Windows Update Automatic When I Want Manual

Flamencoqueen

Windows Update Automatic When I Want Manual
I have set Windows update to notify me when there are updates to download and
install..but recently, they have been downloading and installing
automatically! I don't know what else to do now!

Re: Windows Update Automatic When I Want Manual
Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or
newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply.

With any of the Automatic Updates options selected, you will only see AU's
yellow "Updates are ready to be installed" icon when *all* of the approved
updates have downloaded or installed.

If some but not all of the approved updates have downloaded, you may
encounter a "Click to install important updates and then shut down" button
when you go to turn off your computer. Doing so will install the
already-downloaded updates (see Event Log | System section).

• Microsoft Update Product Team Blog: Update Notifications and
Install-at-Shutdown Behavior:
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...-shutdown.aspx

Absent any serious numerical Errors in your windowsupdate.log (cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093), you may be seeing delays (i.e., in
downloading or installing all approved updates) caused by excessive demand
on the servers ("Update is not allowed to download due to regulation").
See...

• Updates are not downloaded or the “Automatic Updates” icon does not
display the status of downloads when you enable the Automatic Updates
service

In most cases, you can install all of the desired updates manually via
Windows/Microsoft Update website (WinXP) or by running Windows Update
manually (Vista & Win7) instead: Understand that by doing so, you're pushing
all other Automatic Updates users further back in the queue...which may
explain, at least in part, why Automatic Updates may not have brought them
in for you yet.

Flamencoqueen wrote:
> I have set Windows update to notify me when there are updates to download
> and install..but recently, they have been downloading and installing
> automatically! I don't know what else to do now!

MowGreen

Flamencoqueen wrote:
> I have set Windows update to notify me when there are updates to download and
> install..but recently, they have been downloading and installing
> automatically! I don't know what else to do now!

The flamenco ?
But seriously, we'll be in this room until the end of the month so
please, come again. And, bring your friends !

1) Which edition of Windows; what Service Pack level is it now on ?

2) *Specifically*, which updates have downloaded and installed without
your Approval ?

MowGreen
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten