Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226

tandemrider is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226
Hi everybody - help wanted from a complete dunce pls - my Dell Laptop downloaded Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 early October 2009 - the update history indicated that is was successfully downloaded !

However, since then my PC has refused to download any further updates and always shows the message "Windows could not search for new updates" and shows the Error message "Code 80072EFE".

I have tried to remove Windows Update Agent to then try and reinstall, but it does not appear on the list of programs that can be removed - I have tried to do a manual install of WUA but always meet the same error message on the Windows Update screen.

Grateful for any solutions that will enable me to restore my WU system to normal so that I can obtain the necessary security updates.
Many thanks
Tandemrider

PS - I hope that this is the right place for this question !
MowGreen

Re: Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226
0x80072EFE ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_ABORTED

Either security software has interfered with the proper registration of
an updating file when the latest release of the WUA was installed or is
interfering with the updating component that communicates with the
update servers.

What is the installed AV/security suite; is a 3rd party firewall being
used in place of the native Windows firewall; and, * which edition of
Windows * ; what Service Pack level is the system running ?

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use
Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

tandemrider wrote:
> Hi everybody - help wanted from a complete dunce pls - my Dell Laptop
> downloaded Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 early October 2009 - the
> update history indicated that is was successfully downloaded !
>
> However, since then my PC has refused to download any further updates
> and always shows the message "Windows could not search for new updates"
> and shows the Error message "Code 80072EFE".
>
> I have tried to remove Windows Update Agent to then try and reinstall,
> but it does not appear on the list of programs that can be removed - I
> have tried to do a manual install of WUA but always meet the same error
> message on the Windows Update screen.
>
> Grateful for any solutions that will enable me to restore my WU system
> to normal so that I can obtain the necessary security updates.
> Many thanks
> Tandemrider
>
> PS - I hope that this is the right place for this question !

tandemrider is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowGreen View Post

tandemrider wrote:
> Hi everybody - help wanted from a complete dunce pls - my Dell Laptop
> downloaded Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 early October 2009 - the
> update history indicated that is was successfully downloaded !
>
> However, since then my PC has refused to download any further updates
> and always shows the message "Windows could not search for new updates"
> and shows the Error message "Code 80072EFE".
>
> I have tried to remove Windows Update Agent to then try and reinstall,
> but it does not appear on the list of programs that can be removed - I
> have tried to do a manual install of WUA but always meet the same error
> message on the Windows Update screen.
>
> Grateful for any solutions that will enable me to restore my WU system
> to normal so that I can obtain the necessary security updates.
> Many thanks
> Tandemrider
>
> PS - I hope that this is the right place for this question !

Thanks for your response. Here are the answers to your questions:

I use AVG Free as my AV suite.
The Firewall is provided by my Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless Router.
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.
.... and Service Pack 2.

Again thanks for your assistance with this.
Colin

tandemrider is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226
Just found the following info on my PC which might help:

Product
Host Process for Windows Services

Problem
Windows Update installation problem

Date
05/03/2010 18:18

Status
Not Reported

Description
A Windows update did not install properly. Sending the following information to Microsoft can help improve the software.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure
ClientVersion: 7.4.7600.226
Win32HResult: 80072efe
UpdateId: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Scenario: Scan
SourceId: 101
Environment: Unmanaged
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3