Error number: 0x8007043C

Jakey

Error number: 0x8007043C
I think I may have a virus induced problem, but I've been to a reputable
online source for diagnostics and come up clean.

My problem is I can no longer get 'Windows Update" to work without prompting
the above error. Additionally, I can't get MSSE to download updates and my
"User List" is screwed up, showing only my personal account and the
"Administrator" accounts as available when there used to be a third "limited"
user account (which STILL resides in "Docs & Settings".

From what I've been able to discern, my computer apparently thinks it's in
"Safe Mode" after booting into normal WinXP mode.

Anyone familiar with his scenario out there?
Ǝиçεl

RE: Error number: 0x8007043C

1) Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2) Click Start and Run, type 'Regsvr32 wuapi.dll' (without quotes) in the
Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and the .dll file

3) Similarly one by one register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
Regsvr32 wucltui.dll
Regsvr32 wups.dll
Regsvr32 wuweb.dll
Regsvr32 jscript.dll
Regsvr32 atl.dll

Try the Windows Update site now.

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"Jakey" wrote:

> I think I may have a virus induced problem, but I've been to a reputable
> online source for diagnostics and come up clean.
>
> My problem is I can no longer get 'Windows Update" to work without prompting
> the above error. Additionally, I can't get MSSE to download updates and my
> "User List" is screwed up, showing only my personal account and the
> "Administrator" accounts as available when there used to be a third "limited"
> user account (which STILL resides in "Docs & Settings".
>
> From what I've been able to discern, my computer apparently thinks it's in
> "Safe Mode" after booting into normal WinXP mode.
>
> Anyone familiar with his scenario out there?

Jakey

RE: Error number: 0x8007043C
Ǝиçεl...

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately that fix didn't work and I'm still getting the error.

The computer appears to be in some version of "Safe Mode" when I log into
WinXP.

Can you suggest another forum where I might try to get this fixed? If this
"Safe Mode" problem can be fixed, perhaps my WU problem will go away.

Thanks
Ǝиçεl

RE: Error number: 0x8007043C
See if anything here helps.

<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?safe=off&q=0x8007043C&btnG=Search&as_mind=1 0&as_minm=1&as_miny=2009&as_maxd=6&as_maxm=10&as_m axy=2009&as_drrb=b&sitesearch=>

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"Jakey" wrote:

> Ǝиçεl...
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> Unfortunately that fix didn't work and I'm still getting the error.
>
> The computer appears to be in some version of "Safe Mode" when I log into
> WinXP.
>
> Can you suggest another forum where I might try to get this fixed? If this
> "Safe Mode" problem can be fixed, perhaps my WU problem will go away.
>
> Thanks

MowGreen

Re: Error number: 0x8007043C
Using Internet Explorer, have the system scanned here:
alternatively, you can download, *save*, and then install
Malwarebytes Anti-malware:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Click the Download free version button.
Close all open programs and browsers once the download is finished.
Now run mbam-setup.exe
Allow it to update it's definitions during the installation.
Once it's installed and has obtained it's latest defs, click the Scan
button as it should be set to do a Quick scan by it's Default setting.
When the scan is finished click the Show results button.
If anything was detected make sure that it[they] are checked and then
click the Remove selected button.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Jakey wrote:

> Ǝиçεl...
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> Unfortunately that fix didn't work and I'm still getting the error.
>
> The computer appears to be in some version of "Safe Mode" when I log into
> WinXP.
>
> Can you suggest another forum where I might try to get this fixed? If this
> "Safe Mode" problem can be fixed, perhaps my WU problem will go away.
>
> Thanks

Jakey

RE: Error number: 0x8007043C
Ǝиçεl...

I checked the discussion group but didn't find anything of use.

I've started another topic here...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-27fa87a018c9

Hopefully I can get this fixed without resorting to drastic measures.

Thanks for the try.

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> See if anything here helps.
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?safe=off&q=0x8007043C&btnG=Search&as_mind=1 0&as_minm=1&as_miny=2009&as_maxd=6&as_maxm=10&as_m axy=2009&as_drrb=b&sitesearch=>
>

> Ǝиçεl
> ◕‿◕
> -=-
>

> "Jakey" wrote:
>
> > Ǝиçεl...
> >
> > Thank you for your response.
> >
> > Unfortunately that fix didn't work and I'm still getting the error.
> >
> > The computer appears to be in some version of "Safe Mode" when I log into
> > WinXP.
> >
> > Can you suggest another forum where I might try to get this fixed? If this
> > "Safe Mode" problem can be fixed, perhaps my WU problem will go away.
> >
> > Thanks

Jakey

Re: Error number: 0x8007043C
MowGreen...

I ran the "LiveCare" scan and it was clean. Malwarebytes was also a part of
the virus-repair process I went through previously.

I've somehow managed to damage the WinXP OS in the process though and I'm
currently communicating directly with Microsoft as well as this topic in
another MS forum...

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-27fa87a018c9

Thank you for your help

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Using Internet Explorer, have the system scanned here:
> alternatively, you can download, *save*, and then install
> Malwarebytes Anti-malware:
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
>
> Click the Download free version button.
> Close all open programs and browsers once the download is finished.
> Now run mbam-setup.exe
> Allow it to update it's definitions during the installation.
> Once it's installed and has obtained it's latest defs, click the Scan
> button as it should be set to do a Quick scan by it's Default setting.
> When the scan is finished click the Show results button.
> If anything was detected make sure that it[they] are checked and then
> click the Remove selected button.
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>

> Jakey wrote:
>
> > Ǝиçεl...
> >
> > Thank you for your response.
> >
> > Unfortunately that fix didn't work and I'm still getting the error.
> >
> > The computer appears to be in some version of "Safe Mode" when I log into
> > WinXP.
> >
> > Can you suggest another forum where I might try to get this fixed? If this
> > "Safe Mode" problem can be fixed, perhaps my WU problem will go away.
> >
> > Thanks

t-4-2

Re: Error number: 0x8007043C
Something perhaps you should know. MS has discontinued Windows Live Onecare.
See/read the link :
http://www.liveside.net/main/archive...-for-free.aspx

t-4-2

"Jakey" <Jakey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MowGreen...
>
> I ran the "LiveCare" scan and it was clean. Malwarebytes was also a part
> of
> the virus-repair process I went through previously.
>
> I've somehow managed to damage the WinXP OS in the process though and I'm
> currently communicating directly with Microsoft as well as this topic in
> another MS forum...
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-27fa87a018c9
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
>> Using Internet Explorer, have the system scanned here:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>> alternatively, you can download, *save*, and then install
>> Malwarebytes Anti-malware:
>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/
>>
>> Click the Download free version button.
>> Close all open programs and browsers once the download is finished.
>> Now run mbam-setup.exe
>> Allow it to update it's definitions during the installation.
>> Once it's installed and has obtained it's latest defs, click the Scan
>> button as it should be set to do a Quick scan by it's Default setting.
>> When the scan is finished click the Show results button.
>> If anything was detected make sure that it[they] are checked and then
>> click the Remove selected button.
>>
>> MowGreen
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>
>> banthecheck.com
>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>>

>> Jakey wrote:
>>
>> > Ǝиçεl...
>> >
>> > Thank you for your response.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately that fix didn't work and I'm still getting the error.
>> >
>> > The computer appears to be in some version of "Safe Mode" when I log
>> > into
>> > WinXP.
>> >
>> > Can you suggest another forum where I might try to get this fixed? If
>> > this
>> > "Safe Mode" problem can be fixed, perhaps my WU problem will go away.
>> >
>> > Thanks

MowGreen

Re: Error number: 0x8007043C
If sfc /scannow will not run, try creating a new User profile to see if
User Profile corruption has occurred:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

The OS may be damaged beyond repair. If that's the case, then you can
attempt a Repair Installation IF you have the XP CD. If IE7 or 8 is
installed see this first:

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of
Internet Explorer is installed
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Then see: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Jakey wrote:

> MowGreen...
>
> I ran the "LiveCare" scan and it was clean. Malwarebytes was also a part of
> the virus-repair process I went through previously.
>
> I've somehow managed to damage the WinXP OS in the process though and I'm
> currently communicating directly with Microsoft as well as this topic in
> another MS forum...
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-27fa87a018c9
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>

>>Using Internet Explorer, have the system scanned here:
>>http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>alternatively, you can download, *save*, and then install
>>Malwarebytes Anti-malware:
>>http://www.malwarebytes.org/
>>
>>Click the Download free version button.
>>Close all open programs and browsers once the download is finished.
>>Now run mbam-setup.exe
>>Allow it to update it's definitions during the installation.
>>Once it's installed and has obtained it's latest defs, click the Scan
>>button as it should be set to do a Quick scan by it's Default setting.
>>When the scan is finished click the Show results button.
>>If anything was detected make sure that it[they] are checked and then
>>click the Remove selected button.
>>
>>MowGreen
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>banthecheck.com
>>"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>>

>>Jakey wrote:
>>

>>>Ǝиçεl...
>>>
>>>Thank you for your response.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately that fix didn't work and I'm still getting the error.
>>>
>>>The computer appears to be in some version of "Safe Mode" when I log into
>>>WinXP.
>>>
>>>Can you suggest another forum where I might try to get this fixed? If this
>>>"Safe Mode" problem can be fixed, perhaps my WU problem will go away.
>>>
>>>Thanks

Jakey

Re: Error number: 0x8007043C
MowGreen...

Thank you for that info...I'll file it away for reference.

That being said, I recently received my WinXP replacement installation disc
(which I had misplaced) from Microsoft and am working with one of their
techs troubleshooting this.

Hopefully I can come to some resolution of this problem with their assistance.

Thanks