Windows SP3 Update won't complete because of Beethoven's 9th

Dellphinus

Windows SP3 Update won't complete because of Beethoven's 9th
Trying to install Windows SP3 via Live Update, and Beethoven's 9 (a WMA file)
fails every time. ANy suggestions? Please? Because of this song, the enire
SP3 install uninstalls, then I get presented with a "SP3 failed to completely
remove, WIndows may not work properly.

Any suggestions? Please?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows SP3 Update won't complete because of Beethoven's 9th
Dellphinus wrote:
> Trying to install Windows SP3 via Live Update, and Beethoven's 9 (a
> WMA file) fails every time. ANy suggestions? Please? Because of
> this song, the enire SP3 install uninstalls, then I get presented
> with a "SP3 failed to completely remove, WIndows may not work
> properly.
>
> Any suggestions? Please?

Live update? That's a Symantec thing.

Sounds like you need to do some preparation *after* you confirm what you are
doing.

Here's my suggestion - it's a procedure, not a 'do this and try again, if
that doesn't work, do this and try again' - but a 'do this, this, this,
this, this and this and then try' thing. Long, easy, but time consuming.
If nothing else, you will end up with a cleaner system and a lot of possible
issues will be eliminated.

First - please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
Windows XP you have:

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears. When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

If there is, let everyone here know this and stop the quest - as you have no
SP3 for your operating system.

If there is not, let everyone here know this and continue the quest.

Next we will get the edition and version information...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

Next question has to do with what type of computer you own and what type
of processor it has. It's pretty straight forward: Is it an HP branded
computer and does it have an AMD processor installed?

If the answer to BOTH of those is YES, then you need to prevent a known
issue with that combination using the following instructions:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com:80/ewfrf/w...tem=pv-60484-2

If the answer to EITHER of those is NO, then you are generally safe in
continuing on. But either way - answer back here so everyone can know
what you are doing/what you have step-by-excruciating-step.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Let's look at your copy/license of Windows XP now - validate it if you
will. Visit the following web site in Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
and locate/click on the "Start Diagnostics" blue button on the left side
of the web page. Does everything pass? If not - what are the diagnostic
steps they have you go through?

Next, download/run:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either Run or Save the tool. Choose to Run the
tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an Internet
Explorer-Security Warning dialog box for the Windows Genuine Advantage
Diagnostic Tool; you must choose to Run this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose Continue to run
the diagnostic report. If the RESOLVE button is available after running
the diagnostics, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to
attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the Windows tab and
then click on Copy.
2. Please return to this post and paste the results here for additional
review.

Now that we have some base information, let's cleanup and get ready to
install Windows XP SP3 onto your Windows XP system.

Reboot so you start with a fresh machine. For everything here you will
need to logon as an user with administrative (installation) priviledges.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up. No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files. It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about. But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Now for SP3...

Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

You are just saving it right now - not running it yet. There will be no
file size deviation - it is 316.4MB.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3. Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable.

Reboot when requested to do so.

Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes.

Reboot.

Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Dellphinus

Re: Windows SP3 Update won't complete because of Beethoven's 9th
Forgive my misnaming og WIndows Update, it's been a long day.

The background:
Dell DImension 4500, Intel Processor

WIndows XP, Home Edition, SP2.
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:Service Pack 2)

Internet Explorer:
Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results- all passed

Validation Complete!

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
WGA Data-->
Validation Status: Genuine
Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00102
Windows Product ID Type: 2
Windows License Type: OEM SLP
Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
ID: {C254DE3A-856C-402B-AF92-478E1AAEF17F}(3)
Is Admin: Yes
TestCab: 0x0
WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
Signed By: Microsoft
Product Name: N/A
Architecture: N/A
Build lab: N/A
TTS Error: N/A
Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
ThreatID(s): N/A
Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
File Exists: No
Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
Office Status: 109 N/A
OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
Signed By: Microsoft
Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
Proxy settings: N/A
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
Active scripting: Allowed
Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin[hr = 0x80070714]
File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat[hr = 0x80070714]
File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig[hr = 0x80070714]

Other data-->
Office Details:
<GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{C254DE3A-856C-402B-AF92-478E1AAEF17F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-573930261-694575682-3838971669</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell
Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4600i
</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer
Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A10</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2"
minor="3"/><Date>20040517000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell
Computer,Dell System,Dell
System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>26AA31E701848053</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central
Standard
Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell DIMENSION
DIM4600</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData>
<Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Licensing Data-->
N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
N/A

HWID Data-->
N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
BIOS string matches: yes
Marker string from BIOS: 1B1D0ell Inc|1B1D0:Microsoft Corporation
Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell
System

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
N/A

Now, before "I" go on, and launch into a 4 hour reboot repeat marathon:
I just completed a 4 day virus removal process. SAS, MBAM, ESET, McAfee,
Kaspersky, OTS all report a clean machine.
I just completed the upgrade from SP1 to SP2 via WIndows Update, with no
problems.
I attempted to continue with Windows Update to update to SP3.
It downloaded SP3 successfully, and installed up to the point where it was
copying "Beethoveen's 9th something or other".wma 9sorry, I can't recall the
exact name). It presented an option box- continue without this file? I
elected to continue.
ALl went well unitl another error regarding this file presented- Cannot copy
to location xxxxxx.xxxx. And it gave me the option to navigate to the
location of th efile, or install the SP3 CD. I found the location of the
file, and gave it the location, but it continued to fail.
After electing to exit the installation, the install then unisnstalled, an
error message came up that said the uninstall was not complete, and Windows
may not operate properly. I went back to the Update Center, clicked on the
failed update, and it took me to a Microsfot site that indicate the proper
course of action was to retry the update.
I repeated the update with the exact same results.

Now, if it is truly necessary to go through all the remaining steps, so be
it.
But I have to ask these questions:
1. Is there a way to force Windows Update to download the complete update
again, and perhaps correct the corrupt files. Now, it appears to be trying
to install from the files it downloaded the first time.
2. Is there a way to get a copy of the errant file itself, and when I get
to that point in the install, and it asks for the location of the file, point
it to the "clean" file?

Not trying to be difficult or obtuse here, just accomplish the SP3 upgrade
and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Thanks.
If it is a simple case of the errant file was somehow corrupted in the
update download, and I can

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> time. Rebooting as needed.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
> "Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
> Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
> install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
> step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
> until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
> you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
> through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
> and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.
>
> Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if

Dellphinus

Re: Windows SP3 Update won't complete because of Beethoven's 9th
The error returned during the update:
Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x8007007B
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
resources.

For self-help options:

* Frequently Asked Questions
* Find Solutions
* Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

* Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to
getting updates)

"Dellphinus" wrote:

> [...]

> > --> type in:
> > "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
> > --> Click OK.
> > (The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)
> >
> > It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
> > excited about. But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
> > better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
> > but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)
> >
> > Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
> > again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.
> >
> > This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
> > running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
> > anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Re: Windows SP3 Update won't complete because of Beethoven's 9th
Pick one or two:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...v9.wma+%2B+mvp

Log on as Administrator & try again; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Dellphinus wrote:
> Trying to install Windows SP3 via Live Update, and Beethoven's 9 (a WMA
> file) fails every time. ANy suggestions? Please? Because of this song,
> the enire SP3 install uninstalls, then I get presented with a "SP3 failed
> to completely remove, WIndows may not work properly.
>
> Any suggestions? Please?

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows SP3 Update won't complete because of Beethoven's 9th
<snip>

Dellphinus wrote:
> Forgive my misnaming og WIndows Update, it's been a long day.
>
> The background:
> Dell DImension 4500, Intel Processor
>
> WIndows XP, Home Edition, SP2.
> Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:Service Pack 2)
>
> Internet Explorer:
> Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
>
> Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results- all passed

<snipped>
> Now, before "I" go on, and launch into a 4 hour reboot repeat
> marathon:
> I just completed a 4 day virus removal process. SAS, MBAM, ESET,
> McAfee, Kaspersky, OTS all report a clean machine.

What's left installed of the antivirus products?

> I just completed the upgrade from SP1 to SP2 via WIndows Update,
> with no problems.

FFantastic - that's not your current problem. ;-)

> I attempted to continue with Windows Update to update to SP3.
> It downloaded SP3 successfully, and installed up to the point where
> it was copying "Beethoveen's 9th something or other".wma 9sorry, I
> can't recall the exact name). It presented an option box- continue
> without this file? I elected to continue.

Permissions issue most likely. Fixed by the first thing I suggested in
most cases.

> ALl went well unitl another error regarding this file presented-
> Cannot copy to location xxxxxx.xxxx. And it gave me the option to
> navigate to the location of th efile, or install the SP3 CD. I
> found the location of the file, and gave it the location, but it
> continued to fail.

See my first suggested fix.

> After electing to exit the installation, the install then
> unisnstalled, an error message came up that said the uninstall was
> not complete, and Windows may not operate properly. I went back to
> the Update Center, clicked on the failed update, and it took me to
> a Microsfot site that indicate the proper course of action was to
> retry the update.

Did I mention the fix? *grin*

> I repeated the update with the exact same results.

If you did nothing to change them, its unlikely that was good advice (mno
matter where it came from.)

> Now, if it is truly necessary to go through all the remaining
> steps, so be it.
> But I have to ask these questions:
> 1. Is there a way to force Windows Update to download the complete
> update again, and perhaps correct the corrupt files. Now, it
> appears to be trying to install from the files it downloaded the
> first time.

Without fixing the problem your machine has? No.

> 2. Is there a way to get a copy of the errant file itself, and
> when I get to that point in the install, and it asks for the
> location of the file, point it to the "clean" file?

The file itself is likely fine - sounds like the permissions to the file are
messed up.

> Not trying to be difficult or obtuse here, just accomplish the SP3
> upgrade and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Understandable - and if you had gone through everything I gave, you most
likely would have been done by now if the machine is as clean as you say it
is. The time consuming parts are the malware scans for most people, yours
would have been the permissions fix.

> Thanks.
> If it is a simple case of the errant file was somehow corrupted in
> the update download, and I can

Seems incomplete?

At least do these parts:

[...]

Shenan,

Yes, it worked. 6 hours, but it worked.

A couple questions if I may:

1. Why CTRL+click when selecting optiosn on the WIndows Update page.
2. Why navigate to the WIndows Update page instead of using the Help &
Support option off START?

And now a general question- why did this happen? I'd thgink that by using
the WIndows Update center, and successfully updating to SP2, and following
all the instructions presented durign the Windows Update session, it should
have worked.

After reading PA Bear's links (thanks for the links and response!) and
seeing what the apparent cause of this was, I decided to follow your
procedure, in the hopes that if permissions were corrupted/wrong for one
directory, then there could be other problems lurking.

A suggestion- your instructions and procedure were flawless. A note here
and there as to WHY we're doign things would be extremely helpful (at least
to me- engineer).

Thanks for your help!

Dellphinus wrote:
> Shenan,
>
> Yes, it worked. 6 hours, but it worked.
>
> A couple questions if I may:
>
> 1. Why CTRL+click when selecting optiosn on the WIndows Update
> page.

Avoid pop-up blocker issues (bypass most of them.)

> 2. Why navigate to the WIndows Update page instead of using the
> Help & Support option off START?

Not everyone may still have that option, everyone can still type in the web
page address in Windows XP.

> And now a general question- why did this happen? I'd thgink that
> by using the WIndows Update center, and successfully updating to
> SP2, and following all the instructions presented durign the
> Windows Update session, it should have worked.

Something was not done correctly and/or something messed with your system
permissions. What that something is depends on every action you ever took
on this computer since the installation of Windows XP.

> After reading PA Bear's links (thanks for the links and response!)
> and seeing what the apparent cause of this was, I decided to follow
> your procedure, in the hopes that if permissions were
> corrupted/wrong for one directory, then there could be other
> problems lurking.
>
> A suggestion- your instructions and procedure were flawless. A
> note here and there as to WHY we're doign things would be extremely
> helpful (at least to me- engineer).

You are doing them because you did not give enough specifics to be sure of
any one cause - you clean up every possibility you end up fixing your
current issue and perhaps even some you did not know you have. Most people
find their computer runs better/faster after following the steps laid out.
;-)

> Thanks for your help!

No problem.

--