My comp cuts off every 15 minutes after I install "important" upda

miked9746

My comp cuts off every 15 minutes after I install "important" upda
I know that there may be 1000 people on here who have already asked this
question, but in my case, I don't have the time to search for that answer.
The reason I don't have time is this... For about the past 5 years, I have
owned 3 different comps, and have had XP or Vista running on them. Every
time I install the updates for my system, or I let the system update
automatically, every 15 min. after the updates take effect,WITHOUT FAIL, my
computer restarts itself!! I will then go into the control panel and
completely reset my comp back to the last checkpoint that was made before the
auto update. I have tried every single thing conceivable to remedy this! I
am by no means computer illiterate, but this is killing me here!! So now, I
never allow my computer to update, and that keeps my computer on when I need
it to be. My wife's family has a friend, that's an IT guy, that sets up the
comp networks for large businesses. This guy's entire life is dedicated to
setting up, and maintaining large comp networks, and when he came to my home
and I showed him the whole process, he had no idea what was causing it. He
went so far as to take my comp for 4 days, back to his home to figure it out
and he couldn't!! So I'm hoping there is someone on this website that knows
more than him, and can give me some type of solution for this problem, or can
at least tell me I'm out of luck and never install updates on my computer!!
hahaha Thanks!!!!!!!!
Shenan Stanley

Re: My comp cuts off every 15 minutes after I install "important" upda
miked9746 wrote:
> I know that there may be 1000 people on here who have already
> asked this question, but in my case, I don't have the time to
> search for that answer. The reason I don't have time is this...
> For about the past 5 years, I have owned 3 different comps, and
> have had XP or Vista running on them. Every time I install the
> updates for my system, or I let the system update automatically,
> every 15 min. after the updates take effect,WITHOUT FAIL, my
> computer restarts itself!! I will then go into the control panel
> and completely reset my comp back to the last checkpoint that was
> made before the auto update. I have tried every single thing
> conceivable to remedy this! I am by no means computer illiterate,
> but this is killing me here!! So now, I never allow my computer to
> update, and that keeps my computer on when I need it to be. My
> wife's family has a friend, that's an IT guy, that sets up the comp
> networks for large businesses. This guy's entire life is dedicated
> to setting up, and maintaining large comp networks, and when he
> came to my home and I showed him the whole process, he had no idea
> what was causing it. He went so far as to take my comp for 4
> days, back to his home to figure it out and he couldn't!! So I'm
> hoping there is someone on this website that knows more than him,
> and can give me some type of solution for this problem, or can at
> least tell me I'm out of luck and never install updates on my
> computer!! hahaha Thanks!!!!!!!!

Did it do it for him? You said he brought it back home with him for 4
days... Did it do it while at his home?

Since this (as far as I can tell) is physically a different computer than
the others you said did the same thing - then one could all but eliminate
hardware.

Which one is it this time? Vista or XP?

Give some information - then perhaps people here can assist in
troubleshooting...

If Windows XP:

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears. When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

If Windows Vista:

Right-click on the "Computer" icon (wherever you find it) and choose
Properties. When the new window appears - ensure you are under the
"General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you have a 64-bit
version of Windows Vista, like the words, something about 64-bit?

Next we will get the edition and version information...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Let's look at your copy/license of Windows XP now - validate it if you
will. Visit the following web site in Internet Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
and locate/click on the "Start Diagnostics" blue button on the left side
of the web page. Does everything pass? If not - what are the diagnostic
steps they have you go through?

Next, download/run:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either Run or Save the tool. Choose to Run the
tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an Internet
Explorer-Security Warning dialog box for the Windows Genuine Advantage
Diagnostic Tool; you must choose to Run this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose Continue to run
the diagnostic report. If the RESOLVE button is available after running
the diagnostics, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to
attempt a repair.

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the Windows tab and
then click on Copy.
2. Please return to this post and paste the results here for additional
review.

Also - might as well get some hardware information (print these results for
yourself.) Use Belarc Advisor (free) to get a good list of hardware. What
most here will want to know is name brand (stamped on the outside of your
computer/where you bought it) and model number along with processor
speed/type, amount of system memory/RAM and hard disk drive size
(specifically the C drive total and free space numbers.) The rest is just
good information for you to have around and/or to use to get the most
current hardware device drivers when necessary.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: My comp cuts off every 15 minutes after I install "important" upda
And our time is less valuable than yours? Take a hike, buster. While
you're out there, you can...

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

PS: Also see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial118.html

miked9746 wrote:
> I know that there may be 1000 people on here who have already asked this
> question, but in my case, I don't have the time to search for that answer.
> The reason I don't have time is this... For about the past 5 years, I
> have
> owned 3 different comps, and have had XP or Vista running on them. Every
> time I install the updates for my system, or I let the system update
> automatically, every 15 min. after the updates take effect,WITHOUT FAIL,
> my
> computer restarts itself!! I will then go into the control panel and
> completely reset my comp back to the last checkpoint that was made before
> the auto update. I have tried every single thing conceivable to remedy
> this! I am by no means computer illiterate, but this is killing me here!!
> So now, I never allow my computer to update, and that keeps my computer on
> when I need it to be. My wife's family has a friend, that's an IT guy,
> that
> sets up the comp networks for large businesses. This guy's entire life is
> dedicated to setting up, and maintaining large comp networks, and when he
> came to my home and I showed him the whole process, he had no idea what
> was
> causing it. He went so far as to take my comp for 4 days, back to his
> home to figure it out and he couldn't!! So I'm hoping there is someone
> on
> this website that knows more than him, and can give me some type of
> solution for this problem, or can at least tell me I'm out of luck and
> never install updates on my computer!! hahaha Thanks!!!!!!!!

davexnet

"miked9746" <miked9746@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know that there may be 1000 people on here who have already asked this
> question, but in my case, I don't have the time to search for that answer.
> The reason I don't have time is this... For about the past 5 years, I

have
> owned 3 different comps, and have had XP or Vista running on them. Every
> time I install the updates for my system, or I let the system update
> automatically, every 15 min. after the updates take effect,WITHOUT FAIL,

my
> computer restarts itself!! I will then go into the control panel and
> completely reset my comp back to the last checkpoint that was made before

the
> auto update. I have tried every single thing conceivable to remedy this!

> am by no means computer illiterate, but this is killing me here!! So now,

> never allow my computer to update, and that keeps my computer on when I

need
> it to be. My wife's family has a friend, that's an IT guy, that sets up

the
> comp networks for large businesses. This guy's entire life is dedicated

> setting up, and maintaining large comp networks, and when he came to my

home
> and I showed him the whole process, he had no idea what was causing it.

He
> went so far as to take my comp for 4 days, back to his home to figure it

out
> and he couldn't!! So I'm hoping there is someone on this website that

knows
> more than him, and can give me some type of solution for this problem, or

can
> at least tell me I'm out of luck and never install updates on my

computer!!
> hahaha Thanks!!!!!!!!

Is it possible there is a scheduled task (rogue or otherwise)
that's causing this ? Check scheduled tasks in the control panel.
Second, check application and system messages in the evnt viewer.

(eventvwr.msc from the RUN box)