Download Center

Steve

Download Center
I am trying to access the security updates for "All Windows XP." When I
select "Released" to sort then by date I get the following error on the
bottom of the page:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Empty (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6;
..NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
3.5.30729; msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS)
Timestamp: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:08:54 UTC

Message: Object expected
Line: 1
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...ng&stype=ss_sd

I have tried to un-install then re-install the latest Java release for
Windows - no change. I re-installed Internet Explore 8 - no change. I scaned
with Superantispyware - nothing found. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3. Any
answers/suggestions?

Re: Download Center
Your problem has nothing to do with Java, STUPIDAntiSpyware, or IE8 (other
than the fact that you installed the MSN-customized version of IE8 and have
an outdated version of Google Toolbar installed) and everything to do with
an excessively long User Agent string.

Start here http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx or maybe here
http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp

Try "spoofing" IE7 User Agent strings (or uninstall Google Toolbar & the
MSN-customized version of IE8 then do a fresh install of "vanilla" IE8).
www.banthecheck.com

Steve wrote:
> I am trying to access the security updates for "All Windows XP." When I
> select "Released" to sort then by date I get the following error on the
> bottom of the page:
> Webpage error details
>
> User Agent: Empty (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
> GTB6;
> .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
> 3.5.30729; msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS)
> Timestamp: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:08:54 UTC
>

> Message: Object expected
> Line: 1
> Char: 1
> Code: 0
> URI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...ng&stype=ss_sd
>
> I have tried to un-install then re-install the latest Java release for
> Windows - no change. I re-installed Internet Explore 8 - no change. I
> scaned
> with Superantispyware - nothing found. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3.
> Any
> answers/suggestions?

Steve

Re: Download Center
Still have problem. I did the following:
1. Deleted all references to Google via Windows Explore searching on Google
2. Uninstalled Firefox (it had a reference to Google)
3. Reset default search engine to Bing & removed entry for Google
4. Reinstalled IE8 using http://www.microsoft.com/internet-ex...thank-you.aspx
5. During the process for unistall/reinstall IE8:
a. Process indicated that it unloaded the "old" installation
b. Requested restart & logon
c.Ran ie8-windowsxp-x86-ehu.exe on restart of windows
d. Installation went through:
. Downloading
. Checking your computer for malicious software [found none]
. Installing updates
. Finishing setup
. Restarted computer
e. No question about selecting "simple" vs. "custom" installation of IE8
f. Got the following trying to select "Released" in the Download Center
trying to access the security updates for "All Windows XP."
g. I am running with Norton 360 and MS auto updates off (due to another
porblem)
h. The error is:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Empty (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729;
msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS)
Timestamp: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:34:18 UTC

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Your problem has nothing to do with Java, STUPIDAntiSpyware, or IE8 (other
> than the fact that you installed the MSN-customized version of IE8 and have
> an outdated version of Google Toolbar installed) and everything to do with
> an excessively long User Agent string.
>
> Start here http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx or maybe here
> http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp
>
> Try "spoofing" IE7 User Agent strings (or uninstall Google Toolbar & the
> MSN-customized version of IE8 then do a fresh install of "vanilla" IE8).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Steve wrote:
> > I am trying to access the security updates for "All Windows XP." When I
> > select "Released" to sort then by date I get the following error on the
> > bottom of the page:
> > Webpage error details
> >
> > User Agent: Empty (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
> > GTB6;
> > .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
> > 3.5.30729; msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS)
> > Timestamp: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:08:54 UTC
> >

> > Message: Object expected
> > Line: 1
> > Char: 1
> > Code: 0
> > URI:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...ng&stype=ss_sd
> >
> > I have tried to un-install then re-install the latest Java release for
> > Windows - no change. I re-installed Internet Explore 8 - no change. I
> > scaned
> > with Superantispyware - nothing found. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3.
> > Any
> > answers/suggestions?

> .

Re: Download Center
> I am running with...MS auto updates off (due to another porblem)

Explain the above. What problem(s)?

Does the behavior persist if you "spoof" IE7 User Agent string using
UAPicker (http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp)?

Have you purchased N360 and is your subscription current?

Does the behavior persist if you disable the Norton Firewall and then enable
the Windows Firewall?

Did you disable all N360 components (e.g., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
firewall; any/all Add-ons) & all STUPIDAntiSpyware components and then
enable the Windows Firewall before installing, uninstalling, and
reinstalling IE8?

Steve wrote:
> [...]
>>> bottom of the page:
>>> Webpage error details
>>>
>>> User Agent: Empty (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
>>> GTB6;
>>> .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
>>> 3.5.30729; msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS)
>>> Timestamp: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:08:54 UTC
>>>

>>> Message: Object expected
>>> Line: 1
>>> Char: 1
>>> Code: 0
>>> URI:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...ng&stype=ss_sd
>>>
>>> I have tried to un-install then re-install the latest Java release for
>>> Windows - no change. I re-installed Internet Explore 8 - no change. I
>>> scaned
>>> with Superantispyware - nothing found. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3.
>>> answers/suggestions?

>> .

Steve

Re: Download Center
The spoffing worked. I do not have Google on the PC and I am runniing Norton
with all its functions active.

The other problem I mentioned was when I tried in the past to go to the
Windows Update selection from the MS Directories the system wanted to
download new "downloading" programs. In the process the error 80070020 was
issued. If I tried to allow Auto Update the PC would lockup so I have turned
it off. However now when I try to go to Windows Update I get thefollowing:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer
Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from
the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest
critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on
Automatic Updates:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one
of the following:
Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the
Automatic Updates tab.
Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned
off.

IT SEEMS THE SYSTEM THINKS I AM ON AN OLD IE AND WANTS ME TO UP IE. BUT I AM
CURRENTLY USING IE8!! ANY THOUGHTS? I KNOW THIS MIGHT REQUIRE A SEPARATE
THREAD IN THE DOWNLOAD CENTER. I HAVE WORKED THE ERROR 80070020 IN PAST WITH
SOMEONE FROM MS BUT NOTHING WORKED. THE FINAL CONCUSION WAS TO REINSTALL
WINDOWS XP PRO. IF YOU HAVE NO ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS I WILL IN THE NEXT WEEK
OR TWO, WITH THE HELP OF DELL, REFORMATING MY C: DRIVE AND REINSTALLING
WINDOWS XP PRO (I HAVE A PORTABLE EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR MY DATA).

CONTINUED THANKS STEVE

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > Line: 1
> > Char: 1
> > Code: 0
> > URI:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...ng&stype=ss_sd
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Your problem has nothing to do with Java, STUPIDAntiSpyware, or IE8
> >> (other
> >> than the fact that you installed the MSN-customized version of IE8 and
> >> have
> >> an outdated version of Google Toolbar installed) and everything to do
> >> with
> >> an excessively long User Agent string.
> >>
> >> Start here http://www.fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx or maybe here
> >> http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp
> >>
> >> Try "spoofing" IE7 User Agent strings (or uninstall Google Toolbar & the
> >> MSN-customized version of IE8 then do a fresh install of "vanilla" IE8).

Re: Download Center
Steve, return to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx & look at the bottom of
the page to see if a "fix" is suggested.

NB: The fact that you failed to disable all Norton components (and then
enable the Windows Firewall, if necessary) prior to installing, uninstalling
or reinstalling IE8 and/or SP3 may be responsible for ALL of this.

Steve wrote:
> [...]

>>> . Installing updates
>>> . Finishing setup
>>> . Restarted computer
>>> e. No question about selecting "simple" vs. "custom" installation of
>>> IE8
>>> f. Got the following trying to select "Released" in the Download
>>> Center
>>> trying to access the security updates for "All Windows XP."
>>> g. I am running with Norton 360 and MS auto updates off (due to
>>> another
>>> porblem)
>>> h. The error is:
>>> Webpage error details
>>>
>>> User Agent: Empty (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0;
>>> .NET
>>> CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
>>> 3.5.30729; msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS)
>>> Timestamp: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:34:18 UTC

Steve

Re: Download Center
The following is what I found on the web site. I do not know what it is
telling or what I can do with it. I am really over my head:

For free IE tweaks and enhancements (handpicked by EricLaw), please visit
http://www.EnhanceIE.com.
Your User-Agent String

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux) KHTML/3.5.5 (like Gecko)
(Debian)

About the User-Agent String

The User-Agent (or UA) string is sent along in the headers of every HTTP
request so the server knows what type of browser is making the request. For a
quick refresher on the User-Agent string, check out George Shephard's article
in MSDN Magazine. Two MSDN articles describe User-Agent headers:
Understanding User-Agent Strings, and Best Practices for detecting the
Internet Explorer version.

Want Internet Explorer to simulate another version?

IE8 users: Check out the free User-Agent Picker add-on, which enables
changing your UA string without restarting the browser.

Otherwise, run one of the following scripts and restart all browser
instances to see the change:

•Internet Explorer 6 on WindowsXP (use this to workaround sites that block
IE7 or Windows Vista)
•Internet Explorer 7 on your current OS
•Internet Explorer 7 on Vista
•Internet Explorer 8 on Vista (use this to workaround sites that block
Windows 7)
•Undo User-Agent registry overrides

Your browser sent the following headers:
Connection: Keep-AliveContent-Length: 0Accept: */*Accept-Encoding: gzip,
deflateAccept-Language: en-usHost: www.fiddlertool.comReferer:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...cedUser-Agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux) KHTML/3.5.5 (like Gecko)
(Debian)X-Original-URL: /ua.aspx
ASPNET's HTTPBrowserCapabilities object reports that, based on the
User-Agent, your Browser has the following capabilities:

Type = desktop
Name = Mozilla
Version = 5.0
Major Version = 5
Minor Version = 0
Platform = Unknown
Is Beta = False
Is Crawler = False
Is AOL = False
Is Win16 = False
Is Win32 = False
Supports Frames = True
Supports Tables = True
Supports Cookies = True
Supports VBScript = False
Supports JavaScript = True
Supports Java Applets = True
Supports ActiveX Controls = False

Conditional comments report that you are using Internet Explorer 8.0.

Object Model UA String

getComponentVersion says you are running Internet Explorer 8,0,6001,18702.
window.navigator.userAgent: [Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux)
KHTML/3.5.5 (like Gecko) (Debian)]
window.navigator.appMinorVersion: [0]

Document mode clientCaps Info

The following script commands will generate a text file containing all
UA-override registry settings.
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\5.0\User Agent" /s > Reg.txt
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\5.0\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt

©2003-2009 Microsoft Corporation

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > SOMEONE FROM MS BUT NOTHING WORKED. THE FINAL CONCUSION WAS TO REINSTALL
> > WINDOWS XP PRO. IF YOU HAVE NO ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS I WILL IN THE NEXT
> > WEEK OR TWO, WITH THE HELP OF DELL, REFORMATING MY C: DRIVE AND
> > REINSTALLING
> > WINDOWS XP PRO (I HAVE A PORTABLE EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR MY DATA).
> >
> > CONTINUED THANKS STEVE

> >> Explain the above. What problem(s)?
> >>
> >> Does the behavior persist if you "spoof" IE7 User Agent string using
> >> UAPicker (http://www.enhanceie.com/ietoys/uapick.asp)?
> >>
> >> Have you purchased N360 and is your subscription current?
> >>
> >> Does the behavior persist if you disable the Norton Firewall and then
> >> enable the Windows Firewall?
> >>
> >> Did you disable all N360 components (e.g., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
> >> firewall; any/all Add-ons) & all STUPIDAntiSpyware components and then
> >> enable the Windows Firewall before installing, uninstalling, and

Steve

Re: Download Center
I found a "reg.txt" file on my desk top. What help is this:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\User Agent
<NO NAME> REG_SZ Empty

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform
msn OptimizedIE8;ENUS REG_SZ IEAK

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\User Agent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform
.NET CLR 1.1.4322 REG_SZ
.NET CLR 2.0.50727 REG_SZ
.NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152 REG_SZ
.NET CLR 3.5.30729 REG_SZ

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

"Steve" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
> > > Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the
> > > Automatic Updates tab.
> > > Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned
> > > off.
> > >
> > > IT SEEMS THE SYSTEM THINKS I AM ON AN OLD IE AND WANTS ME TO UP IE. BUT I
> > > AM
> > > CURRENTLY USING IE8!! ANY THOUGHTS? I KNOW THIS MIGHT REQUIRE A SEPARATE
> > > THREAD IN THE DOWNLOAD CENTER. I HAVE WORKED THE ERROR 80070020 IN PAST
> > > WITH
> > > SOMEONE FROM MS BUT NOTHING WORKED. THE FINAL CONCUSION WAS TO REINSTALL
> > > WINDOWS XP PRO. IF YOU HAVE NO ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS I WILL IN THE NEXT
> > > WEEK OR TWO, WITH THE HELP OF DELL, REFORMATING MY C: DRIVE AND
> > > REINSTALLING
> > > WINDOWS XP PRO (I HAVE A PORTABLE EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR MY DATA).

Steve

Re: Download Center
I was looking through some of the postings for other issues and I have a
question: could some of my problems relate to issues with .NET Framework? One
of the postings mentioned problem with "objects"? Any connection? Please
forgive me for my constant questions.

Thanks Steve

"Steve" wrote:

> [...]
> > reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
> > Settings\5.0\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
> > reg query "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
> > Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt
> > reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
> > Settings\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
> > reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
> > Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt

> > ©2003-2009 Microsoft Corporation
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Steve, return to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx & look at the bottom of
> > > the page to see if a "fix" is suggested.
> > >
> > > NB: The fact that you failed to disable all Norton components (and then
> > > enable the Windows Firewall, if necessary) prior to installing, uninstalling
> > > or reinstalling IE8 and/or SP3 may be responsible for ALL of this.

Re: Download Center
What a mess!

Other than a format & clean install, the only suggestion I have at this
point is to see if uninstalling/reinstalling IE8 with ALL Norton components
disabled & the Windows Firewall enabled throughout corrects the mess, Steve.

There's not a doubt in my mind that Norton's responsible for all this.

Or you can just stick with using UAPicker to "spoof" IE7 when you encounter
such problems.