Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed

jmcclain

Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed
Due to recent severe instability issues, I went to the Windows Update page
and attempted to check for updates. I continually receive the error code
noted above.

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Re: Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

What "severe instability issues"?

Have you disabled Automatic Updates?
www.banthecheck.com

jmcclain wrote:
> Due to recent severe instability issues, I went to the Windows Update page
> and attempted to check for updates. I continually receive the error code
> noted above.
>
> Can anyone shed light on this issue?

jmcclain

Re: Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed
Running Windows XP SP3

Instability meaning that the system "freezes" or "drastically slows"
multiple times each day (3x so far today). The slowing down exhibits a mouse
pointer that moves very slow across the screen if it responds at all and the
machine will not do anything. The <control / alt / delete> operation does
not work.

Machine is a 2.5 year old Dell running a AMD dual core and 2gb of RAM.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> What "severe instability issues"?
>
> Have you disabled Automatic Updates?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> jmcclain wrote:
> > Due to recent severe instability issues, I went to the Windows Update page
> > and attempted to check for updates. I continually receive the error code
> > noted above.
> >
> > Can anyone shed light on this issue?

jmcclain

Re: Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed
Sorry - XP PRO SP3

"jmcclain" wrote:

> Running Windows XP SP3
>
> Instability meaning that the system "freezes" or "drastically slows"
> multiple times each day (3x so far today). The slowing down exhibits a mouse
> pointer that moves very slow across the screen if it responds at all and the
> machine will not do anything. The <control / alt / delete> operation does
> not work.
>
> Machine is a 2.5 year old Dell running a AMD dual core and 2gb of RAM.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> > posting to this newsgroup.
> >
> > What "severe instability issues"?
> >
> > Have you disabled Automatic Updates?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > www.banthecheck.com
> >

> > jmcclain wrote:
> > > Due to recent severe instability issues, I went to the Windows Update page
> > > and attempted to check for updates. I continually receive the error code
> > > noted above.
> > >
> > > Can anyone shed light on this issue?

jmcclain

Re: Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed
More info - in most cases the machine slows but never freezes completely. I
have noticed that when this happens the clock stops running. I have tried
letting it sit for 20+ minutes hoping it would revive itself, but to no
avail. I am forced to shut the machine down with the power button. One time
yesterday it actually shut itself down completely.

"jmcclain" wrote:

> Running Windows XP SP3
>
> Instability meaning that the system "freezes" or "drastically slows"
> multiple times each day (3x so far today). The slowing down exhibits a mouse
> pointer that moves very slow across the screen if it responds at all and the
> machine will not do anything. The <control / alt / delete> operation does
> not work.
>
> Machine is a 2.5 year old Dell running a AMD dual core and 2gb of RAM.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> > posting to this newsgroup.
> >
> > What "severe instability issues"?
> >
> > Have you disabled Automatic Updates?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > www.banthecheck.com
> >

> > jmcclain wrote:
> > > Due to recent severe instability issues, I went to the Windows Update page
> > > and attempted to check for updates. I continually receive the error code
> > > noted above.
> > >
> > > Can anyone shed light on this issue?

TaurArian

Re: Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed

Error code when you try to use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install
updates: "0X80248007"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958046

For the clock & freezing? Might need a new battery on the motherboard.

Freezing of the computer etc was happening a lot to a neighbours computer
(old HP) and progressively getting worse. After many trips to the shop/s and
being advised things like new motherboard etc, reload windows etc, one tech
put in a new battery on the motherboard and it hasn't frozen since.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

jmcclain wrote:
:: More info - in most cases the machine slows but never freezes
:: completely. I have noticed that when this happens the clock stops
:: running. I have tried letting it sit for 20+ minutes hoping it
:: would revive itself, but to no avail. I am forced to shut the
:: machine down with the power button. One time yesterday it actually
:: shut itself down completely.
::
:: "jmcclain" wrote:
::
::: Running Windows XP SP3
:::
::: Instability meaning that the system "freezes" or "drastically slows"
::: multiple times each day (3x so far today). The slowing down
::: exhibits a mouse pointer that moves very slow across the screen if
::: it responds at all and the machine will not do anything. The
::: <control / alt / delete> operation does not work.
:::
::: Machine is a 2.5 year old Dell running a AMD dual core and 2gb of
::: RAM.
:::
::: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
:::
:::: Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64
:::: SP2) when posting to this newsgroup.
::::
:::: What "severe instability issues"?
::::
:::: Have you disabled Automatic Updates?
:::: --
:::: jmcclain wrote:
::::: Due to recent severe instability issues, I went to the Windows
::::: Update page and attempted to check for updates. I continually
::::: receive the error code noted above.
:::::
::::: Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Re: Error number: 0x80248007 - assistance needed
See TaurArian's reply, too.

Repost: Have you disabled Automatic Updates?

The Windows Update issue notwithstanding, when's the last time you did some
serious "housekeeping" on that computer? What you described could be caused
by overheating.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial118.html

NB: If it's a Notebook PC, don't attempt such a thorough cleaning yourself!

I second TaurArian's suggestion of taking the computer to a local, reputable
and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
shop for a check-up. While the bench fee alone might set you back $75,
that's a helluva lot cheaper than a new computer!