cannot uninstall xp sp 3 to repair xp sp2!!

yaseenexists

cannot uninstall xp sp 3 to repair xp sp2!!
Hey,
my comp was affected by a virus from a pendrive which was not scanned before
using it on 1st oct(2 days ago)! I immediately scanned n discarded the
viruses! but subsequently task manager does not open. it shows it has been
disabled by the admin. I am the adminstrator n I dont know how to enable the
task manager!
The 2nd problem Im facin is, since the virus incident my comp has become
very slow, n I want to repair xp. but xp sp3 was installed from microsoft
update recently. this is to be uninstalled to run repair from my xp sp2 cd. I
tried uninstalling from Add remove programs. but some catalog files seem to
be missing or currupt such that it comes to "restoring catalogs" n stops with
"cannot locate sp3" error. Yesterday I saw a link to download a xp sp 3 iso
file on the miscrosoft support site n tried downloading it to repair sp3. but
that installation iso file also stops with "cannot install error".
Please help with any solution!! How do I ve to repair xp sp3 in order to
uninstall it properly?? or how do I ve to repair xp sp2 from my cd without
not havin to uninstall sp3???
TaurArian

Re: cannot uninstall xp sp 3 to repair xp sp2!!
yaseenexists wrote:
[...]

Personally I would wipe the computer and start again but that's your choice
not mine.

As for your question:
How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Enable/repair the Task Manager (#113)

Enable or Disable Ctrl/Alt/Delete (#198)

Enable the Task Manager (Line 51)

Allows you to enable or disable Task Manager for the Current User
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm

Lift Restrictions - Task Manager, Regedit and CMD (Line 275)

Troubleshooting the Task Manager
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#tm

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Taskmanager_error.htm
Error Message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator"

Also note that Malware turns on these restrictions.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: cannot uninstall xp sp 3 to repair xp sp2!!
Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware