0x80070490 error

samxsnap

0x80070490 error
I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit OS SP1 currently. My system is trying to
install updated SP2 but whenever it tries I get the error code 0x80070490. I
have tried running System File Checker, but to no avail. Have also tried
running the 'Upgrade' option from my installation disc, only get told that it
is not possible to upgrade from my current OS. The only option I am given is
a complete reboot that will wipe all my files and applications. Also have
tried downloading the standalone SP2 package.

Is there any other solution aside from rebooting my entire computer?

Thanks
TaurArian

Re: 0x80070490 error
samxsnap wrote:
:: I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit OS SP1 currently. My system is
:: trying to install updated SP2 but whenever it tries I get the error
:: code 0x80070490. I have tried running System File Checker, but to no
:: avail. Have also tried running the 'Upgrade' option from my
:: installation disc, only get told that it is not possible to upgrade
:: from my current OS. The only option I am given is a complete reboot
:: that will wipe all my files and applications. Also have tried
:: downloading the standalone SP2 package.
::
:: Is there any other solution aside from rebooting my entire computer?
::
:: Thanks

0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND
Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of
the OS.

The error you are receiving occurs if there is corruption in the Component
Based Servicing manifest.

Ignore the title : The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows 7
or Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the
following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712
Explains SFC / Scannow"

A repair install is the usual solution of SFC /Scannow doesn't work.

You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

NB: If you've installed SP1 for Vista

Step 7 (method for Windows Vista), the *UPGRADE* option is not available
because SP1 has been installed.

Uninstall SP1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

Also see:

How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archiv...rver-2008.aspx
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

problem msn

RE: 0x80070490 error

"samxsnap" wrote:

> I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit OS SP1 currently. My system is trying to
> install updated SP2 but whenever it tries I get the error code 0x80070490. I
> have tried running System File Checker, but to no avail. Have also tried
> running the 'Upgrade' option from my installation disc, only get told that it
> is not possible to upgrade from my current OS. The only option I am given is
> a complete reboot that will wipe all my files and applications. Also have
> tried downloading the standalone SP2 package.
>
> Is there any other solution aside from rebooting my entire computer?
>
> Thanks

MowGreen

Re: 0x80070490 error
samxsnap wrote:

> I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit OS SP1 currently. My system is trying to
> install updated SP2 but whenever it tries I get the error code 0x80070490. I
> have tried running System File Checker, but to no avail. Have also tried
> running the 'Upgrade' option from my installation disc, only get told that it
> is not possible to upgrade from my current OS. The only option I am given is
> a complete reboot that will wipe all my files and applications. Also have
> tried downloading the standalone SP2 package.
>
> Is there any other solution aside from rebooting my entire computer?
>
> Thanks

Did you check the logs that the System File Checker created ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

See: How to analyze the log file that the SFC.exe program generates

IF you still can't figure out which files need to be replaced and/or are
missing, suggest you give the System Update Readiness Tool a shot:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, and for Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Make sure that you download the release that is specifically intended
for the type of OS your system is running.
EX: if this is Vista 32 bit, click the x86 link
if this is Vista 64 bit, click the x64 link

NOTE: **The download can be as large as 90MB**
Once it completes close *all* open programs and browsers and then run
the tool [CheckSUR].
The logs it creates are located at:

WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log <--- this log
WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log <--- that log

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
Klaus Kretschmar

Vista update error 0x8007490
Received this error when trying to install SP2.
Solution:
Looked for "error" in CBS log file. Identified KB905866 with note : failed to resolve package. Deleted all keys in registry with reference to KB905866 in HKLM\software\mircrosoft\windows\currentversion\co mponent based servicing. After this SP2 could be installed without problems. Note : you have to give yourself full access rights for every key you want to delete. Refer also to "Andreas Klein: how to overcome 0x80070490...

TaurArian wrote:

Re: 0x80070490 error
03-Oct-09

samxsnap wrote:

0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND
Corrupted System File; Need to perform an in-place upgrade or reinstall of
the OS.

The error you are receiving occurs if there is corruption in the Component
Based Servicing manifest.

Ignore the title : The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows 7
or Windows Vista, or you receive an error message that includes the
following code when you try to use Windows Update: "0x80073712"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712
Explains SFC / Scannow"

A repair install is the usual solution of SFC /Scannow does not work.

You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

NB: If you have installed SP1 for Vista

Step 7 (method for Windows Vista), the *UPGRADE* option is not available
because SP1 has been installed.

Uninstall SP1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

Also see:

How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archiv...rver-2008.aspx
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
or guarantees and does not give any rights.

On Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:56 PM
samxsnap wrote:

0x80070490 error
I am running Windows Vista 32-bit OS SP1 currently. My system is trying to
install updated SP2 but whenever it tries I get the error code 0x80070490. I
have tried running System File Checker, but to no avail. Have also tried
running the 'Upgrade' option from my installation disc, only get told that it
is not possible to upgrade from my current OS. The only option I am given is
a complete reboot that will wipe all my files and applications. Also have
tried downloading the standalone SP2 package.

Is there any other solution aside from rebooting my entire computer?

Thanks

On Saturday, October 03, 2009 9:32 PM
TaurArian wrote:

Re: 0x80070490 error
samxsnap wrote:

[...]

On Monday, October 05, 2009 9:33 AM
problem msn wrote:

RE: 0x80070490 error
"samxsnap" wrote:

On Monday, October 05, 2009 5:38 PM
MowGreen wrote:

Re: 0x80070490 error
samxsnap wrote:

Did you check the logs that the System File Checker created ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

See: How to analyze the log file that the SFC.exe program generates

IF you still cannot figure out which files need to be replaced and/or are
[...]

ASP.NET Membership and Roles in Silverlight 3
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ip-and-ro.aspx