Re: Shut down - Install update and shut down - forever

Re: Shut down - Install update and shut down - forever
[Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Please state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2;
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) of the computer in question.

Can you tell us the KB number(s) of the update(s) in question?

in the background when you installed ___?

it)?

Alan T wrote:
> My machine recently cannot be shut down if I choose 'Install update and
> shut
> down'.
> The screen just keep saying:
> Install 1 of 1 ...
> then
> Don't turn off the power, it will shut down itself
> then repeat the above
>
> I had been waiting for few hours still saying the same thing.

alwaysl00king2

Re: Shut down - Install update and shut down - forever
I had the same issue, except I had it rebooting all night long on update 3 of
3. It would go to 100% and reboot again, only to install update 3 of 3.

Software running Vista Home premium SP2
It appears norton is shot, Everytime I try to open IE I get the message IE
has encountered a problem. I have several Norton red x's in my bar by my
clock. Norton is 360, exact version or build I can not say, because I can no
longer access it.
I tried to go back with system restore, but was told I had no restore
points. I know this to be incorrect.
The PC is a Toshiba Satellite P205D AMD Turion 64x2 Mobile Technology TL-58
32 bit OS

I have not tried uninstalling Norton Yet, but so far 'easy fixes' have not
been successful. I am not sure why I can open IE up with the link in windows
help. I get the error, but the page did load successfully. I have not tried
other software yet to know the full extent of the problem.

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB971468)

Installation date: ‎2/‎11/‎2010 9:21 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80071A30

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated
remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can
help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

That was the last failure, the first failure was

Security Update for Windows Vista (KB975560)

Installation date: ‎2/‎11/‎2010 3:02 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070026