Vista Windows Update Stopped Working & worse...

DonnaM

Vista Windows Update Stopped Working & worse...
I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. When I first got the computer,
update worked great... a few months ago, update would *say* it downloaded and
installed whatever updates it had found, then it just would NOT download them
at all.

For awhile, I was too busy to keep messing with it... then I found
Auto-Patcher (an alternative updater) and thought the problem was solved, but
just as with the original updater, when I search for them in Add-Remove
Programs or in Update History, the computer says there are NONE.

That's not good because it's a security issue, among other things.

I really need some help -- and NO, update refused to download and install...
tried that today.

Thanks for any experience & help that actually works... I'm at my wit's end.

--
Thanks for your help,

Donna
thetotalnewbiesguide.com
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Vista Windows Update Stopped Working & worse...
Donna,

Based on what you describe it sounds as if the problem is the computer not
correctly reporting which updates are installed, but I can't be certain.

Have you tried explicitly downloading and manually installing an update? For
example, you could try this one:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1902fc93-0f4b-4261-9da3-17d1931daf2e&displaylang=en>

If this doesn't work, what exactly goes wrong?

Harry.

On 2010-02-11 11:37 a.m., DonnaM wrote:
> I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. When I first got the computer,
> update worked great... a few months ago, update would *say* it downloaded and
> installed whatever updates it had found, then it just would NOT download them
> at all.
>
> For awhile, I was too busy to keep messing with it... then I found
> Auto-Patcher (an alternative updater) and thought the problem was solved, but
> just as with the original updater, when I search for them in Add-Remove
> Programs or in Update History, the computer says there are NONE.
>
> That's not good because it's a security issue, among other things.
>
> I really need some help -- and NO, update refused to download and install...
> tried that today.
>
> Thanks for any experience& help that actually works... I'm at my wit's end.

--
"I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only
foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."
DonnaM

Re: Vista Windows Update Stopped Working & worse...
Hello Harry,

Thanks for taking time to try... not sure where the problem is, but it's a
doozy!

I tried your suggestion and as soon as I click on the downloaded .msu file, a
little "Windows Update Standalone Installer" kicks on and starts searching for
updates... and a little green coloring goes back and forth and back and
forth
and this goes on until I have to use Task Manager to stop it because that's
ALL
it ever does. Went on like that for an hour or so and I figured it wasn't
gonna
do anything. Hitting the cancel button availed nothing so used Task Mgr to
shut
it off.

I did find where Auto Patcher downloaded ALL the updates but if wusa.exe won't
install them, I'm still without critical updates on my system.

Baffling.... sure wish old Bill would put out a version of windows that
remained
stable after people like me who like to download and install TONS of proggies
do so and slow their systems down. Computer programming is sheer genius...
there's gotta be a way!!

Thanks for your help, not sure what to try next... reinstalling windows is
NOT an option,
already been thru that hell last summer. I have a lonnnnnnnnnnng list of
stuff to
do from microsoft support (email today) so guess I'll go thru that torture
over the
next several days and see what transpires. *sigh*

Donna

thetotalnewbiesguide.com

On 2010-02-12 2:15 p.m., DonnaM wrote:

> Thanks for taking time to try... not sure where the problem is, but it's a
> doozy!
>
> I tried your suggestion and as soon as I click on the downloaded .msu file, a
> little "Windows Update Standalone Installer" kicks on and starts searching for
> updates... and a little green coloring goes back and forth and back and
> forth
> and this goes on until I have to use Task Manager to stop it because that's
> ALL
> it ever does. Went on like that for an hour or so and I figured it wasn't
> gonna
> do anything. Hitting the cancel button availed nothing so used Task Mgr to
> shut
> it off.

Have you tried doing the installation in Safe Mode? Turning off anti-virus
software before running it? What anti-virus software are you using, BTW?

Try downloading and installing the System Update Readiness Tool, KB947821:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293&displaylang=en>

I suggest that after downloading the .msu file above, you reboot to Safe Mode
before running it.

Others with more experience with Vista may have better suggestions. :-)

Harry.