Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Deleting OLD Updates

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2009
DIVA
 

Posts: n/a
Deleting OLD Updates
Can out of date or should I say previously used updates be deleted to give
more space to the drive?

Thanks.
--
Diva54
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2009
Ǝиçεl
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Deleting OLD Updates
Hello Diva,


See if this thяead helps.

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=fe8a1 2a4-dc8a-4e44-96e3-d66b9f3d0a33&mid=fe8a12a4-dc8a-4e44-96e3-d66b9f3d0a33>

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"DIVA" wrote:

> Can out of date or should I say previously used updates be deleted to give
> more space to the drive?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Diva54

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-02-2009
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Deleting OLD Updates
DIVA wrote:
:: Can out of date or should I say previously used updates be deleted
:: to give more space to the drive?
::
:: Thanks.
:: --
:: Diva54


You don't save that much space. BTW - it's different for Windows XP and
Vista.
The update uninstall method in Windows Vista is quite different than that in
Windows XP.
Please always state your version of Windows so it makes it a little easier
for us to guess what you wish to do.

For Windows XP -

Removing Old Windows Updates:-

Folders that have uninstall as part of the name (for example
$NtUninstallKB282010$ which reside in C:\windows (hidden folders) are Window
Hot Fix Update folders/files) can be safely deleted (providing you never
wish to uninstall the updates). I would recommend leaving these folders for
a period of at least a month to make sure the update is working correctly.

These updates can be deleted individually or in multiples. To find out more
about the update/s go to:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX
NB: XXXXXX = the actual number not including the "Q" or "KB"

Once you have deleted the uninstall folders/files, then go to Control Panel,
Add/Remove Programs. Select the matching Windows Hotfix Title relating the
update folder/file you have just deleted and select remove. You will get a
Windows error. This is because you have deleted the uninstall folder/files.
Just choose OK and the entry will be deleted from the Add/Remove Programs
Listing.

For Vista

The update uninstall method in Windows Vista is quite different than that in
Windows XP.

The uninstall folder for each individual update no longer exists in Vista
and the uninstall information is stored by Volume Shadow Copy service.

After every update, Volume Shadow Copy service only backs up the updated
files.

So with Vista, it is a differential backup rather than a full backup of the
uninstall files in Windows XP.

This backup mechanism is used to save disk space.

So basically, you cannot manually remove the uninstall files from the
computer.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.




Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2009
sheina
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Deleting OLD Updates
Could you please help me in easy to understand terms. I have so many very old
updates, back to 2004. Thank you.
--
sheina


"TaurArian" wrote:

> DIVA wrote:
> :: Can out of date or should I say previously used updates be deleted
> :: to give more space to the drive?
> ::
> :: Thanks.
> :: --
> :: Diva54
>
>
> You don't save that much space. BTW - it's different for Windows XP and
> Vista.
> The update uninstall method in Windows Vista is quite different than that in
> Windows XP.
> Please always state your version of Windows so it makes it a little easier
> for us to guess what you wish to do.
>
> For Windows XP -
>
> Removing Old Windows Updates:-
>
> Folders that have uninstall as part of the name (for example
> $NtUninstallKB282010$ which reside in C:\windows (hidden folders) are Window
> Hot Fix Update folders/files) can be safely deleted (providing you never
> wish to uninstall the updates). I would recommend leaving these folders for
> a period of at least a month to make sure the update is working correctly.
>
> These updates can be deleted individually or in multiples. To find out more
> about the update/s go to:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX
> NB: XXXXXX = the actual number not including the "Q" or "KB"
>
> Once you have deleted the uninstall folders/files, then go to Control Panel,
> Add/Remove Programs. Select the matching Windows Hotfix Title relating the
> update folder/file you have just deleted and select remove. You will get a
> Windows error. This is because you have deleted the uninstall folder/files.
> Just choose OK and the entry will be deleted from the Add/Remove Programs
> Listing.
>
> For Vista
>
> The update uninstall method in Windows Vista is quite different than that in
> Windows XP.
>
> The uninstall folder for each individual update no longer exists in Vista
> and the uninstall information is stored by Volume Shadow Copy service.
>
> After every update, Volume Shadow Copy service only backs up the updated
> files.
>
> So with Vista, it is a differential backup rather than a full backup of the
> uninstall files in Windows XP.
>
> This backup mechanism is used to save disk space.
>
> So basically, you cannot manually remove the uninstall files from the
> computer.
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>
>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2009
TaurArian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Deleting OLD Updates
I thought I had explained it in easy terms but nonetheless, since you
hijacked the thread, I'll assume Windows XP.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries

Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.


sheina wrote:
:: Could you please help me in easy to understand terms. I have so many
:: very old updates, back to 2004. Thank you.
:: --
:: sheina
::
::
:: "TaurArian" wrote:
::
::: DIVA wrote:
::::: Can out of date or should I say previously used updates be deleted
::::: to give more space to the drive?
:::::
::::: Thanks.
::::: --
::::: Diva54
:::
:::
::: You don't save that much space. BTW - it's different for Windows XP
::: and Vista.
::: The update uninstall method in Windows Vista is quite different
::: than that in Windows XP.
::: Please always state your version of Windows so it makes it a little
::: easier for us to guess what you wish to do.
:::
::: For Windows XP -
:::
::: Removing Old Windows Updates:-
:::
::: Folders that have uninstall as part of the name (for example
::: $NtUninstallKB282010$ which reside in C:\windows (hidden folders)
::: are Window Hot Fix Update folders/files) can be safely deleted
::: (providing you never wish to uninstall the updates). I would
::: recommend leaving these folders for a period of at least a month to
::: make sure the update is working correctly.
:::
::: These updates can be deleted individually or in multiples. To find
::: out more about the update/s go to:
::: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=XXXXXX
::: NB: XXXXXX = the actual number not including the "Q" or "KB"
:::
::: Once you have deleted the uninstall folders/files, then go to
::: Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Select the matching Windows
::: Hotfix Title relating the update folder/file you have just deleted
::: and select remove. You will get a Windows error. This is because
::: you have deleted the uninstall folder/files. Just choose OK and the
::: entry will be deleted from the Add/Remove Programs Listing.
:::
::: For Vista
:::
::: The update uninstall method in Windows Vista is quite different
::: than that in Windows XP.
:::
::: The uninstall folder for each individual update no longer exists in
::: Vista and the uninstall information is stored by Volume Shadow Copy
::: service.
:::
::: After every update, Volume Shadow Copy service only backs up the
::: updated files.
:::
::: So with Vista, it is a differential backup rather than a full
::: backup of the uninstall files in Windows XP.
:::
::: This backup mechanism is used to save disk space.
:::
::: So basically, you cannot manually remove the uninstall files from
::: the computer.
::: --
:::
::: TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
::: http://taurarian.mvps.org
::: ======================================
::: Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no
::: warranties
::: or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.





Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deleting Unwanted Updates RDU microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 05-25-2008 14:20
Deleting old updates grace microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 05-23-2008 01:12
Deleting Security Updates? wlc microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 03-18-2008 21:08
Re: Deleting Updates ...winston microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 01-31-2008 21:19
Deleting available updates John microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 01-24-2008 02:06




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:40.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120