unable to update KB977074

Karnal

unable to update KB977074
hi,

my computer dosen't get the automatic update for Windows 7- KB977074
I tries to install and after restarting it installs upto 67% and fails to
complete.
I tried manual installation,that wouldnt help.
any other solution to fix this?
Thanks,
Eric

Re: unable to update KB977074
Find the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and see if you can find the error code for this KB.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...pdate-KB977074
ComCool

RE: unable to update KB977074
I have the same problem...

"Karnal" wrote:

> hi,
>
> my computer dosen't get the automatic update for Windows 7- KB977074
> I tries to install and after restarting it installs upto 67% and fails to
> complete.
> I tried manual installation,that wouldnt help.
> any other solution to fix this?
> Thanks,

MowGreen

Re: unable to update KB977074
An update is available to improve the stability and the reliability of
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977074

If an update to improve stability and reliability can't be installed
then your system is stable and reliable, right ? If none of the symptoms
that are shown in the KB article are occurring on your system then
suggest that you Hide the update.

KB977074 and KB974431 were pushed out by MS in response to feedback
Users have submitted via the "Customer Experience Improvement Program",
aka CEIP.

If you want to participate, CEIP can be accessed via Control Panel >
Action Center > Change Action Center settings > Related settings
The 2 settings are " Yes, I want to participate .. "
and " No, I don't want to participate ... "

Easy squeezy, no ? <g>

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Karnal wrote:
> hi,
>
> my computer dosen't get the automatic update for Windows 7- KB977074
> I tries to install and after restarting it installs upto 67% and fails to
> complete.
> I tried manual installation,that wouldnt help.
> any other solution to fix this?
> Thanks,

Eric

Re: unable to update KB977074
If you're up to it you can find the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and see if you can find the error code for this KB.

The easiest way to do this is try installing the package, note the time that the failure occurs and find it in the log entry base on the timestamp in the log.

You have to be an admin to open this file. You can do that by finding notepad on the start menu, right click on it and select "Run as administrator". Then open the log file with notepad.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...pdate-KB977074
MowGreen

Re: unable to update KB977074
Why deal with a log file that is cumbersome in size and needs to be
copied just to be viewed ? The WindowsUpdate.log is more suitable unless
it specifically points to an issue with CBS.
Plus, this "stability and reliability" update need *not* be installed on
systems that are not experiencing the issues described here:

An update is available to improve the stability and the reliability of
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977074

Eric ... See this TechNet article for the different uses of the
WindowsUpdate.log and the CBS.log:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...0).aspx#BKMK_D

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Eric wrote:
> If you're up to it you can find the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and see if you can find the error code for this KB.
>
> The easiest way to do this is try installing the package, note the time that the failure occurs and find it in the log entry base on the timestamp in the log.
>
> You have to be an admin to open this file. You can do that by finding notepad on the start menu, right click on it and select "Run as administrator". Then open the log file with notepad.
>
> ---

Eric

Re: unable to update KB977074
That's a great article. Thanks.

I'd still like to know why the package is failing to install.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public...pdate-KB977074
MowGreen

Re: unable to update KB977074
YW. As to KB977074 failing to install ... my guesses are
1) some people have hacked their systems so it can pass Validation
2) KB974431 needs to be installed *by itself* and prior to KB977074
being installed
3) reliability and stability updates are based on data gathered by MS
via the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). It is feasible
that such data is not applicable to all systems. Reliability and
stability updates should be applied judiciously, eg. *only* on systems
were the issues take place that are mentioned in the KB article