Cannot access Windows Update screen

Natwag75

Cannot access Windows Update screen
I am running in Vista
When i click on Windows update all i get is a screen that displays nothing
but a red shield with a white 'X' in it, also a '?' mark top left. But
nothing happens when i click them.

Also, i have the red shield in mt icons tray for the windows security
alerts. When i click on this it brings me to the windows security center,
Automatic updating is switched off. If i click on 'change setting' button and
then choose 'install updates automatically' it says security center can't
change your automatic update settings so i select 'change settings manually'
and a completely blank screen opens.

Any help would be appreciated

Shenan Stanley

Re: Cannot access Windows Update screen
Natwag75 wrote:
> I am running in Vista
> When i click on Windows update all i get is a screen that displays
> nothing but a red shield with a white 'X' in it, also a '?' mark
> top left. But nothing happens when i click them.
>
> Also, i have the red shield in mt icons tray for the windows
> security alerts. When i click on this it brings me to the windows
> security center, Automatic updating is switched off. If i click on
> 'change setting' button and then choose 'install updates
> automatically' it says security center can't change your automatic
> update settings so i select 'change settings manually' and a
> completely blank screen opens.
>
> Any help would be appreciated

- Windows Vista what? (Home Basic? Home Premium? Business? Ultimate? --
No Service Packs? Service Pack 1? Service Pack 2?)
- 32-bit or 64-bit?
- What AntiVirus software are you running?
- What AntiSpyware applications have you ran?
- How are your backups? Current?

My suggestion:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Natwag75

Re: Cannot access Windows Update screen
Thank you, Shenan

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
32-bit operating system
Protected by Norton 360
Ran Anti-spyware Spy Sweeper (found nothing severe)
Dont think back up has been done for some time.

I will perform your suggestions and let you know.

Regards
Nathan

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Natwag75 wrote:
> > I am running in Vista
> > When i click on Windows update all i get is a screen that displays
> > nothing but a red shield with a white 'X' in it, also a '?' mark
> > top left. But nothing happens when i click them.
> >
> > Also, i have the red shield in mt icons tray for the windows
> > security alerts. When i click on this it brings me to the windows
> > security center, Automatic updating is switched off. If i click on
> > 'change setting' button and then choose 'install updates
> > automatically' it says security center can't change your automatic
> > update settings so i select 'change settings manually' and a
> > completely blank screen opens.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated

> - Windows Vista what? (Home Basic? Home Premium? Business? Ultimate? --
> No Service Packs? Service Pack 1? Service Pack 2?)
> - 32-bit or 64-bit?
> - What AntiVirus software are you running?
> - What AntiSpyware applications have you ran?
> - How are your backups? Current?
>
> My suggestion:
>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
> following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
> whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Download and run the MSRT manually:
>
> Reboot.
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Cannot access Windows Update screen
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**