Error code 80070081

Hochigongdao

Error code 80070081
I keep getting the unknown error code 80070081, when I try to check for
updates. Defender updates fine. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit with 8
gigs of ram, AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.20 GHz. I have tried to
access the auto repair feature on Microsoft Support and it will not run. Also
have tried to update the flash. but the GetPlus will not load
either....Please help!
MowGreen

Re: Error code 80070081
> I have tried to access the auto repair feature on Microsoft Support and it will not run.

* Please provide the URL for the above 'auto repair feature'. *

Did you open Internet Explorer by *right* clicking it's shortcut on the
Start Menu and choosing 'Run as administrator' ?

80070081 ERROR_CHILD_NOT_COMPLETE
The %1 application cannot be run in Win32 mode

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Hochigongdao wrote:

> I keep getting the unknown error code 80070081, when I try to check for
> updates. Defender updates fine. I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit with 8
> gigs of ram, AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.20 GHz. I have tried to
> access the auto repair feature on Microsoft Support and it will not run. Also
> have tried to update the flash. but the GetPlus will not load
> either....Please help!

Mohsen Arjomand

RE: Error code 80070081
I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I
will do my best to help you.

This error can be caused by Windows Modules Installer service corrupted, we
may use following way to try to repair this service. If this service still
can’t be repaired and our issue persists, we may back up data on system and
use HP recovery disk to restore system to factory mode, this way can repair
Windows Modules Installer service.

Step 1: Manually replace the corrupt Windows Modules Installer

==================================

Step 1: Change the owner of the Servicing folder

1. Click Start. In the search bar, type in "%windir%" (without the quotation
marks) and press Enter.

2. Right click Servicing folder and click "Properties".

3. Click the Security tab.

4. Click Advanced.

5. Click the Owner tab.

6. Click Edit.

7. Under "Change owner to", highlight the Administrator account. Click on
"Replace Owner on Subcontainers and objects". Click OK.

8. Click OK. You might receive an "Access Deny" error. Just go ahead.

9. In the Security tab of Servicing folder properties, click Edit.

10. Highlight Administrators and grant it "Full Control" permission.

11. Click OK.

Step 2: Manually restore missing file

============================

1. Download and Save the Fix.zip file form
http://www.4shared.com/file/197624120/979be69/fix.html
to the Desktop.

2. Extract the two files. TrustedInstaller.exe and TrustedInstaller.reg.

3. Copy the TrustedInstaller.exe file into C:\Windows\servicing folder.

Step 3: Backup Registry

===================

1. Click Start. Type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Select Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the
File menu, choose All under Export range, select Desktop in the Save in box
and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can
simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

After that, please refer to the following steps to import the register key.

Step 4: Import TrustedInstaller.reg

===========================

1. Double click the TrustedInstaller.reg file in the fix.zip file.

2. Click Yes when you are prompted to import it.

Restart the computer and check if Windows Update works.

lucky723 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Error code 80070081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohsen Arjomand View Post
[...]

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download fix.zip
[...]

I hope that I can be of some help in this matter of error code 80070081. I have an HP notebook PC running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I had it for about 2 months and all of a sudden I was unable to get any Windows updates. . . all I got was the error code. I have done a lot of research on the web and found that others had this same issue. I was on the phone for hours with HP tech support and Microsoft(Microsoft wanted to charge me!) and neither one was able to resolve my issue. Thankfully, my PC was entitled to a free Windows 7 upgrade. I have had the disks for several months but never got around to the installation. Well, today was the day! I installed Windows 7 (as an upgrade-recommended). The installation took about 4 hours, but it was worth it. Now I am able to receive Windows Updates without any problems. Also, I have not encountered any other software issues either. I joined this community just to post this so I hope I was able to help other "techies" out there!