Un-expiring an update

Glen

Un-expiring an update
I have a Windows update that shows up as expired. Specifically it is the
group policy extension for Windows XP.

I would still like to push this updates to clients. I may have mistakenly
declined this update, I'm not sure but I still want to push it.

Is there a way to un-expire an update and push it down? What can I do if I
mistakenly expire an update?

Thank you.

Re: Un-expiring an update
[[ Right pew, wrong church - Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP ]]

Glen wrote:
> I have a Windows update that shows up as expired. Specifically it is the
> group policy extension for Windows XP.
>
> I would still like to push this updates to clients. I may have mistakenly
> declined this update, I'm not sure but I still want to push it.
>
> Is there a way to un-expire an update and push it down? What can I do if
> mistakenly expire an update?
>
> Thank you.

Glen

Re: Un-expiring an update
Can you provide a direct link to that newsgroup? I get a 'group not found'
error.

Thank you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [[ Right pew, wrong church - Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
> convenience to OP ]]
>
> Glen wrote:
> > I have a Windows update that shows up as expired. Specifically it is the
> > group policy extension for Windows XP.
> >
> > I would still like to push this updates to clients. I may have mistakenly
> > declined this update, I'm not sure but I still want to push it.
> >
> > Is there a way to un-expire an update and push it down? What can I do if
> > mistakenly expire an update?
> >
> > Thank you.

> .

Shenan Stanley

Re: Un-expiring an update
Glen wrote:
> Can you provide a direct link to that newsgroup? I get a 'group
> not found' error.

http://www.google.com/search?q=where...ices+newsgroup

You even posted to it. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Re: Un-expiring an update
> Glen wrote:

>> Is there a way to un-expire an update and push it down?

No.

>> What can I do if I mistakenly expire an update?

You cannot *expire* an update; only Microsoft can *expire* an update.

Perhaps the term you meant to use is *decline*? Please clarify your
question.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA

Re: Un-expiring an update
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

Glen wrote:
> Can you provide a direct link to that newsgroup? I get a 'group not
> found'
> error.
>
> Thank you.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [[ Right pew, wrong church - Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
>> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
>> convenience to OP ]]
>>
>> Glen wrote:
>>> I have a Windows update that shows up as expired. Specifically it is
>>> the
>>> group policy extension for Windows XP.
>>>
>>> I would still like to push this updates to clients. I may have
>>> mistakenly
>>> declined this update, I'm not sure but I still want to push it.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to un-expire an update and push it down? What can I do
>>> if
>>> mistakenly expire an update?
>>>
>>> Thank you.

>> .

Glen

Re: Un-expiring an update
I didn't decline it. It shows as expired and says it is recommended that I
decline it. It is the update for group policy extensions for XP clients. If
it is expired, I assume it must have been supersceded by another update.

Thank you for the clarifications.

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

> > Glen wrote:

> >> Is there a way to un-expire an update and push it down?

> No.
>
> >> What can I do if I mistakenly expire an update?

> You cannot *expire* an update; only Microsoft can *expire* an update.
>
> Perhaps the term you meant to use is *decline*? Please clarify your
> question.
>

> --
> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
>
> My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
> Microsoft WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Un-expiring an update
On 2010-02-09 11:30 a.m., Glen wrote:

> I didn't decline it. It shows as expired and says it is recommended that I
> decline it. It is the update for group policy extensions for XP clients. If
> it is expired, I assume it must have been supersceded by another update.

For the record, you can effectively un-expire an update by explicitly approving
an earlier revision. However, you almost certainly shouldn't - if you ever
think you need to, check with an expert first. :-)

Harry.

--
"I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only
foil by upgrading the passengers to first class and giving them free drinks."
Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Re: Un-expiring an update
"Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I didn't decline it. It shows as expired and says it is recommended that I
> decline it. It is the update for group policy extensions for XP clients.
> If
> it is expired, I assume it must have been supersceded by another update.

Nope.

*Expired* updates are usually indications that REVISIONS have been
published.

Look in the revision history for that update.

Superceding updates are published as an entirely new package, and rarely
involve expiring a superceded package
(unless the superceded package is so defective or dysfunctional that it is
dangerous to deploy to a system).

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA