Re: Windows Update error: 8024402F

Mark SBS

Re: Windows Update error: 8024402F
After hours of searching the web and testing everything on 5 vista business
machines i found this comment and would you beleive it it was my router also!
Good man for posting your findings.

"Daniel Brown" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > 2. Click the General tab, click Clear History in the History area, and
> > > then click OK in the dialog box that appears.
> > >
> > > 3. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete Files and then
> > > click OK.
> > > Note: If you select the item "Delete all offline content", this will
> > > delete all the files which are needed to browse the Internet website
> > > when you are offline.
> > >
> > > 4. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete Cookies, and then
> > > click OK in the dialog box that appears.
> > >
> > > Note: Removing these files will remove automatic login information
> > > which is stored within these files that allow you to login to Internet
> > > sites, so be sure that you have this recorded or written down somewhere
> > > else if you are concerned about this.
> > >
> > > 5. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Settings button, and
> > > click View Objects button.
> > >
> > > 6. Delete all the files.
> > >
> > > 7. Close all the files and reboot the computer to check the issue
> > > again.
> > >
> > > Step 2: Use Ad-aware to remove spyware.
> > > ==========
> > > 1. Download and install Ad-Aware from this page:
> > > http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/
> > >
> > > 2. Click Start -> All Programs -> "Lavasoft Ad-aware SE Personal" ->
> > > "Ad-Aware SE Personal" to start Ad-Aware.
> > > (Note: If there is a popup box asking whether or not check definition
> > > update, please click OK and click Connect. Click OK to download and
> > > install the latest definition, and then click Finish.)
> > >
> > > 3. Click the Start button in the Ad-Aware window, and then click Next
> > > to start the scan.
> > > 4. After the scan is finished, click Next, click the check boxes on the
> > > "Critical Objects" tab to select them, click Next, and the click OK to
> > > confirm the removal.
> > >
> > > The third-party products discussed above are manufactured by companies
> > > that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied
> > > or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these
> > > products.
> > >
> > > Step 3: Disable the software that can affect Windows Update.
> > > =========================
> > > The local Windows Update engine can be affected by some third party
> > > programs.
> > >
> > > Please temporarily disable all antivirus components, Web Trap component
> > > of PC-cillin, Surfin Guard Pro, download accelerators/enhancements,
> > > Download Accelerator Plus, spyware applications and other similar
> > > programs.
> > >
> > > Step 4: Reinstall Windows Update Engine
> > > =====================
> > > Please download and install the latest Windows Update Engine with the
> > > following link.
> > > http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6...gent20-x86.exe
> > >

> > > The link didn't work for me on the machine I'm having problems with -
> > > had to grab it from a different machine and copy it over. This server
> > > isn't supposed to go into production for another week, I'll probably

MowGreen

Re: Windows Update error: 8024402F
Wow, your router is what caused the updating issue on Daniel Brown's
system ? That's some *mighty powerful* router you have.

MowGreen
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com