Why was the update list removed after restore?

Peter

Why was the update list removed after restore?
I am running Vista 32bit sp1. I just installed the new version of
Windows update agent. After that, I did a restore to an earlier
restore point. Then, I noticed that the Windows update list has been
removed. I don't know what happened. How come the restore remove the
windows update list?

It was in the process of doing some updating, but I cancelled it.
Those updates were listed as canceled. So I tried to restore the
system to half an hour earlier. The update list should still have all
my updates for the past year.
MowGreen

Re: Why was the update list removed after restore?
Peter wrote:

> I am running Vista 32bit sp1. I just installed the new version of
> Windows update agent. After that, I did a restore to an earlier
> restore point. Then, I noticed that the Windows update list has been
> removed. I don't know what happened. How come the restore remove the
> windows update list?
>
> It was in the process of doing some updating, but I cancelled it.
> Those updates were listed as canceled. So I tried to restore the
> system to half an hour earlier. The update list should still have all
> my updates for the past year.

Peter,

Undo the restoration and see what happens. As you've experienced,
cancelling updates does not mean you need to run system restore.
The updating will continue at a later pint in time.

Apparently, using a restore point after cancelling the updating caused
an issue in Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), which is why no
update history is showing.

Open the Backup and Restore Center in Control Panel.
Click the " Repair Windows using System Restore " link in the left frame.
When the System Restore window opens there should be an option for you
to Undo the previous restoration.
Put a mark next to that and then click the Next button.

Did Undoing the restoration show the update list ?

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Re: Why was the update list removed after restore?
See replies to your thread in Windows Update forum.

Peter wrote:
> I am running Vista 32bit sp1. I just installed the new version of
> Windows update agent. After that, I did a restore to an earlier
> restore point. Then, I noticed that the Windows update list has been
> removed. I don't know what happened. How come the restore remove the
> windows update list?
>
> It was in the process of doing some updating, but I cancelled it.
> Those updates were listed as canceled. So I tried to restore the
> system to half an hour earlier. The update list should still have all
> my updates for the past year.

Peter

Re: Why was the update list removed after restore?
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:21:26 -0700, MowGreen <mowgreen@nowandzen.com>
wrote:

I tried to restore to the point right after I canceled the
installation of updates. It still does not show the update history
list. Is there any other way?

Actually, I had to undo 2 restore, since I restored to right before
the installation of updates( which removed the Windows update
history), and then to a few days before the installation of updates.

Funny that it does not show the update history list, but further down,
on the left side of windows update, there is a place where you can
click to go to "uninstall updates". There the list is still there.

>Peter wrote:
>
>> I am running Vista 32bit sp1. I just installed the new version of
>> Windows update agent. After that, I did a restore to an earlier
>> restore point. Then, I noticed that the Windows update list has been
>> removed. I don't know what happened. How come the restore remove the
>> windows update list?
>>
>> It was in the process of doing some updating, but I cancelled it.
>> Those updates were listed as canceled. So I tried to restore the
>> system to half an hour earlier. The update list should still have all
>> my updates for the past year.

>Peter,
>
>Undo the restoration and see what happens. As you've experienced,
>cancelling updates does not mean you need to run system restore.
>The updating will continue at a later pint in time.
>
>Apparently, using a restore point after cancelling the updating caused
>an issue in Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), which is why no
>update history is showing.
>
>Open the Backup and Restore Center in Control Panel.
>Click the " Repair Windows using System Restore " link in the left frame.
>When the System Restore window opens there should be an option for you
>to Undo the previous restoration.
>Put a mark next to that and then click the Next button.
>
>Did Undoing the restoration show the update list ?
>

>MowGreen
>===============
> *-343-* FDNY
>Never Forgotten
>===============
>
>banthecheck.com
>"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Peter

Re: Why was the update list removed after restore?

Are you referring to the new social.answer.microsoft groups?

wc0938975120@hotmail.com.tw

"Peter" wrote:

> I am running Vista 32bit sp1. I just installed the new version of
> Windows update agent. After that, I did a restore to an earlier
> restore point. Then, I noticed that the Windows update list has been
> removed. I don't know what happened. How come the restore remove the
> windows update list?
>
> It was in the process of doing some updating, but I cancelled it.
> Those updates were listed as canceled. So I tried to restore the
> system to half an hour earlier. The update list should still have all
> my updates for the past year.
> .

MowGreen

Re: Why was the update list removed after restore?
I thought I recommended that you Undo the restoration, not to use
another restore point ?

>> Funny that it does not show the update history list, but further down,
>> on the left side of windows update, there is a place where you can
>> click to go to "uninstall updates". There the list is still there.

Suggest you verify Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

Open an elevated Command Prompt. (Click the Start orb; in the Start
Search field type in
cmd
Under Programs, *right* click cmd.exe or cmd, choose 'Run as administrator'
Enter a password, if one is used, and/or click the Continue button)

At the Elevated Command Prompt type in the following and press Enter

winmgmt /verifyrepository

IF you see 'WMI repository is inconsistent', enter the following and
then press Enter after each command

winmgmt /salvagerepository
exit

If you see a "WMI repository salvage failed" error when running the
salvagerpository command, run the command a second time as it may repair it.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Peter wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:21:26 -0700, MowGreen <mowgreen@nowandzen.com>
> wrote:
>
> I tried to restore to the point right after I canceled the
> installation of updates. It still does not show the update history
> list. Is there any other way?
>
> Actually, I had to undo 2 restore, since I restored to right before
> the installation of updates( which removed the Windows update
> history), and then to a few days before the installation of updates.
>
> Funny that it does not show the update history list, but further down,
> on the left side of windows update, there is a place where you can
> click to go to "uninstall updates". There the list is still there.
>

>>Peter wrote:
>>

>>>I am running Vista 32bit sp1. I just installed the new version of
>>>Windows update agent. After that, I did a restore to an earlier
>>>restore point. Then, I noticed that the Windows update list has been
>>>removed. I don't know what happened. How come the restore remove the
>>>windows update list?
>>>
>>>It was in the process of doing some updating, but I cancelled it.
>>>Those updates were listed as canceled. So I tried to restore the
>>>system to half an hour earlier. The update list should still have all
>>>my updates for the past year.

>>Peter,
>>
>>Undo the restoration and see what happens. As you've experienced,
>>cancelling updates does not mean you need to run system restore.
>>The updating will continue at a later pint in time.
>>
>>Apparently, using a restore point after cancelling the updating caused
>>an issue in Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), which is why no
>>update history is showing.
>>
>>Open the Backup and Restore Center in Control Panel.
>>Click the " Repair Windows using System Restore " link in the left frame.
>>When the System Restore window opens there should be an option for you
>>to Undo the previous restoration.
>>Put a mark next to that and then click the Next button.
>>
>>Did Undoing the restoration show the update list ?
>>

>>MowGreen
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>banthecheck.com
>>"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Peter

Re: Why was the update list removed after restore?
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:16:36 -0700, MowGreen <mowgreen@nowandzen.com>
wrote:

I did what you suggested by "undo the restoration".
It still does not show the update history list.
So I tried,

winmgmt /verifyrepository

winmgmt /salvagerepository

In both cases, it reported WMI repository is consistent.

> [...]

>>>Apparently, using a restore point after cancelling the updating caused
>>>an issue in Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), which is why no
>>>update history is showing.
>>>
>>>Open the Backup and Restore Center in Control Panel.
>>>Click the " Repair Windows using System Restore " link in the left frame.
>>>When the System Restore window opens there should be an option for you
>>>to Undo the previous restoration.
>>>Put a mark next to that and then click the Next button.
>>>
>>>Did Undoing the restoration show the update list ?
>>>

>>>MowGreen
>>>===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>Never Forgotten
>>>===============
>>>
>>>banthecheck.com
>>>"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Re: Why was the update list removed after restore?
Yes.

Peter wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:38:42 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Are you referring to the new social.answer.microsoft groups?
>
>> See replies to your thread in Windows Update forum.
>>
>> Peter wrote:
>>> I am running Vista 32bit sp1. I just installed the new version of
>>> Windows update agent. After that, I did a restore to an earlier
>>> restore point. Then, I noticed that the Windows update list has been
>>> removed. I don't know what happened. How come the restore remove the
>>> windows update list?
>>>
>>> It was in the process of doing some updating, but I cancelled it.
>>> Those updates were listed as canceled. So I tried to restore the
>>> system to half an hour earlier. The update list should still have all
>>> my updates for the past year.

Peter

wrote:

I did what you suggested by "undo the restoration".
It still does not show the update history list.

winmgmt /verifyrepository

winmgmt /salvagerepository

In both cases, it reported WMI repository is consistent.

Is there any other way to recover the update list?

Thanks.