Error number: 0x80090008

Janet Carroll

Error number: 0x80090008
I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and it
has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really would
like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates and
when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even comes up
when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that there
is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
Windows version would be...?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

Janet Carroll wrote:
> I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and
> it
> has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really would
> like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
> notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates and
> when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even comes
> up
> when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that
> there
> is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
> suggestions? Thanks.

Janet Carroll

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
I have Windowsw XP SP 2. McAfee subscription is current (one of the things
done was to reinstall McAfee but still had the error). Also McAfee firewall.
Never installed any other such as Norton. Everything was working ok until
mid-December and have not loaded any new apps during that time.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version would be...?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>

> Janet Carroll wrote:
> > I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and
> > it
> > has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really would
> > like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
> > notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates and
> > when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even comes
> > up
> > when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that
> > there
> > is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
> > suggestions? Thanks.

> .

Janet Carroll

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
Additional information. I just found that error code 80090008 exists for
Visual Basic for invalid algorithm specified. Could my Update error actually
be referring to VB?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version would be...?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
>

> Janet Carroll wrote:
> > I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and
> > it
> > has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really would
> > like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
> > notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates and
> > when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even comes
> > up
> > when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that
> > there
> > is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
> > suggestions? Thanks.

> .

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
Answer my questions by number in your reply (don't try to quote my post &
intersperse your anwsers):

1. To the best of your knowledge, when was the last time Windows Updates
successfully installed (e.g., mid-November 2009; September 2009 or earlier)?

2. Any particular reason you hadn't installed WinXP SP3 over a year ago?

[Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.]

3. Did a McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought
it? How about a Norton free trial? (Doesn't matter if you never used or
Activated it.)

4. Has your McAfee subscription (or free trial) ever expired, if only for a
day or two?

5. Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & then
find it's still enabled?

6. The above notwithstanding, see if this McAfee three-step fix resolves the
problem: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Janet Carroll wrote:
> I have Windowsw XP SP 2. McAfee subscription is current (one of the
> things
> done was to reinstall McAfee but still had the error). Also McAfee
> firewall. Never installed any other such as Norton. Everything was
> working
> ok until mid-December and have not loaded any new apps during that time.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Windows version would be...?

>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> Janet Carroll wrote:
>>> I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and
>>> it
>>> has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really
>>> would
>>> like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
>>> notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates
>>> and
>>> when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even
>>> comes
>>> up
>>> when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that
>>> there
>>> is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
>>> suggestions? Thanks.

>> .

Janet Carroll

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
1. End of January 2010 by working with MS support
2. Yes. I downloaded SP3 when it first came out and it hosed my computer.
I worked with MS for days to get it back, had to order my install disks from
Dell, and MS was finally able to uninstall SP3 for me through a back door.
3. No. Full purchased package was preinstalled, not a free trial.
4. No. McAfee subscription runs through June of 2010.
5. Yes.
6. Working with MS support, I previously removed McAfee but did not run
MCPR.exe. I will try that now.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Answer my questions by number in your reply (don't try to quote my post &
> intersperse your anwsers):
>
> 1. To the best of your knowledge, when was the last time Windows Updates
> successfully installed (e.g., mid-November 2009; September 2009 or earlier)?
>
> 2. Any particular reason you hadn't installed WinXP SP3 over a year ago?
>
> [Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
> computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
> security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
> website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.]
>
> 3. Did a McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought
> it? How about a Norton free trial? (Doesn't matter if you never used or
> Activated it.)
>
> 4. Has your McAfee subscription (or free trial) ever expired, if only for a
> day or two?
>
> 5. Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & then
> find it's still enabled?
>
> 6. The above notwithstanding, see if this McAfee three-step fix resolves the
> problem: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>

> Janet Carroll wrote:
> > I have Windowsw XP SP 2. McAfee subscription is current (one of the
> > things
> > done was to reinstall McAfee but still had the error). Also McAfee
> > firewall. Never installed any other such as Norton. Everything was
> > working
> > ok until mid-December and have not loaded any new apps during that time.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Windows version would be...?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?

> >> .

> .

Janet Carroll

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
6. Following uninstall of McAfee I am unable to locate and download MCPR.exe

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Answer my questions by number in your reply (don't try to quote my post &
> intersperse your anwsers):
>
> 1. To the best of your knowledge, when was the last time Windows Updates
> successfully installed (e.g., mid-November 2009; September 2009 or earlier)?
>
> 2. Any particular reason you hadn't installed WinXP SP3 over a year ago?
>
> [Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
> computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
> security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
> website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.]
>
> 3. Did a McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought
> it? How about a Norton free trial? (Doesn't matter if you never used or
> Activated it.)
>
> 4. Has your McAfee subscription (or free trial) ever expired, if only for a
> day or two?
>
> 5. Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & then
> find it's still enabled?
>
> 6. The above notwithstanding, see if this McAfee three-step fix resolves the
> problem: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
>

> Janet Carroll wrote:
> > I have Windowsw XP SP 2. McAfee subscription is current (one of the
> > things
> > done was to reinstall McAfee but still had the error). Also McAfee
> > firewall. Never installed any other such as Norton. Everything was
> > working
> > ok until mid-December and have not loaded any new apps during that time.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Windows version would be...?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?

> >> .

> .

Alan

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
Hi Janet,
I'm having the same problem as you. I have had no updates since the 9th Dec
2009. I'm just a novice on the computer so I don't know what this SP 3 means
etc.
I have got Windows XP home edition and that's about all I know.
I have uninstalled AVG and knocked my firewall off but I still can't access
the update website. It goes throught the motions of checking my PC for
updates and then the webpage will not open. Also Windows Defender won't
update.
Alan

"Janet Carroll" wrote:

> Additional information. I just found that error code 80090008 exists for
> Visual Basic for invalid algorithm specified. Could my Update error actually
> be referring to VB?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Windows version would be...?
> >
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> > What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >
> > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> > computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> > it)?
> >

> > Janet Carroll wrote:
> > > I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and
> > > it
> > > has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really would
> > > like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
> > > notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates and
> > > when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even comes
> > > up
> > > when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that
> > > there
> > > is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
> > > suggestions? Thanks.

> > .

Alan

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
Hi Janet,
Just downloaded and installed Windows service pack 3. This took an hour from
start to finish. Everything now works including updates and the PC is faster.
I have sat for hours and listened to a lot of advise but, this is all you
have to do. This update should have been done automatic but it did not happen
on mine. Nothing to do with security site's etc.
It works....Bliss
Alan

"Janet Carroll" wrote:

> Additional information. I just found that error code 80090008 exists for
> Visual Basic for invalid algorithm specified. Could my Update error actually
> be referring to VB?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Windows version would be...?
> >
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> > What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >
> > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
> > computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> > it)?
> >

> > Janet Carroll wrote:
> > > I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and
> > > it
> > > has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really would
> > > like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
> > > notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates and
> > > when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even comes
> > > up
> > > when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that
> > > there
> > > is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
> > > suggestions? Thanks.

> > .

Re: Error number: 0x80090008
IMPORTANT! Enable the Windows Firewall NOW if you've not done so already!!

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. IMPORTANT! Reinstall your McAfee application or install a different AV
ap NOW!!!

Repost: If you do not have WinXP SP3 installed by 10 July 2010, your
computer will NOT be offered any further updates whatsoever, Automatic
Updates will not work, and you will not be able to access Windows Update
website. So whatever your problem was, you'd better get it straightened out
by July.

Note: The next batch of updates will be released c. 12 Noon PST (UTC -8) on
Tuesday, 9 February 2010 (or less than 12 hours from now).
--
~PA Bear

Janet Carroll wrote:
<paste>
> 1. End of January 2010 by working with MS support
> 2. Yes. I downloaded SP3 when it first came out and it hosed my
> computer.
> I worked with MS for days to get it back, had to order my install disks
> from
> Dell, and MS was finally able to uninstall SP3 for me through a back door.
> 3. No. Full purchased package was preinstalled, not a free trial.
> 4. No. McAfee subscription runs through June of 2010.
> 5. Yes.
> 6. Working with MS support, I previously removed McAfee but did not run
> MCPR.exe. I will try that now.

</paste>