Error Code: 0x80070005

CWLee

Error Code: 0x80070005

(Running 2000-Pro, SP-4, IE-6, OE-6, classic mode, dial-up.)

Avast AV, up to date.

This computer is used mostly off-line; once a month I go
on-line with it and update the AV and MS programs. When I
did my December on-line update I received error code
0x80070005. The searching I've done so far leads to fixes
for XP or Vista, but not for W-2000.

Ideas?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Ǝиçεl

RE: Error Code: 0x80070005
Hello CWLee,

The 0x80070005 is an access denied message -

One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
running on the computər.

You can try turning them off and then try the updates again.

Keep the fiяewall on though.

If no joy...

See
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=cf02c 973-5fe6-4351-ac5e-52366da78c32&mid=cf02c973-5fe6-4351-ac5e-52366da78c32>

Also, could you supply some information on what your firewall is,
other RTP programs, etc?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
-=-

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"CWLee" wrote:

> (Running 2000-Pro, SP-4, IE-6, OE-6, classic mode, dial-up.)
>
> Avast AV, up to date.
>
> This computer is used mostly off-line; once a month I go
> on-line with it and update the AV and MS programs. When I
> did my December on-line update I received error code
> 0x80070005. The searching I've done so far leads to fixes
> for XP or Vista, but not for W-2000.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.
>

> .

CWLee

Re: Error Code: 0x80070005

"Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
> the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
> running on the computər.
>
> You can try turning them off and then try the updates
> again.

Will try that within 24 hours and get back to the newsgroup.

> Also, could you supply some information on what your
> firewall is,
> other RTP programs, etc?

No firewall, unless there is one as part of Windows-2000.

I don't recognize the acronym "RTP" so I can't answer that
part of your inquiry. Please clarify that for me and I'll
address the issue promptly.

Thanks.

Ǝиçεl

Re: Error Code: 0x80070005
Hi CWLee,

RTP = Real-time protection, continuously runs behind the scenes to scan your
computer, like antivirus, antispyware, and other antimalware programs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_protection

"CWLee" wrote:

> "Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
> > the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
> > running on the computər.
> >
> > You can try turning them off and then try the updates
> > again.

> Will try that within 24 hours and get back to the newsgroup.
>
> > Also, could you supply some information on what your
> > firewall is,
> > other RTP programs, etc?

> No firewall, unless there is one as part of Windows-2000.
>
> I don't recognize the acronym "RTP" so I can't answer that
> part of your inquiry. Please clarify that for me and I'll
> address the issue promptly.
>
> Thanks.
>

> .

CWLee

Re: Error Code: 0x80070005

"Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> RTP = Real-time protection, continuously runs behind the
> scenes to scan your
> computer, like antivirus, antispyware, and other
> antimalware programs.

The system I'm having the problem with has whatever is the
standard part of Windows 2000, professional, plus Avast
antivirus.

Thanks for the clarification.

CWLee

Re: Error Code: 0x80070005

"Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
> the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
> running on the computər.
>
> You can try turning them off and then try the updates
> again.

Earlier I said I'd try that, and report back.

First, I discovered I don't know how to "turn off" my Avast
AV program. I searched, and found no obvious was to turn it
off/on. I did find a "sensitivity" setting for certain
functions, and I was able to lower it to the "not enabled"
level.

Then I tried the update from MS again, and had the same
results as before. Tried it 3 times, same result. So, I
returned to Avast and moved the previously adjusted setting
back to "standard". I tried the update from MS two more
times, with the same unsuccessful result.

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Michael

Re: Error Code: 0x80070005
"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message

> "Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>> One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
>> the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
>> running on the computər.
>>
>> You can try turning them off and then try the updates again.

> Earlier I said I'd try that, and report back.
>
> First, I discovered I don't know how to "turn off" my Avast AV program. I
> searched, and found no obvious was to turn it off/on. I did find a
> "sensitivity" setting for certain functions, and I was able to lower it to
> the "not enabled" level.
>
> Then I tried the update from MS again, and had the same results as before.
> Tried it 3 times, same result. So, I returned to Avast and moved the
> previously adjusted setting back to "standard". I tried the update from
> MS two more times, with the same unsuccessful result.
>
> Other suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Right-click the icon in the task bar and the option to temporarily shut it
down should be there. Another method is to open Task Manager and shut it
down from there.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

CWLee

Re: Error Code: 0x80070005

"Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote

> Right-click the icon in the task bar and the option to
> temporarily shut it down should be there.

If it is, it is not obvious. Menu, top to bottom is:

On-Access Protection Control
Start Avast Antivirus
Avast Log Viewer
Program Settings
Pause Provider > (sub-menu #1 shown below)
Resume Provider (faded)
Stop Provider > (sub-menu #1 shown below)
Updating > (sub-menu #2 shown below)
VRDB > (sub-menu, apparently unrelated, not shown below)
Set/Change Password
Avast Professional Edition Info
Upgrade to Avast Professional Edition
About Avast
Stop On-Access Protection

Sub-menu #1 is:

Internet Mail
Instant Messaging
Network Shield
P2P Shield
Standard Shield
Web Shield

Sub-menu #2 is:

IAVS Update
Program Update

As I checked each of the options above I did not find
anything that clearly said it would turn the AV program off.
Perhaps I did not interpret some wording properly?

> Another method is to open Task Manager and shut it down
> from there.

I also opened Task Manager, but could not find Avast, or an
option to turn it off.

I'm a slow pupil today - sorry. :-(

Further, more detailed, instructions appreciated. Thanks
for your efforts to help me.

I am an old man, but I promise not to kill you. :-)

> "Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote
>
>> Right-click the icon in the task bar and the option to temporarily shut
>> it down should be there.

> If it is, it is not obvious. Menu, top to bottom is:
>
> On-Access Protection Control
> Start Avast Antivirus
> Avast Log Viewer
> Program Settings
> Pause Provider > (sub-menu #1 shown below)
> Resume Provider (faded)
> Stop Provider > (sub-menu #1 shown below)
> Updating > (sub-menu #2 shown below)
> VRDB > (sub-menu, apparently unrelated, not shown below)
> Set/Change Password
> Avast Professional Edition Info
> Upgrade to Avast Professional Edition
> About Avast
> Stop On-Access Protection
>
> Sub-menu #1 is:
>
> Internet Mail
> Instant Messaging
> Network Shield
> P2P Shield
> Standard Shield
> Web Shield
>
> Sub-menu #2 is:
>
> IAVS Update
> Program Update
>
> As I checked each of the options above I did not find anything that
> clearly said it would turn the AV program off. Perhaps I did not interpret
> some wording properly?
>
>> Another method is to open Task Manager and shut it down from there.

> I also opened Task Manager, but could not find Avast, or an option to turn
> it off.
>
> I'm a slow pupil today - sorry. :-(
>
> Further, more detailed, instructions appreciated. Thanks for your efforts
> to help me.
>
> I am an old man, but I promise not to kill you. :-)

CW, I don't use Avast so I'm not familiar with it. What I would suggest,
if you're using the free version, is uninstalling it and installing
Microsoft Security Essentials. Great program that doesn't interfere with
Windows Update.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

CWLee

Closure on Error Code: 0x80070005

I eventually made contact with a tech at MS. His advice
was:

1. Restart the computer, and then see if the problem
persists. If it does, go to step 2.

2. Turn off your AV and firewall protection, and then see
if the problem persists. If it does, go to step 3.

3. Download from MS and run SubInACL.exe, and then see if
the problem persists. If it does go to step 4.

I did not need to go to step 4, since that seems to have
solved my problem. I can now do the updating without the
error message.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions.