Re: MS Windows Update Won't Work - Getting 403 - Forbidden: Access de

Re: MS Windows Update Won't Work - Getting 403 - Forbidden: Access de
[crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

See
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+update+...Amicrosoft.com
www.banthecheck.com

birdlady wrote:
> MS Windows Update worked fine for a while. Now all of a sudden it keeps
> coming up with:
> 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
> credentials that you supplied.
>
> I had been running IE 6 so folks said to upgrade to vers 8.0 I did and I
> still have the same problem. Running XP Professional.

Cometcom1

Re: MS Windows Update Won't Work - Getting 403 - Forbidden: Acces
Windows XP - SP3, AVG, IE8.

I had the same problem.

Solution:

Stop the services "Automatic Update Services" and "Background Intelligent
Transfer Service"
Open a command prompt, change directory to \windows\system32
Type the following command
regsvr32 /u wuweb.dll
A prompt will appear to show the command was successful, simply click OK.
Type Exit and hit enter
Start the two services again. If One of them wasn't running initially, leave
it in the stopped state.
Run windowsupdate again. In case you had chosen to use microsoft update
rather than windows update, make sure to re-enable that option after
installation of the activex.

Cometcom1

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
>
> See
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+update+...Amicrosoft.com
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> birdlady wrote:
> > MS Windows Update worked fine for a while. Now all of a sudden it keeps
> > coming up with:
> > 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
> > credentials that you supplied.
> >
> > I had been running IE 6 so folks said to upgrade to vers 8.0 I did and I
> > still have the same problem. Running XP Professional.

José Prates

Re: MS Windows Update Won't Work - Getting 403 - Forbidden: Acces
That doesn't work for me. It's a bug from activex microsoft update!!!

"Cometcom1" wrote:

> Windows XP - SP3, AVG, IE8.
>
> I had the same problem.
>
> Solution:
>
> Stop the services "Automatic Update Services" and "Background Intelligent
> Transfer Service"
> Open a command prompt, change directory to \windows\system32
> Type the following command
> regsvr32 /u wuweb.dll
> A prompt will appear to show the command was successful, simply click OK.
> Type Exit and hit enter
> Start the two services again. If One of them wasn't running initially, leave
> it in the stopped state.
> Run windowsupdate again. In case you had chosen to use microsoft update
> rather than windows update, make sure to re-enable that option after
> installation of the activex.
>
> Cometcom1
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
> >
> > Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
> >
> > Is Automatic Updates enabled?
> >
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> > What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >
> > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> > machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> > it)?
> >
> > See
> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+update+...Amicrosoft.com
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > www.banthecheck.com
> >

> > birdlady wrote:
> > > MS Windows Update worked fine for a while. Now all of a sudden it keeps
> > > coming up with:
> > > 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
> > > credentials that you supplied.
> > >
> > > I had been running IE 6 so folks said to upgrade to vers 8.0 I did and I
> > > still have the same problem. Running XP Professional.

myesha

Re: MS Windows Update Won't Work - Getting 403 - Forbidden: Acces
You rock Cometcom1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a mill!

"Cometcom1" wrote:

> Windows XP - SP3, AVG, IE8.
>
> I had the same problem.
>
> Solution:
>
> Stop the services "Automatic Update Services" and "Background Intelligent
> Transfer Service"
> Open a command prompt, change directory to \windows\system32
> Type the following command
> regsvr32 /u wuweb.dll
> A prompt will appear to show the command was successful, simply click OK.
> Type Exit and hit enter
> Start the two services again. If One of them wasn't running initially, leave
> it in the stopped state.
> Run windowsupdate again. In case you had chosen to use microsoft update
> rather than windows update, make sure to re-enable that option after
> installation of the activex.
>
> Cometcom1
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
> >
> > Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
> >
> > Is Automatic Updates enabled?
> >
> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> > What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >
> > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> > machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> > it)?
> >
> > See
> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+update+...Amicrosoft.com
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > www.banthecheck.com
> >

> > birdlady wrote:
> > > MS Windows Update worked fine for a while. Now all of a sudden it keeps
> > > coming up with:
> > > 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
> > > credentials that you supplied.
> > >
> > > I had been running IE 6 so folks said to upgrade to vers 8.0 I did and I
> > > still have the same problem. Running XP Professional.

Re: MS Windows Update Won't Work - Getting 403 - Forbidden: Acces
You replied to a thread from 01 Oct-09. What's been happening this week is
a different kettle of fish.

See
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...0-a9e9a034cec4
www.banthecheck.com

Cometcom1 wrote:
> Windows XP - SP3, AVG, IE8.
>
> I had the same problem.
>
> Solution:
>
> Stop the services "Automatic Update Services" and "Background Intelligent
> Transfer Service"
> Open a command prompt, change directory to \windows\system32
> Type the following command
> regsvr32 /u wuweb.dll
> A prompt will appear to show the command was successful, simply click OK.
> Type Exit and hit enter
> Start the two services again. If One of them wasn't running initially,
> leave
> it in the stopped state.
> Run windowsupdate again. In case you had chosen to use microsoft update
> rather than windows update, make sure to re-enable that option after
> installation of the activex.

<snip hijacked thread>