Office XP SP3

em21

Office XP SP3
Hi, Windows Updates has sent Office XP SP3 to download, but before I do that,
I have some questions about it. Hope somebody can help me with them.

I read all the info in the Microsoft site that Windows Update gives for more
information, but couldn't find the answer to my questions. They just say,
more or less, that the download is an update for Office XP, that it has a
bunch security updates needed, and how to download it etc. etc.

One question I have is: What exactly is Office XP SP3? Is that something
like Microsoft Works Suite, that has Microsoft Office, Microsoft word, and
things like that?

Another question is: Do I have to download it?
I ask because for what I understand from the iformation I get, this download
is an update for Office XP. But, I'm not sure I have Office XP in my
computer. It's not in Add/Remove, not in Program Files, I could not find it
in Search, I have no icons for it. How do I know if I have it or not? If I
don't have it, I would not need to update, right? And if I don't have it. is
this something I need to download and why? Can I do without it?

The only things I found that may be related are, Microsoft Works Suite 2005.
This includes MS Works 8, MS Word 2002. There is also, among other things, MS
Office tools and MS Office Power Point 2002.

I have XP/SP3. IE, AOL, and Mozilla browsers

I'll appreciate any suggestions,

Many thanks,

--
edith
Shenan Stanley

Re: Office XP SP3
em21 wrote:
> Hi, Windows Updates has sent Office XP SP3 to download, but before
> I do that, I have some questions about it. Hope somebody can help
> me with them.
>
> I read all the info in the Microsoft site that Windows Update gives
> for more information, but couldn't find the answer to my questions.
> They just say, more or less, that the download is an update for
> Office XP, that it has a bunch security updates needed, and how to
> download it etc. etc.
>
> One question I have is: What exactly is Office XP SP3? Is that
> something like Microsoft Works Suite, that has Microsoft Office,
> Microsoft word, and things like that?
>
> Another question is: Do I have to download it?
> I ask because for what I understand from the iformation I get, this
> download is an update for Office XP. But, I'm not sure I have
> Office XP in my computer. It's not in Add/Remove, not in Program
> Files, I could not find it in Search, I have no icons for it. How
> do I know if I have it or not? If I don't have it, I would not need
> to update, right? And if I don't have it. is this something I need
> to download and why? Can I do without it?
>
> The only things I found that may be related are, Microsoft Works
> Suite 2005. This includes MS Works 8, MS Word 2002. There is also,
> among other things, MS Office tools and MS Office Power Point 2002.
>
> I have XP/SP3. IE, AOL, and Mozilla browsers
>
> I'll appreciate any suggestions,

Word 2002, PowerPoint 2002 *are* Office XP products. 2002/XP. You need SP3
to be current in your patches (actually - not current - but closer than you
are now considering when SP3 for Office XP was released.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

em21

Re: Office XP SP3
Thanks Stanly. So that means that if have only one of the XP applications
that needs pataching, I still have to download the whole SP3 package? I said
one application, because the Power Point I have is 2003, not 2002 as I had
said before. So the only XP application I have is Word 2002.
--
edith

em21 wrote:
> Thanks Stanly. So that means that if have only one of the XP
> applications that needs pataching, I still have to download the
> whole SP3 package? I said one application, because the Power Point
> I have is 2003, not 2002 as I had said before. So the only XP
> application I have is Word 2002.

Yes.

--
Shenan Stanley