sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read from o

gship

sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read from o
HP pavillion A1430N
Xp version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 X86 based
AMD Athlon 64xdual
Install goes well until right after a restore point is set. Get "unable to
read from or write to database"Does anyone haave any ideas?-
Thanks,-
gship
Ǝиçεl

RE: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read from o
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915169
is applicable to SP3

-=-
02/09/1004:59:13 pm

"gship" wrote:

> HP pavillion A1430N
> Xp version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 X86 based
> AMD Athlon 64xdual
> Install goes well until right after a restore point is set. Get "unable to
> read from or write to database"Does anyone haave any ideas?-
> Thanks,-
> gship

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read from o
Why wasn't WinXP SP3 installed over a year ago?

in the background when you installed SP3?

it)?

gship wrote:
> HP pavillion A1430N
> Xp version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 X86 based
> AMD Athlon 64xdual
> Install goes well until right after a restore point is set. Get "unable to
> read from or write to database"Does anyone haave any ideas?-
> Thanks,-
> gship

gship

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read fr
I had a bad virus and had to resort to system recovery. I have been updating
since then, and have done fine till I tried to install sp3.
I am running McAfee, Super Antispyware, and Malwarebytes, but have tried
disabling all and installing sp3 and get the same result.
--
gship

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Why wasn't WinXP SP3 installed over a year ago?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed SP3?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>

> gship wrote:
> > HP pavillion A1430N
> > Xp version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 X86 based
> > AMD Athlon 64xdual
> > Install goes well until right after a restore point is set. Get "unable to
> > read from or write to database"Does anyone haave any ideas?-
> > Thanks,-
> > gship

> .

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read fr
Had IE7 or IE8 been installed before you did the "system recovery"?

Was the "system recovery" a Repair Install or did you format the HDD & then
do clean install?

[If all of your data (e.g., the contents of My Documents folder) and
third-party application (e.g., S*PERAntiSpyware) were preserved, you did a
Repair Install.]

Did a McAfee or Norton free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it?

gship wrote:
> I had a bad virus and had to resort to system recovery. I have been
> updating
> since then, and have done fine till I tried to install sp3.
> I am running McAfee, Super Antispyware, and Malwarebytes, but have tried
> disabling all and installing sp3 and get the same result.
>
>> Why wasn't WinXP SP3 installed over a year ago?

>> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?

>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> gship wrote:
>>> HP pavillion A1430N
>>> Xp version 5.1.2600 sp2 build 2600 X86 based
>>> AMD Athlon 64xdual
>>> Install goes well until right after a restore point is set. Get "unable
>>> read from or write to database"Does anyone haave any ideas?-
>>> Thanks,-
>>> gship

>> .

gship

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read fr
IE8 had been installed before the Repair Install. All of My Documents, ect.
were preserved, but not all third party applications were. As I recall, a
Norton trial version originally came with the computer as well as Webroot Spy
Sweeper and Trend Antivirus, but I uninstalled them a couple of years ago.
--
gship

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Had IE7 or IE8 been installed before you did the "system recovery"?
>
> Was the "system recovery" a Repair Install or did you format the HDD & then
> do clean install?
>
> [If all of your data (e.g., the contents of My Documents folder) and
> third-party application (e.g., S*PERAntiSpyware) were preserved, you did a
> Repair Install.]
>
> Did a McAfee or Norton free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
> bought it?
>

> gship wrote:
> > I had a bad virus and had to resort to system recovery. I have been
> > updating
> > since then, and have done fine till I tried to install sp3.
> > I am running McAfee, Super Antispyware, and Malwarebytes, but have tried
> > disabling all and installing sp3 and get the same result.
> >
> >> Why wasn't WinXP SP3 installed over a year ago?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?

> >> .

> .

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read fr
See...

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Your *only* recourse now is to back-up your data, format the HDD & then do a
clean install of WinXP. Details available on request.

gship wrote:
> IE8 had been installed before the Repair Install. All of My Documents,
> ect.
> were preserved, but not all third party applications were. As I recall, a
> Norton trial version originally came with the computer as well as Webroot
> Spy Sweeper and Trend Antivirus, but I uninstalled them a couple of years
> ago.
>
>> Had IE7 or IE8 been installed before you did the "system recovery"?
>>
>> Was the "system recovery" a Repair Install or did you format the HDD &
>> then
>> do clean install?
>>
>> [If all of your data (e.g., the contents of My Documents folder) and
>> third-party application (e.g., S*PERAntiSpyware) were preserved, you did
>> Repair Install.]
>>
>> Did a McAfee or Norton free trial come preinstalled on the computer when
>> you bought it?
>>

>> gship wrote:
>>> I had a bad virus and had to resort to system recovery. I have been
>>> updating
>>> since then, and have done fine till I tried to install sp3.
>>> I am running McAfee, Super Antispyware, and Malwarebytes, but have tried
>>> disabling all and installing sp3 and get the same result.

>> .

gship

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read fr
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it went when I get finished!
--
gship

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See...
>
> How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
> Internet Explorer is installed
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
>
> Your *only* recourse now is to back-up your data, format the HDD & then do a
> clean install of WinXP. Details available on request.
>

> gship wrote:
> > IE8 had been installed before the Repair Install. All of My Documents,
> > ect.
> > were preserved, but not all third party applications were. As I recall, a
> > Norton trial version originally came with the computer as well as Webroot
> > Spy Sweeper and Trend Antivirus, but I uninstalled them a couple of years
> > ago.
> >
> >> Had IE7 or IE8 been installed before you did the "system recovery"?
> >>
> >> Was the "system recovery" a Repair Install or did you format the HDD &
> >> then
> >> do clean install?
> >>
> >> [If all of your data (e.g., the contents of My Documents folder) and
> >> third-party application (e.g., S*PERAntiSpyware) were preserved, you did
> >> Repair Install.]
> >>
> >> Did a McAfee or Norton free trial come preinstalled on the computer when
> >> you bought it?

> >> .

> .

gship

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read fr
My thanks to Pa Bear. All went well and my problem is solved! You rock!!!
--
gship

"gship" wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it went when I get finished!
> --
> gship
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > See...
> >
> > How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
> > Internet Explorer is installed
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
> >
> > Your *only* recourse now is to back-up your data, format the HDD & then do a
> > clean install of WinXP. Details available on request.
> >

> > gship wrote:
> > > IE8 had been installed before the Repair Install. All of My Documents,
> > > ect.
> > > were preserved, but not all third party applications were. As I recall, a
> > > Norton trial version originally came with the computer as well as Webroot
> > > Spy Sweeper and Trend Antivirus, but I uninstalled them a couple of years
> > > ago.

> > .

Re: sp3 install fails with error code 0x800710D9(unable to read fr
YW & thanks for your feedback.