WSUS help

robertin75

WSUS help
Hello:

Can WSUS be installed on a Windows XP PC?

I have a small 8 Windows XP PC's network and wouuld like to use the features
of WSUS.

All PC's includying the one that has a "server" role have Windows XP SP3
installed

Thanks,
Roberto

Re: WSUS help
[[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
]]

robertin75 wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Can WSUS be installed on a Windows XP PC?
>
> I have a small 8 Windows XP PC's network and wouuld like to use the
> features
> of WSUS.
>
> All PC's includying the one that has a "server" role have Windows XP SP3
> installed
>
> Thanks,
> Roberto

robertin75

Re: WSUS help
Anyone knows if this is possible?

I don't know what does PA Bear [MS MVP] tried to say.

Thanks

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
> convenience to OP.
>
> On the web:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>
> In your newsreader:
> ]]
>

> robertin75 wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > Can WSUS be installed on a Windows XP PC?
> >
> > I have a small 8 Windows XP PC's network and wouuld like to use the
> > features
> > of WSUS.
> >
> > All PC's includying the one that has a "server" role have Windows XP SP3
> > installed
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Roberto

Re: WSUS help
Sit tight and await more replies.

robertin75 wrote:
> Anyone knows if this is possible?
>
> I don't know what does PA Bear [MS MVP] tried to say.
>
> Thanks
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
>> (microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
>> convenience to OP.
>>
>> On the web:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>>
>> In your newsreader:
>> ]]
>>

>> robertin75 wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> Can WSUS be installed on a Windows XP PC?
>>>
>>> I have a small 8 Windows XP PC's network and wouuld like to use the
>>> features
>>> of WSUS.
>>>
>>> All PC's includying the one that has a "server" role have Windows XP SP3
>>> installed
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roberto

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Re: WSUS help
"robertin75" <robertin75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > Can WSUS be installed on a Windows XP PC?

As plainly documented in the WSUS product documentation -- a WSUS *server*
cannot be installed on a desktop operating system; the WSUS *console* can be
installed on a Windows XP SP3 system.

>> > I have a small 8 Windows XP PC's network and wouuld like to use the
>> > features of WSUS.

If you don't have any servers installed, you're PCs are probably better off
just using Automatic Updates; but if you really wanted to deploy WSUS in
that environment, pick one of those XP machines, install Virtual Server 2005
R2 SP2, and install WSUS v3 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 in a VM.

>> > All PC's includying the one that has a "server" role have Windows XP
>> > SP3
>> > installed

Or, have you considered just upgrading your "server" machine to actually
use Windows Server 2003 SP2?

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

robertin75

Re: WSUS help
Ok Lawrence I know understand better, thanks.

If I install Windows Server 2003 SP2 on the "server" XP PC, will all the
information,configuration,etc. be retained?

Or would I have to format the hard disk and start everything from scratch?

Thanks

> Ok Lawrence I know understand better, thanks.
>
> If I install Windows Server 2003 SP2 on the "server" XP PC, will all the
> information,configuration,etc. be retained?
>
> Or would I have to format the hard disk and start everything from scratch?

You *could* install Windows Server 2003 SP2 on that PC in a dual-boot mode,
and only boot into the Win2003 OS when you need to synchronize WSUS and
deploy updates -- but if you're going to install Win2003 on that machine,
and that machine is already being used as your "Server", there's not really
any point in maintaining a dual-boot status.

You'll likely want to backup any *data* on that machine before installing
Windows Server 2003 on the physical machine.

Personally, I'd suggest starting with the virtual machine solution until
you're comfortable with both Windows Server 2003 *and* WSUS, and then
consider converting the machine to a permanent Windows Server 2003 system.
If you determine two months into this project that WSUS really isn't a good
solution for your seven XP machines and one Windows Server 2003 system, all
you need to do is uninstall Virtual Server.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA