Windows Update for XP stuck at installing 1 of 42

pdpjen

Windows Update for XP stuck at installing 1 of 42
For several months I've not been able to successfully install any Windows
updates. It seems the updates automatically download fine, but then lock up
in the installation stage when I shut down my pc. Also, when I try to
download the updates using the MS website after the updates are downloaded I
get an error stating the installation was unsuccessful and that I need to
wait until the Auto Updates are complete. Problem is, the auto updates keep
hanging as mentioned and I have to reboot my system...hence 42 updates still
not installed.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update for XP stuck at installing 1 of 42
pdpjen wrote:
> For several months I've not been able to successfully install any
> Windows updates. It seems the updates automatically download fine,
> but then lock up in the installation stage when I shut down my pc.
> Also, when I try to download the updates using the MS website after
> the updates are downloaded I get an error stating the installation
> was unsuccessful and that I need to wait until the Auto Updates are
> complete. Problem is, the auto updates keep hanging as mentioned
> and I have to reboot my system...hence 42 updates still not
> installed

Windows XP ______ Edition with Service Pack _, __-bit?

Assuming some 32-bit, any edition, with SP2 or greater version of Windows
XP...

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you should already have SP3, but if not,
now is not the time.

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up. No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files. It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about. But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Reboot.

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

pdpjen

Re: Windows Update for XP stuck at installing 1 of 42
Hello and many thanks!!!

Time consuming, but worth it...so far I've gotten thru about 15 or so
updates. I'll let you know if I'm successful installing them all.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> time. Rebooting as needed.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
> "Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
> Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
> install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
> step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
> until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
> you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
> through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
> and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.
>
> Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if

pdpjen

Re: Windows Update for XP stuck at installing 1 of 42
Also, to answer your question...Windows XP ______ Edition with Service Pack
_, __-bit?

Windows XP Professionl 2002 with Service Pack 3. I think 32bit, but not sure
how to verify that.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> time. Rebooting as needed.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
> "Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
> Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to
> install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
> step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
> until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
> you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
> through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
> and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.
>
> Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if

pdpjen

Re: Windows Update for XP stuck at installing 1 of 42
A small snag...last night I had some success with 26 updates. However, my
system hung up when updating a series of 5 updates. I shut off my pc and
thought to try again today. Unfortunately, I'm back to the same problem,
getting an error that says I need to wait until Auto Update is finished
installing updates. It seems my problem is related to shutting down my pc
while Auto Update is stuck installing...

pdpjen wrote:
> A small snag...last night I had some success with 26 updates.
> However, my system hung up when updating a series of 5 updates. I
> shut off my pc and thought to try again today. Unfortunately, I'm
> back to the same problem, getting an error that says I need to wait
> until Auto Update is finished installing updates. It seems my
> problem is related to shutting down my pc while Auto Update is
> stuck installing...

If it gets stuck like that and you have gone through the entire list - try
just this part...

[...]

ronnie