Windows Update

Kels Bells 13

Windows Update
Here is my issue...I have been recieving this update since it came out at the
end of April. I do not find any differences when looking in the Windows
Update History folder and looking at the properties. Everytime I install this
it gives the same reason, the same numbers, the same date, the same
properties and states it is successfully installed. It is also an update that
cannot be removed according to its details (listed at the bottom). Today
alone, I have been asked to install this 9 times and another on says its
sitting there. Evrytime it says its successfully installed. What the crap is
going on? I don't like this and almost want to turn off the update finder
because it's so annoying! I've only been on the computer for 3 hours today
and 9 times, now 10 its told me to install this and I have done this
repeatedly for months now. Please help.

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

Installation date: ‎10/‎3/‎2009 2:25 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML)
that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update
from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Ǝиçεl

RE: Windows Update
See if this thread helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...5-503f20626f73

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"Kels Bells 13" wrote:

> Here is my issue...I have been recieving this update since it came out at the
> end of April. I do not find any differences when looking in the Windows
> Update History folder and looking at the properties. Everytime I install this
> it gives the same reason, the same numbers, the same date, the same
> properties and states it is successfully installed. It is also an update that
> cannot be removed according to its details (listed at the bottom). Today
> alone, I have been asked to install this 9 times and another on says its
> sitting there. Evrytime it says its successfully installed. What the crap is
> going on? I don't like this and almost want to turn off the update finder
> because it's so annoying! I've only been on the computer for 3 hours today
> and 9 times, now 10 its told me to install this and I have done this
> repeatedly for months now. Please help.
>

> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)
>
> Installation date: ‎10/‎3/‎2009 2:25 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML)
> that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain
> control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update
> from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update
Kels Bells 13 wrote:
> Here is my issue...I have been recieving this update since it came
> out at the end of April. I do not find any differences when looking
> in the Windows Update History folder and looking at the properties.
> Everytime I install this it gives the same reason, the same
> numbers, the same date, the same properties and states it is
> successfully installed. It is also an update that cannot be removed
> according to its details (listed at the bottom). Today alone, I
> have been asked to install this 9 times and another on says its
> sitting there. Evrytime it says its successfully installed. What
> the crap is going on? I don't like this and almost want to turn off
> the update finder because it's so annoying! I've only been on the
> computer for 3 hours today and 9 times, now 10 its told me to
> install this and I have done this repeatedly for months now. Please
> help.
>

> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB954430)
>
> Installation date: ?10/?3/?2009 2:25 PM
>
> Installation status: Successful
>
> Update type: Important
>
> A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services
> (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your
> Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect
> your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
> install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you
> have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Using a search engine, like Google, you might have come across the answers
that have been posted in these newsgroups many times over about this problem
or even been pointed to the knowledge base article.

In any case - here is what you would be looking for:

Viewing the Knowledge Base Article for the update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

Under "Known issues with this security update", you might read this:

"This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
has not been updated correctly. For more information about this issue, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

[941729] Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

Which naturally leads you here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/

Titled: "Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

With this simple resolution:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type
ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
and then press ENTER.
**Note** After you press ENTER, you may receive the following
error message. "Cannot find the file specified."
Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com
5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Kels Bells 13

Re: Windows Update
Thank you for the help Shenan. Hopefully it will not appear again, but seems
to have worked so far.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> Which naturally leads you here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/
>
> Titled: "Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
> Update"
>
> With this simple resolution:
>
> To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
> 2. At the command prompt, type
> ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
> and then press ENTER.
> **Note** After you press ENTER, you may receive the following
> error message. "Cannot find the file specified."
> Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
> 3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
> 4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://www.update.microsoft.com
> 5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

Well, that didn't take long. I followed ur directions and it seemed to work,
but now within a min it has come up again to install. I'll try to shut down
and restart, but I could use some other ideas or I'm afraid I may go the
route of reformating and starting from scratch on my computer...i really
don't wanna do that.