Is There an Aministrator in the House?

Steve Young

Is There an Aministrator in the House?
I'd like to update Windows Vista

Re: Is There an Aministrator in the House?
Update your computer automatically
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...ticupdate.mspx

Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...pdate/FAQ.mspx

Automatic Updates in Vista
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...dowsvista.mspx

=> Excellent Vista tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

================

How do I reset the Windows Update settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

================

Need help? Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
www.banthecheck.com

Steve Young wrote:
> I'd like to update Windows Vista

Shenan Stanley

Steve Young wrote:
> I'd like to update Windows Vista

"Administrator" you mean?

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

32 or 64-bit?

What exactly are you seeing and how are you trying to accomplish whatever
you are trying to accomplish?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Peter Foldes

Re: Is There an Aministrator in the House?
Steve

Is it asking you to contact your Administrator? Then sign in as the Administrator

User Name: Administrator
Password: Leave it Blank

--
Peter

> Steve Young wrote:
>> I'd like to update Windows Vista

> "Administrator" you mean?
>
> Start button --> RUN
> (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
> --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
> (Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
> "version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
> to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
> character-for-character copying.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Version 6 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

> What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
> out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
> the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
> (just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
> pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
> the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
> you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Veraion:7.0.6001.18000

> 32 or 64-bit?

32 bit OS

> What exactly are you seeing and how are you trying to accomplish whatever
> you are trying to accomplish?

I posted this yesterday when I knew how to spell administrator

"I just completed many updates from the Windows update site. With
several non critical ones left, I went back to finish. Now I can't download
/ install because it says I need Administrator permission. I checked user
accounts and of course there is only one account listed and it being
administrator, which I'm logged in on. I tried changing the account and it
recognizes me as an administrator and allowed me to make changes.
Applications requiring administrator work just fine but the update site
does not As per an earlier post I read here, I ran Update Agent 3,
still no joy. How can I regain update site permission?"

Everything on the computer works dandy, but essentially, I'm locked out
of downloading from your Windows update site.

Thanks for any help.

Steve Young

> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Opinicus

Re: Is There an Aministrator in the House?
"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote

> Password: Leave it Blank

An interesting pwd. I must try that sometime...
;-)

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Steve Young

> Steve
>
> Is it asking you to contact your Administrator?

Yes, when I click 'Install Updates' at your update site, here's exactly what
it says:

You need to provide administrator permission.

To complete this task, you need to log on as an administrator or ask an
administrator to complete the task for you.

(I must not be a very good administrator, that's why I asked for one here

> Then sign in as the Administrator
>
> User Name: Administrator
> Password: Leave it Blank

I wish I could, but at that point there isn't any option, just a cancel
button.

Perhaps I should share with a second user, create a new administrator
account, then use that account only to download updates, if that would work?
Am I suffering the ravages of a hard used, war tattered operating system?

Do this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Thanks for your reply.

I finally had the time to read the info posted and try the fix you
suggested.

I ran the auto fix in the default mode and it did not repair the problem.

Here's when the problem initially began. I was tricked by the update site
when I was in optional updates, I had selected several to install. What I
didn't realize, is that Explorer 8 was automatically checked in the critical
updates, even though I wasn't there. I was surprised as it was installing
the non-critical updates, I was asked permission to also install Internet
Explorer 8. I declined and the remainder of the process aborted. I went back
to the update site and I no longer had the required permission.

So what should I do? Try the aggressive mode?

(Perhaps count my blessings that I wasn't locked out a year sooner?

Thanks for any help

Steve Young