> also offer support options
> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> R_W_B wrote:
> > Hello, my automatic updates keeps saying I need to download and install
> > the Security Update XP kb977165. Problem is that I have clicked OK
> > and it has download and also installed this update now 6 times on my
> > laptop running XP sp3 and after each time it still says the same update
> > needs downloading. Been getting updates for years now with no issue ?
> > Is anybody else having this issue ?

> .

Re: Update XP kb977165
Jeffrey wrote:
> Is it safe to install this months Security updates on my Windows XP Home and
> Pro PC's?
> Is there or has there been a new release of the troubled update?

I updated one Pro and one Home with no problems. Be sure and disable
your anti virus' real time scanning before the install as well as using
Crap Cleaner (www.ccleaner.com) to clear all temporary files. I would
also set a restore point.

MowGreen

Re: Update XP kb977165
Inline:

Jeffrey wrote:
> Is it safe to install this months Security updates on my Windows XP Home and
> Pro PC's?

It installed fine with no toxic effects on numerous XP systems here,
including a few Dells.

Of course, YMMV. A recovery method has been posted by Kevin Hau of
Microsoft here that includes a link to a Fixit that mitigates the
vulnerability addressed by the update -

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-e292b69f2fd1/

> Is there or has there been a new release of the troubled update?

Not yet. Stay tuned or run the Fixit and forget the update. <w>

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crosspost to Windows Update newgroup]
>>
>> See the "How to obtain help" section of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977165

>> (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
>> Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
>> for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
>> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
>> update's KB number (e.g., KB977165).
>>
>> Or you can...

>> The Consumer Security Support home page& Microsoft Update Solution Center
>> also offer support options
>> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
>> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
>> your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> R_W_B wrote:
>>> Hello, my automatic updates keeps saying I need to download and install
>>> the Security Update XP kb977165. Problem is that I have clicked OK
>>> and it has download and also installed this update now 6 times on my
>>> laptop running XP sp3 and after each time it still says the same update
>>> needs downloading. Been getting updates for years now with no issue ?
>>> Is anybody else having this issue ?

>> .

Jeffrey

Re: Update XP kb977165
Did a complete download of all updates for both the laptop and PC both (Dells).
No problems so far.
Thanks

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Inline:
>
> Jeffrey wrote:
> > Is it safe to install this months Security updates on my Windows XP Home and
> > Pro PC's?

> It installed fine with no toxic effects on numerous XP systems here,
> including a few Dells.
>
> Of course, YMMV. A recovery method has been posted by Kevin Hau of
> Microsoft here that includes a link to a Fixit that mitigates the
> vulnerability addressed by the update -
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...-e292b69f2fd1/
>
> > Is there or has there been a new release of the troubled update?

> Not yet. Stay tuned or run the Fixit and forget the update. <w>
>

> MowGreen
> ================
> * -343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Crosspost to Windows Update newgroup]
> >>
> >> See the "How to obtain help" section of
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977165
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
> >> Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
> >> for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
> >> clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
> >> update's KB number (e.g., KB977165).
> >>
> >> Or you can...
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> The Consumer Security Support home page& Microsoft Update Solution Center
> >> also offer support options
> >> https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com/
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> >> .
> >>

> .

MowGreen

Re: Update XP kb977165
Most folks are not having issues from installing KB977165. One
interesting turn of events is that it *definitely* causes BSODs on
systems that have this malware resident -

" I uploaded the non-working atapi.sys to VirusTotal. Here's the result:

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8...7ff-1265925529

Apparently, this update problem is the result of an infection. "
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=8209#comment

Tdss rootkit silently owns the net
http://www.prevx.com/blog/139/Tdss-r...s-the-net.html

I reckon the BSOD is a blessing in disguise for those who never knew
their systems were compromised.

MowGreen
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten