Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing

Janice L

Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it keeps
appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen times. All
installations show in my update history. I have tried to troubleshoot this
myself...I have run numerous OneCare Scans...IT KEEPS APPEARING...HELP ME
PLEASE.

This is an important Security Update that I would like to know has been
installed properly. As I am writing this, the icon is there once again
telling me to install it.

Re: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect KB960859 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)
www.banthecheck.com

Janice L wrote:
> I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it
> keeps appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen
> times. All installations show in my update history. I have tried to
> troubleshoot this myself...I have run numerous OneCare Scans...IT KEEPS
> APPEARING...HELP ME PLEASE.
>
> This is an important Security Update that I would like to know has been
> installed properly. As I am writing this, the icon is there once again
> telling me to install it.

Janice L

RE: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
Hi PA Bear,

Thank you so very much for your reply. I did what you suggested but what I
forgot to mention was that even though my Update History was telling me that
this had been installed NUMEROUS times...when I went into my Control Panel
Add/Remove...the Update was not there. Does this mean that it never installed
in the first place eventhough it was saying that it did? If so, what should I
do?

This Update is extremely important since it states..."A security issue has
been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to
compromise your system and gain control over it".

I appreciate any help you can steer my way!

Janice L

"Janice L" wrote:

> I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it keeps
> appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen times. All
> installations show in my update history. I have tried to troubleshoot this
> myself...I have run numerous OneCare Scans...IT KEEPS APPEARING...HELP ME
> PLEASE.
>
> This is an important Security Update that I would like to know has been
> installed properly. As I am writing this, the icon is there once again
> telling me to install it.

Re: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
[Please reply to my posts, not yours.]

Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the SHOW UPDATES box at the top is
checked: Do you find the update listed now?

Is it listed in the Update History section at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

Janice L wrote:
> Hi PA Bear,
>
> Thank you so very much for your reply. I did what you suggested but what I
> forgot to mention was that even though my Update History was telling me
> that
> this had been installed NUMEROUS times...when I went into my Control Panel
> Add/Remove...the Update was not there. Does this mean that it never
> installed in the first place eventhough it was saying that it did? If so,
> what should I do?
>
> This Update is extremely important since it states..."A security issue has
> been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to
> compromise your system and gain control over it".
>
> I appreciate any help you can steer my way!

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB960859 and hide it ("Don't show me this
> update
> again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>
> Janice L wrote:
>> I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it
>> keeps appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen
>> times. All installations show in my update history. I have tried to
>> troubleshoot this myself...I have run numerous OneCare Scans...IT KEEPS
>> APPEARING...HELP ME PLEASE.
>>
>> This is an important Security Update that I would like to know has been
>> installed properly. As I am writing this, the icon is there once again
>> telling me to install it.

Janice L

Re: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
The update is listed and was installed on 13/08/2009 and is listed in the
Update History section of windowsupdate.microsoft.com numerous times.

Should I go to Add/Remove Programs, remove the update, reinstall it or just
leave it hidden? Thank you once again for your help!

Janice L

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Please reply to my posts, not yours.]
>
> Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the SHOW UPDATES box at the top is
> checked: Do you find the update listed now?
>
> Is it listed in the Update History section at
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
>

> Janice L wrote:
> > Hi PA Bear,
> >
> > Thank you so very much for your reply. I did what you suggested but what I
> > forgot to mention was that even though my Update History was telling me
> > that
> > this had been installed NUMEROUS times...when I went into my Control Panel
> > Add/Remove...the Update was not there. Does this mean that it never
> > installed in the first place eventhough it was saying that it did? If so,
> > what should I do?
> >
> > This Update is extremely important since it states..."A security issue has
> > been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to
> > compromise your system and gain control over it".
> >
> > I appreciate any help you can steer my way!

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> > 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
> >
> > Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> > Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> > (Stopping the service will take a moment)
> >
> > 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
> >
> > Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> > Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> > Close the window.
> >
> > 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> > complete | Uncheck/deselect KB960859 and hide it ("Don't show me this
> > update
> > again").
> >
> > 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
> >
> > Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> > Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> > (Starting the service will take a moment)
> >
> > Janice L wrote:
> >> I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it
> >> keeps appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen
> >> times. All installations show in my update history. I have tried to
> >> troubleshoot this myself...I have run numerous OneCare Scans...IT KEEPS
> >> APPEARING...HELP ME PLEASE.
> >>
> >> This is an important Security Update that I would like to know has been
> >> installed properly. As I am writing this, the icon is there once again
> >> telling me to install it.

> .

Re: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
Just leave it hidden & move on, Janice.

Happy Holly-daze!

Janice L wrote:
> The update is listed and was installed on 13/08/2009 and is listed in the
> Update History section of windowsupdate.microsoft.com numerous times.
>
> Should I go to Add/Remove Programs, remove the update, reinstall it or
> just
> leave it hidden? Thank you once again for your help!
>
> Janice L
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Please reply to my posts, not yours.]
>>
>> Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the SHOW UPDATES box at the top is
>> checked: Do you find the update listed now?
>>
>> Is it listed in the Update History section at
>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
>>

>> Janice L wrote:
>>> Hi PA Bear,
>>>
>>> Thank you so very much for your reply. I did what you suggested but what
>>> forgot to mention was that even though my Update History was telling me
>>> that
>>> this had been installed NUMEROUS times...when I went into my Control
>>> Panel
>>> Add/Remove...the Update was not there. Does this mean that it never
>>> installed in the first place eventhough it was saying that it did? If
>>> so,
>>> what should I do?
>>>
>>> This Update is extremely important since it states..."A security issue
>>> has
>>> been identified that could allow an authenticated remote attacker to
>>> compromise your system and gain control over it".
>>>
>>> I appreciate any help you can steer my way!

>> <paste>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>>
>>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>>>
>>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>>
>>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>>> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>>> Close the window.
>>>
>>> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
>>> complete | Uncheck/deselect KB960859 and hide it ("Don't show me this
>>> update
>>> again").
>>>
>>> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>>
>>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>>> (Starting the service will take a moment)

>> .

Ottmar Freudenberger

"Janice L" <Janice L @discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it keeps
> appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen times.

Any indications in the "KB960859.log" file to be found in the Windows folder?

Which version is shown in the properties of "telnet.exe" and which one for
the "tlntsess.exe" in the Windows\System32 folder *and* in the folder named
"\Windows\System32\DLLcache"?

Do you have KB968389 installed too on your Windows XP system?

Bye,
Freudi
Janice L

Re: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
Thanks and all the best in 2010!

JLS

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Just leave it hidden & move on, Janice.
>
> Happy Holly-daze!
>

> Janice L wrote:
> > The update is listed and was installed on 13/08/2009 and is listed in the
> > Update History section of windowsupdate.microsoft.com numerous times.
> >
> > Should I go to Add/Remove Programs, remove the update, reinstall it or
> > just
> > leave it hidden? Thank you once again for your help!
> >
> > Janice L
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Please reply to my posts, not yours.]
> >>
> >> Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the SHOW UPDATES box at the top is
> >> checked: Do you find the update listed now?
> >>
> >> Is it listed in the Update History section at
> >> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

> >> <paste>

> >> .

> .

Janice L

Re: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
Hi Freudi,

Yes KB968389 installed on 10/22/2009

"Ottmar Freudenberger" wrote:

> "Janice L" <Janice L @discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
> > I have been having a real problem with Windows XP Update KB960859... it keeps
> > appearing when I have successfully installed it well over a dozen times.

> Any indications in the "KB960859.log" file to be found in the Windows folder?
>
> Which version is shown in the properties of "telnet.exe" and which one for
> the "tlntsess.exe" in the Windows\System32 folder *and* in the folder named
> "\Windows\System32\DLLcache"?
>
> Do you have KB968389 installed too on your Windows XP system?
>
> Bye,
> Freudi
> .

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Windows XP Security Update KB960859 Keeps Appearing
"Janice L" <JaniceL@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Yes KB968389 installed on 10/22/2009

Fine. And what about answering the other questions regarind KB960859.log
and the file versions of telnet.exe and telntsess.exe in *both* folders
(\Windows\System32 *and* \Windows\System32\Dllcache)?

Bye,
Freudi