Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security update KB

sofla

Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security update KB
IE version 8
Vista SP1
Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to install
the latest security update (KB9544). I had 5 copies "successfully installed"
though none of them showed up in the "Review Update" history.
I re-booted several times with no remedy to the problem. I also tried the
remedies in the knowledge base article. I ran my anti-virus, anti-malware,
etc. programs.
Finally I did a system restore to eliminate the installs.
The Windows Updater icon still appears & wants me to install this update.
Any suggestions other than asking it to ignore the update?
Not sure if it's relevant but I also never got the update notice for sp2, &
when I tred to install KB947821, thinking it might help, it hangs on
installation.

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security update KB
Thanks for beginning your own, new thread!

> Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to
> install
> the latest security update (KB9544).

Are you referring to KB954430? If so, it's not a security update.

Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to install KB955430
and/or KB947821?

Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your computer when you bought it?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

www.banthecheck.com

sofla wrote:
> IE version 8
> Vista SP1
> Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to
> install
> the latest security update (KB9544). I had 5 copies "successfully
> installed"
> though none of them showed up in the "Review Update" history.
> I re-booted several times with no remedy to the problem. I also tried the
> remedies in the knowledge base article. I ran my anti-virus, anti-malware,
> etc. programs.
> Finally I did a system restore to eliminate the installs.
> The Windows Updater icon still appears & wants me to install this update.
> Any suggestions other than asking it to ignore the update?
> Not sure if it's relevant but I also never got the update notice for sp2,
> &
> when I tred to install KB947821, thinking it might help, it hangs on
> installation.

Ǝиçεl

RE: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security update KB
Hello sofla,

Copied яesponse from Robear Dyer,

NEVER use System Restore to "undo" an update!! Uninstall it instead.

At this point, you should start a free Windows Update support incident
request.

Or you could...

<https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527>

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB947821).

site: <http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer

"sofla" wrote:

> IE version 8
> Vista SP1
> Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to install
> the latest security update (KB9544). I had 5 copies "successfully installed"
> though none of them showed up in the "Review Update" history.
> I re-booted several times with no remedy to the problem. I also tried the
> remedies in the knowledge base article. I ran my anti-virus, anti-malware,
> etc. programs.
> Finally I did a system restore to eliminate the installs.
> The Windows Updater icon still appears & wants me to install this update.
> Any suggestions other than asking it to ignore the update?
> Not sure if it's relevant but I also never got the update notice for sp2, &
> when I tred to install KB947821, thinking it might help, it hangs on
> installation.

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security update KB
OMG, I missed that part!

Ǝиçεl wrote:
> Hello sofla,
>
> Copied яesponse from Robear Dyer,
>
> NEVER use System Restore to "undo" an update!! Uninstall it instead.
>
> At this point, you should start a free Windows Update support incident
> request.
>

> Or you could...

> <https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527>
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB947821).

> site: <http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>
>
> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through
> your usual support contacts.
>
>> IE version 8
>> Vista SP1
>> Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to
>> install
>> the latest security update (KB9544). I had 5 copies "successfully
>> installed" though none of them showed up in the "Review Update" history.
>> I re-booted several times with no remedy to the problem. I also tried the
>> remedies in the knowledge base article. I ran my anti-virus,
>> anti-malware,
>> etc. programs.
>> Finally I did a system restore to eliminate the installs.
>> The Windows Updater icon still appears & wants me to install this update.
>> Any suggestions other than asking it to ignore the update?
>> Not sure if it's relevant but I also never got the update notice for
>> sp2,
>> & when I tred to install KB947821, thinking it might help, it hangs on
>> installation.

j belle

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security updat
I am having the same problem. I have XP SP3. Have installed this update 10
times so far and it keeps asking me to install it again. Update history says
it has installed correctly, but it still keeps asking me to install it

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thanks for beginning your own, new thread!
>
> > Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to
> > install
> > the latest security update (KB9544).

> Are you referring to KB954430? If so, it's not a security update.
>
> Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to install KB955430
> and/or KB947821?
>
> Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your computer when you bought it?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> sofla wrote:
> > IE version 8
> > Vista SP1
> > Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to
> > install
> > the latest security update (KB9544). I had 5 copies "successfully
> > installed"
> > though none of them showed up in the "Review Update" history.
> > I re-booted several times with no remedy to the problem. I also tried the
> > remedies in the knowledge base article. I ran my anti-virus, anti-malware,
> > etc. programs.
> > Finally I did a system restore to eliminate the installs.
> > The Windows Updater icon still appears & wants me to install this update.
> > Any suggestions other than asking it to ignore the update?
> > Not sure if it's relevant but I also never got the update notice for sp2,
> > &
> > when I tred to install KB947821, thinking it might help, it hangs on
> > installation.

sofla

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security updat
1. To ENCEL - there is no way to uninstall a program when it is not
recognized. As I stated before, the program looked like it was successfully
installed but when viewing the update history it was not registered as
installed. This is why Windows Update keeps wanting to install the same
program over & over.
2. PA Bear - Yes I meant KB 955430. It is listed as a "Security Update for
Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2" which is why I called it a
security update.
3. There are no error messages. Everything indicates that it has been
successfully installed, yet it is not visible as an installed component & the
Windows Updater continues to want to install it again.
4. No, Visat SP1 wa not preloaded I updated to it when it became available,
no problems with the install.
5. Yes my subscription is current & I have all the latest
versions/definitions/updates of all the programs I run. My main app is Norton
360, Ver. 3.0. I also run Spybot & Malaware Bytes - both have been run as
Full Scans in Safe Mode recently.
6. My computer came with NIS 2007 initially but have since updated to N360
when subscription expired.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thanks for beginning your own, new thread!
>
> > Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to
> > install
> > the latest security update (KB9544).

> Are you referring to KB954430? If so, it's not a security update.
>
> Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to install KB955430
> and/or KB947821?
>
> Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your computer when you bought it?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> sofla wrote:
> > IE version 8
> > Vista SP1
> > Experiencing problems with windows update - it continues to want to
> > install
> > the latest security update (KB9544). I had 5 copies "successfully
> > installed"
> > though none of them showed up in the "Review Update" history.
> > I re-booted several times with no remedy to the problem. I also tried the
> > remedies in the knowledge base article. I ran my anti-virus, anti-malware,
> > etc. programs.
> > Finally I did a system restore to eliminate the installs.
> > The Windows Updater icon still appears & wants me to install this update.
> > Any suggestions other than asking it to ignore the update?
> > Not sure if it's relevant but I also never got the update notice for sp2,
> > &
> > when I tred to install KB947821, thinking it might help, it hangs on
> > installation.

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security updat
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

j belle wrote:
> I am having the same problem. I have XP SP3. Have installed this update 10
> times so far and it keeps asking me to install it again. Update history
> says it has installed correctly, but it still keeps asking me to install
> it

<snip hijacked thread>

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security updat
> 6. My computer came with NIS 2007 initially but have since updated to N360
> when subscription expired.

Aha! You will want to print the following instructions:

1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall N360,
LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons via Control Panel | Programs | Uninstall a
program (or Control Panel | Programs and Features, if using Classic view).

2. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #3 through #5 below until N360 has
been installed and fully updated!

3a. Download the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop:

3b. Right-click on the saved download and select Run as Administrator.
Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Using your Product Key, reinstall N360 & reboot.

5. Make certain that the Norton firewall is enabled and the Windows Firewall
is disabled now.

6. Manually & repeatedly update N360 via LiveUpdate until you get a "no more
updates" prompt.

7. Now try installing KB954430 again.

If you need additionaly assistance, see the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430 (not 955430)

PS: Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" an update!!

sofla wrote:
> [...]

>>> install
>>> the latest security update (KB9544). I had 5 copies "successfully
>>> installed"
>>> though none of them showed up in the "Review Update" history.
>>> I re-booted several times with no remedy to the problem. I also tried
>>> the
>>> remedies in the knowledge base article. I ran my anti-virus,
>>> anti-malware,
>>> etc. programs.
>>> Finally I did a system restore to eliminate the installs.
>>> The Windows Updater icon still appears & wants me to install this
>>> update.
>>> Any suggestions other than asking it to ignore the update?
>>> Not sure if it's relevant but I also never got the update notice for
>>> sp2,
>>> &
>>> when I tred to install KB947821, thinking it might help, it hangs on

sofla

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security updat
I know you are tyring to help but I am not a novice & am quite familiar with
the Norton Removal Tool which I ran before installing the latest version of
N360, so you are on the wrong track.

Also I have indicated that the files were not registered as installed
therefore they could not be 'uninstalled' & my only option was a System
Restore.

From what I have seen it appears that there is a problem with the latest
Windows Updater which was installedon 9/29 right before this problem occurred
& though you ask each of us to start a new thread they may well be related. I
posted because I thought the issue should be reported & was hoping that there
was a fix. Evidently there is not so unless you can come up with something
else I will thank you for your time & pop back occassionally to see if there
is a fix.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > when subscription expired.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Thanks for beginning your own, new thread!

> >> Are you referring to KB954430? If so, it's not a security update.
> >>
> >> Are you getting any error messages when you attempt to install KB955430
> >> and/or KB947821?
> >>
> >> Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your computer when you bought it?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: Windows update repeatedly successfully installs security updat
Did you mention that you'd run the removal tool? No.

Did I call you a novice? No, but if you used System Restore to "undo" an
update, you certainly qualify.

If by "Windows Updater" you mean the latest verion of WUAgent, installing or
not installing it has nothing to do with your now-many issues.

Good day to you, kind madame or sir, as the case may be.