Update frequency

Hello,

In the past Windows updates were always the second Tuesday of the month with
an occasional fourth Tuesday update or as they call it (out of band).

I have noticed that this year there are many more out of band updates than I
have ever seen in the past. This starts to get bothersom when you work for a
company that has many small peer to peer networks that does not use a server
as it is unnecessary.

What I mean by the above is if you work for a company with say just 2 to 4
computers at each location and have many locations it is now almost
impossible to finish all the updates in every location before more updates
come out.

The twice monthly are starting to reak havoc on time and travel.

So I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is just an unusual year or
if Microsoft is leaning towards having these bi monthly updates always in
the future.

Thanks

Re: Update frequency
The 24 Nov-09 updates were not out-of-band updates. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

V wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the past Windows updates were always the second Tuesday of the month
> with
> an occasional fourth Tuesday update or as they call it (out of band).
>
> I have noticed that this year there are many more out of band updates than
> have ever seen in the past. This starts to get bothersom when you work for
> company that has many small peer to peer networks that does not use a
> server
> as it is unnecessary.
>
> What I mean by the above is if you work for a company with say just 2 to
> 4
> computers at each location and have many locations it is now almost
> impossible to finish all the updates in every location before more updates
> come out.
>
> The twice monthly are starting to reak havoc on time and travel.
>
> So I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is just an unusual year or
> if Microsoft is leaning towards having these bi monthly updates always in
> the future.
>
> Thanks

Re: Update frequency
Ok is been a crazy year with a lot going on and just noticed how many times
we had a fourth Tuesday update. Reading this article you pointed to it
looks to me like this is going to be on going and probably happen more than
not.

So I guess since time will not allow me to do updates in my situtation twice
a month I will just make it a practice to skip the fourth Tuesday updates
since it appears they will not be security updates and just install them
with the following second Tuesday updates.

> The 24 Nov-09 updates were not out-of-band updates. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199
>
> V wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In the past Windows updates were always the second Tuesday of the month
>> with
>> an occasional fourth Tuesday update or as they call it (out of band).
>>
>> I have noticed that this year there are many more out of band updates
>> than I
>> have ever seen in the past. This starts to get bothersom when you work
>> for a
>> company that has many small peer to peer networks that does not use a
>> server
>> as it is unnecessary.
>>
>> What I mean by the above is if you work for a company with say just 2 to
>> 4
>> computers at each location and have many locations it is now almost
>> impossible to finish all the updates in every location before more
>> updates
>> come out.
>>
>> The twice monthly are starting to reak havoc on time and travel.
>>
>> So I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is just an unusual year
>> or
>> if Microsoft is leaning towards having these bi monthly updates always in
>> the future.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Update frequency
You could always choose an Automatic Updates setting *other than* automatic,
you know?

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

V wrote:
> Ok is been a crazy year with a lot going on and just noticed how many
> times
> we had a fourth Tuesday update. Reading this article you pointed to it
> looks to me like this is going to be on going and probably happen more
> than
> not.
>
> So I guess since time will not allow me to do updates in my situtation
> twice
> a month I will just make it a practice to skip the fourth Tuesday updates
> since it appears they will not be security updates and just install them
> with the following second Tuesday updates.
>
>> The 24 Nov-09 updates were not out-of-band updates. See
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199
>>
>> V wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In the past Windows updates were always the second Tuesday of the month
>>> with
>>> an occasional fourth Tuesday update or as they call it (out of band).
>>>
>>> I have noticed that this year there are many more out of band updates
>>> than I
>>> have ever seen in the past. This starts to get bothersom when you work
>>> for a
>>> company that has many small peer to peer networks that does not use a
>>> server
>>> as it is unnecessary.
>>>
>>> What I mean by the above is if you work for a company with say just 2
>>> 4
>>> computers at each location and have many locations it is now almost
>>> impossible to finish all the updates in every location before more
>>> updates
>>> come out.
>>>
>>> The twice monthly are starting to reak havoc on time and travel.
>>>
>>> So I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is just an unusual year
>>> or
>>> if Microsoft is leaning towards having these bi monthly updates always
>>> in
>>> the future.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Update frequency
V wrote:

> Ok is been a crazy year with a lot going on and just noticed how many times
> we had a fourth Tuesday update. Reading this article you pointed to it
> looks to me like this is going to be on going and probably happen more than
> not.
>
> So I guess since time will not allow me to do updates in my situtation twice
> a month I will just make it a practice to skip the fourth Tuesday updates
> since it appears they will not be security updates and just install them
> with the following second Tuesday updates.

For what it's worth, that's exactly what I do at my workplace.

Harry.